are clone models really the same in quality?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yy_ling, Sep 19, 2006.

1. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    I am sure alot of us heard about clone rackets right?
    Alot of brands like SinTec, Apacs, ProAce clones rackets, and its kinda become their habit.
    So, do you guys think the quality is just as good as the original ones?

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    maybe they leetspeak in racket names "n4n0sp33d 1337"

3. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I have a related question. Is anyone able to tell which of the clones from different brands are in fact from the same factory? For example, it appears to me that Protech's Max Nano series is no different from Bay/Baysport's Nano series. The length and size and shape are the same. Even the paintjob looks so similar.

So what brands are clones of each other because they are manufactured at the same factory, and what brands are more unique?

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Some clone racquets are very good and can be compare and as good as top yy racquet. You need to know what brand/model you like.
    2) Major brand clones have good quality, however, the characteristics might be totally different. That is why you should try out the racquet before you buy.
    3) Many clones uses same OEM to make their racquets just different paint job. This is to save money on the manufacturing cost. Different comp can share the fix costs. Many smaller brands get the "Left Over" (over stock) racquets from the oem at large discount. You just have to wait longer before the smaller clone brands to get those racquet.
    4) Wilson is the only one I know that is more unique. However, they do use their own meterial design (User same kind of tech for their tennis racquet).
    5) Some might wonder is there YY OEM racquet out there. The answer is "NO". All top end YY racquets with "Made in Japan" on it is made in Japan. So, if a seller told you that he/she gets "OEM" YY racquets from factory and that is why it is much cheaper than regular, WALK AWAY!!!

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

as for Wilson: they're not a clone brand, are they? AFAIK wilson is doing it's own thing with colours/technology/desing/etc...just like RSL, Kason and (;)offcourse) Sotx.

but if a Clonex armoranitecially 800off plays just like a yonex at800off, chances are slim..They're made in a different plant, with different QC and possibly even different specs. the feel/specs will never be completly the same..

6. silentheart

Jerby, you are right, Wilson is not a clone brand. All they copy is the frame design (so does everyone else). I like Sotx also because they do their own R&D and has a lot of great Badminton products.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Ahh yes, frame design..yes everybody copys it. every 675mm isometric looks almost the same. though there're variations, even within a brand:
    if I look closely at my w11 T-joint all three 'beams' are round and the Tjoitn feels smooth and edgeless. my w7's Tjoint is flat the the two fronts, the three beams flatten as they get closer to the T. so do my yonexes.
    there's also variations in how thick the shaft gets near the T-joint: there's an obvious buldge on my 11, though not as much on my at500. and almost none on my ns8k.

I can't imagine what a difficult job it is to design a racket...

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Yang Yang produces an NS8k clone that is so close to the Yonex that it also characteristically lacked clearance power in the hands of weaker players. Yang Yang's ability to duplicate the power weakness in the original is just uncanny. I am tempted to say the two rackets are made in the same factory.

#8 CoolDoo6, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  9. silentheart

CoolDoo6, THnaks god you are only tempted....

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    since cooldoo6 doesnt like ns8k, it belongs to his crappy racket category which all feel the same, crappy. If u ask a proficient ns8k user, then he/she can differentiate ever so small subtlety between ns8k and yangyang's clone.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

doesn't yonex have, like, it's own factory in Japan for the high-end stuff? I thought Yang Yang (just like most of the other brands) get there rackets amde in Thaiwan or China?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lol, maybe taiwan and china are clone countries of japan too.

13. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Well, the high end shoes are made in china. Who knows where Yonex might choose to manufacture their stuff. My point was that the Yang Yang racket was a sufficient good clone that it captured the spirit of the original, that it cleared horribly and reached a rediculously low height on my stand-still-and-bounce-the-shuttle test. The two rackets also sounded identical. I just didn't think rackets made in different places can have that much similarity.

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

then you thoguht wrong? Yonex has it's own factory in japan...Every high-end yonex has a 'made in japan' sticker on it...Yang Yang rackets are most liekely made in China, or Taiwan..

as for Yonex shoes: erm,,,so what? shoes are an entirely different story than rackets, yonex clothing is probably chinese as wel

But you're right it's creepy they fele so alike to you....Though cooler is probably right

15. gabxzz

gabxzz Regular Member

student
    I think most clone racquets are totally different racquets from the original, I have the Apacs Nano 9000 Speed clone, It feels totally different then the Yonex Nanospeed 9000.

16. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I will tend to agree with this statement. Of course there are clones of the popular Yonex models, but the other kind of "cloning" that is equally widespread is that groups of non-major brands are using the same factory, or even the exact same racket frame produced, just differing in the labels and designs of the artwork.

For example, if not for the slight differences in artwork, I cannot tell the difference between rackets from Protech's Max Nano series, and the equivalent range from Sintec and Bay/Baysports.

Talk about "The Clone Wars"! (Sorry, Star Wars fan here.)

17. nicexerin

nicexerin Regular Member

Computer Engineering Student, University Technolog
    its better use clonex than fakes one

18. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Could you please not bump all of these dead threads...

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, very old post.. Reminds me how NOT!, I miss the Cooldoo6 nut, though ;)

/Twobeer

20. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    U wanna buy clone?Fine..but so that u know..can something that costs 40USD be as good as something that costs 200USD?

I have clones n fakes,but i won't compare them to the authentic one.I usually buy them to play for doubles.I never use my AT900 for it,since i've broke 2 rackets in doubles.So,i use my cheap rackets.So,it's impossible if u said “Apacs ***** =Yonex*****"..because it's 2 different racket.Different materials used,different technology applied,n totally different company.