doubles question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by piclic77, Sep 19, 2006.

1. piclic77

piclic77 Regular Member

Hello,

Playing doubles the other day, my partner and i were in a defensive position ( side by side ) when a smash was hit to my partner ( left of me ) and he was able to defend it with a drop. The oposition front was able to get the drop and life behind my partner. As soon as he did the drop he did not move immediately to get the net shots by the oponent. However he said i should have moved back as soon as he went up but he was not fast enough that it was obvious that i should have moved back to cover that backcourt lift. It cost us the game.

When should i have moved back to be able to get the shot? Is it my fault for not automatically not going back. I would if it was obvious he was rushing up? I was in the middle maybe slightly positioned in the front to defend a cross court smash or cc drop. Any help would be great and thanks.

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Understanding between partners...

Your partner's general rule (the one who executed a drop shot to follow the shot in) is valid, but the more important thing is to have better understanding between partners.

On your part, you would assess whether your partner has the intention of following the drop shot in. If you think he has, take up a base position about 1/3 of the court from the baseline so that you can attack any lift. If you think he has no such intention, stay square and take care of your side of the court (including a net shot reply to your partner's drop shot).

Perhaps your opponents read you and your partner's intentions better than you did yourselves?

3. piclic77

piclic77 Regular Member

doubles question part 2

Could i have jumped in to cover the net drop and my partner would just stay in the back or cover the back, i should say since he was hesistant? And Cheung i think you are right, my partner and i played together twice only and with a very very strong player this time.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

General rule, whenever your team hits down or drops toward the net the player who hit down runs in to maintain the attack. The exception to this rule is when your on the baseline smashing and your opponent keeps lifting over the partner in the front.

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Before this question can be answered, you need to ask yourself: do you know that your partner will most likely return the smash with a block to the net, instead of a lift? If your answer is yes, you can follow the shot in to threaten the reply. If your answer is no, communicate with your partner, and work something out.

There are missing pieces to the scenario you described. Where were you and what were your intentions, when your opponent lifted?

6. piclic77

piclic77 Regular Member

I was on the other side ( right) ready to defend a cc smash or drop or clear. I felt i was in position to handle the defense and turn it on offense if the occation arise. I think he and I was watching the bird drop in aticipation it was a winner because it was very tight to the net and front opponent was more towards myside but some how he was able to rush over really fast to make the lift over my partner's head. He is over 6 feet so that helps and a very strong player.

Definitely no doubt i should be cover the back if it was obvious to me that he rushed the net. But we both stood still for the slightest moment as we allow our oponent get the drop and lift over his head. shot well made give him credit. I think if i was more focus on the shot my partner made i would have definitely rushed back in time to defend the lift. Besides my partner is the father of the very strong player that stands over 6 feet tall. Cant seem to clear over his head. all he has to do is jump slightly and wam a smash. sorry no offense or shifting of blame here just want to know if it is really my error for not getting back on time or out of position.

#6 piclic77, Sep 20, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006