The name of a shot [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chire, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Chire

Chire Regular Member

The shot I hit right after the backhand serve, what would you call ? It's not exactly a drive, it's more like a smash.
    I recall the national junior coach of Finland calling it a stick (sticky or something like that) smash - a quickly executed compact version of a, well, proper smash.

It bothers me as I quite often get points with shots of that type, especially right after a short backhand serve.

I hope at least someone finds some extra time to see this, with the WC as well as all the Taufik issues drawing attention.

The short video clip of the shot

Hope you don't mind checking it out, it's only approximately 1 mb large.

#1 Chire, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Looks like a flat overhead drive to me. You're also taking the shot from the side too. Nice video, btw... did you tape it with your digicam:D?

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, this is called a "stick smash". The term came from Denmark; I am not aware of any other commonly used term to describe it.

The stick smash is a smash played from behind the body. There is no power from body rotation, so it is weaker than a full smash. It is often a gambling shot, because recovery is difficult afterwards; but there's nothing wrong with gambling if the odds are in your favour :)

Good technique, by the way! :)

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

That's a sticksmash? okay..I had a different (menatl)picture. I thought it was liek a drop/smash hybrid: a very sharp angled (wrist)smash but not really powerfull...
    That looked more like a drive. drives can be angeld downwards slightly, can they?

or, option B, the most likely one: I'm wrong..;)

good footwork!

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's a bit confusing because the smash in that video is somewhat flat. The more typical tactical use of a stick smash would be to get a very sharp downwards angle.

Smashes and drives can blend together. There's a grey area where it's either a very aggressive drive or a very flat smash.

A stick smash is totally different to a drop, however.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

;) depends on the drop. a fast, anlged drop. or a slower 'coconut drop' as my ex-coach said (a slow drop that drops 'straight down' behind the net)

if you take a fast dropshot and keep hitting it harder, but keeping as much angle as possible (~right behind the front serveline) I thoguht you'd end up with a sticksmash..

7. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    Firstly, good video! Very clear. :D

Don't be bothered by the use of the forementioned shot (stick smash/drive), I think you gain a lot of points that way because it seems to be fast and well-placed.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, you're right. If you keep hitting your drops harder, then eventually they become smashes :)

Similarly, if you increase power (providing shuttle is slightly above the net):
    netshot ---> push ---> drive
    But the stick smash will generally fall well past the short service line, into the midcourt or even rearcourt.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no no..not smashes..sticksmashes..But OK, I misenterpreted it...

I thought a stciksmash was liek this: you splitjump sideways "into" a clear, cutting of it's path (easiest on forehand) and almost fully stretched reach the shuttle and wrist smash in all the way down (if your tall that's quite a mad angle you can get;) )
    That way it's not really a full smash (wrist only, so much for power:rolleyes: ) and not a drop (too fast to be a drop and lands further as well) And I thought that was a sticksmash...

10. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Thanks for all the comments!

It seems that Windows Movie Maker decreased the quality a bit as I cut that part out of the recording I recorded with my digital video camera.

Anyway, according to the national junior coach of Finland the power of a sticksmash lies solely on the forearm pronation, no power from body rotation, just as Gollum said. It is usually used to kill flat and short lifts quickly before they reach the rear end of the court.

I find this shot exceptionally effective if hit cross-court, it's just becomes a lot harder to hit though.

11. starx

starx Regular Member

sorry, but it is not stick smash

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Then explain why not, and what it is.

I would call this a flat stick smash. Others might call it a downwards drive from behind the body.

13. starx

starx Regular Member

I need time but OK.

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's my understanding of a sticksmash too. It's a smash with no body rotation and it's usually taken slightly behind the body. Power relies solely on the wrist.

#14 cappy75, Sep 20, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  15. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I hit this shot all the time in singles. I never heard it called a stick smash though - i called it a lunge smash and yes it is all about arm rotation.

You do it right you can generate a lot of shuttle velocity. However if find it to be murder on the lunge knee.

16. starx

starx Regular Member

I to try will explain stick shash.

The attitude and scissors are same as well as by normal powersmash.
    Grip is similar the long single service and the impact point is above head.
    The hand is rotating in the moment of the concussion himself around elbow
    the racket is coming down and itself along right legs.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's not the way I've been taught it. I believe a stick smash does not involve body rotation and scissor jump (because in that case, you can do an ordinary smash for more power!).

18. starx

starx Regular Member

That learn me danish coach.

19. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I'd call that a drive. Personally, I consider the stick smash to be much like the drive, but hit from overhead. The great thing about it is the short preparation and recovery time compared to the full smash.

Over here I have heard it referred to as the half-smash, not to be confused with the fast smash-slice and the half-speed full smash.