Wind direction problem in the stadium

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by weeyet, Sep 19, 2006.

1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I read this from the newspaper.... the wind problem is quite worrying especially for players in their first match.. because the stadium is only opened for 1-hour training/team/day before the tournament started..

germany's joppien has said he wants all malaysian fans to remember his name after tomorrow, because he's going to defeat Chong Wei. Joppien had played a match in the first round while Chong Wei got a bye, making Joppien had already get used to handle the wind direction. Joppien himself and Bao Chunlai has said the wind direction in the stadium need some time to get used to.

Zhang Wei/Yu Yang's match with 11th seeds Denmark pair had some conflict in their opening match due to the wind direction problem as well, finally resolved after the chief judge and Li Yongbo had some discussion..

2. Chu Liuxiang

Chu Liuxiang Regular Member

I remembered that XXZ also mentioned that LCW skill is still far away from the world class players and XXZ was beaten by LCW at 0-15 during Swiss Open 2006. Now, see how much points that Joppien could get from LCW.:D

3. blessing

blessing Regular Member

is it smth to do wif da air-con...? y european like dat 1.. too over confident........ ish.... if he lost to lee chong wei.. i gt nth to say.. he will b in hot water to face da media n his fans.. n dis fella..(Joppien).. i nvr heard his name b4..

p/s: sorry if i offended da europeans.... sorry..not really wanna to hurt u all..i jux straight forward to my opinions..

4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

If he can stretch a rubber game from LCW i would say he is good already. LCW should not play it lighly though.....

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm sure LCW is ready for it. He is getting feedbacks from the players as well regarding the wind condition in the stadium.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

wth? I can't read half of it, what are you trying to say?

as for Joppien: not smart for him to say...he's putting himself under a lot of pressure...and quite possibly humiliation...very possibly...

Joppien is a good player, europe's #3(or4) last time I checked, but like LCW...I dunno..I'd put my money on lcw

7. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Joppien lost to LCW 15-4, 15-3 in the last year Worlds, I personnaly watched this game. Joppien couldn't do nothing, he was overpowered by LCW.

However, I also watched LCW first match in the last year Worlds, he gave away 10 points in the first set by making all unforced errors. The wind situation in the last year Worlds was also pretty bad.

Having seen the progress of both players, LCW is still the favorite to win by at least 70-30 (in my opinion).

Go LCW ... :)

I talked to him after he lost to Taufik last year, he's a very nice guy and very friendly, he said he would do better this year ... I'm sure he could and would ... :)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A/C draft problem..

..same problem as last yr also, here in Anaheim...Interesting to hear what some of players, esp. Taufik, will have to say abt this recurring condition..:rolleyes:;)

9. aquaboi

aquaboi Regular Member

haha, that was funny from joppien...such cockiness...lcw will beat him easily...

10. Tjun Tjun

Tjun Tjun Regular Member

I don't think Joppien was cocky when he said he would beat LCW in straight sets. He was only joking because he was quick to add "I have never beaten him (LCW) nor do I like to play him. His defence is good and he attacks well. The only advantage I have is that I've had the benefit of playing and adapting to the court conditions". Joppein had already played 1 match yesterday whereas LCW will only play for the 1st time today. There you are, so Joppien was quite humble in fact! :)

11. aquaboi

aquaboi Regular Member

haha...thanks tjun tjun...that's what we call in the philippines "biglang bawi" meaning the statement he made after his initial one is a disclaimer to save face in the event that he loses...but cheers to him for such confidence in facing the world #1...and good luck:p

12. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i'm glad taufik said " no problem with the wind direction" :)

13. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Dont think this wind draft problem is as bad as last WC's in US...

14. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I think KBH and hafiz already told LCW about the court situation coz they had already play yesterday...So..it should be no problem...

15. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    Taufik once also was beaten 15-0 by LCW during MO2005 exactly after winning SO2005 and before winning WC2005 but however that does not determine that XXZ and TH are lousy players. BJ has however increased skiill and could beat LCW. Go ... BJ !!!.

16. Tjun Tjun

Tjun Tjun Regular Member

Correct you here. WMC told him, lah! Remember she played last nite and she should know about the wind conditions. :D :D :D

17. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I thought Joppien said he had beaten Chong Wei once in 1999, now he would like to beat him again!

18. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Yup...they are couple... she will definitely help her boyfriend...

19. Tjun Tjun

Tjun Tjun Regular Member

Of course as a professional player, he would like to beat LCW again. If not, why bother playing in WC? You don't go into a tournament with "already die" attitude. However, I must say LCW is strongly tipped to win here ........ LCW jia you! All Malaysians are 100% behind you!!!:D :D :D

20. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

no disrespect to BJ, if LCW manage to lose this match, I'm seriously speechless. I'm sure he will not make it happen since he have been improving for one whole year and then freezing now means all his hard work gone. Gone in the first round, gone by a guy called BJ ? if he drew taufik and lost in the first round, it is still understandable but, you know what i mean right