Zhang Yawen's serve - 11 points penalty

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by 2cents, Sep 20, 2006.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Everybody knows Taufik boycott the HKopen because 1 point dispute with linelady. Now Zhang Yawen/Xie ZB got ripped off 11 points from the referee. 11 serves from ZYW were called violations, even though ZYW had tried all kinds of different ways to serve. ZYW protested, and got rejected, asked for seeing empire in chief, also got rejected. How come Taufik can ask the empire in chief for 1 point, while ZYW cannot for 11 points.

ZYW, only 5 feet tall, already suffers a lot for serving compete with others. If her serve is fault, then this lady's career is finished. This pair ZYW/XZB will have big problems tomorrow and the rest of the tournaments if there is any left.

How come she had been okay for the many past years? and suddenly becomes a problem?

Here is one of the frustration after serving:

Attached Files:

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I guess that's why the Russians were able to force Xie/Zhang to deuces in both sets.

However, Xie/Zhang should go all the way to the Final...even with this sudden handicap.

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Who is the Muggsy Bogues in badminton? The shortest and smallest?

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

How ridiculous it is, 11 points serving faults !!! I assume its the same serving she had used in the past but how come there was never a problem before???Is there a pure misunderstanding on the rules or her coach never corrected her or she simply made up a new style on that day. In any case....feel sorry for her.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

According to Zhang Yawen, that's a plot. But not sure from just the referees or from the IBF organization. She said, before they started, the 2nd referee bothered her, and then went to talk to the 1st referee while finger pointing to her. She felt that they talked something like plot against her. Well this is just one side story. :(

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

There used to be a special viewing device for detecting service faults. This device consists of a clear plastic piece with a straight line drawn on it. The service judge will line up the line with the server's waist and if the shuttlecork is struck above the line, it is a fault. Of course if the shirt is not tucked in, it is harder to tell where the waist is. Also, it is harder to tell where the waist is for players with a gut (like me). The umpire cannot detect service faults because the umpire seated on the umpire chair is too high resulting in the wrong angle.

7. tehsham

tehsham Regular Member

Intimidation in badminton ??? and in WC ???

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think the referee #2 may be telling referee #1 to look out for her service. To think that they were plotting against her might be a little strong (and ludicrous)

9. YiYiLiLi

YiYiLiLi Regular Member

I TOTALLY agree!!
    Well, from what I've seen her playing before, it never seemed to be such a problem; or perhaps i'm not a prof judge. However, true players wouldn't give up & fight till the end. And I believe she'll be good & the champion sooner or later!! :D

10. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    This is precisely the kind of crap that will ruin the sport!

Poor Zang Yawen.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'm surprise to hear that even after trying many different serves, she's still faulting, very odd. Unless she totally dont know the serving rules. Could it be another russian conspiracy like in figure skating judging:phehe

12. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Anyone have this video showing the 11 faults?:eek:

If Lin Dan can ask the Line Judge replaced in HK Open,
    Zhang Yawen should ask to have the service judge replaced!

#12 Viper2005, Sep 20, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  13. kobe77sg

kobe77sg Regular Member

I think badminton should use the video replay ASAP to avoid sucha controversial matches

14. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Her first reaction or correction was to put her skirt into her short pants, so make it looks like her waist raised, but didn't help at all, still called fault. Then she pulled up her short pants, of course didn't work. Then she changed her racket's orientation, still fault, ...

My personal feeling is that she might a little bit violate the rule, but 1st, as several friends here indicated, it is difficult to determine where is the waist. Most important, she is so short, so it's a big disadvantage for short people to serve lower than their waist. If you serve very low, you can only let the shuttle over the net in a slow curve.

Short people already suffer a lot, it's kind of not kind to ask them too much and too strict. But for Yao Ming, he could smash with racket lower than his waist. ;)

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i wouldn't go as far as saying "they're plotting against her"..I think the other Referee was simply just being TOO PICKY!...That's too bad for ZYW though..:p..
    hmm, i understand...i think one way she can change her serve is to maybe step back a step or step and a half if she wants to avoid the "slow curve" delivery..Of course, she has to be ready on her toes because she's now a bit further from the T...:p.

#15 ctjcad, Sep 20, 2006
  16. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Now I understand why Sally, and those Iranian females put self into an envelope clothing to play. Don't let the judge find where your waist is !

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Poor Zhang Yawen. She is a pro my goodness. Something must be very wrong here. 11 points? Thats way too MUCH! I protest!

18. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Step back will slow down the speed reach the other side of the court, and also elongate the time to reach the other side of the court.

19. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    I read the story from this article,

http://www.chinabadminton.com/news/200692180849.asp

The incompetent european judges interfered with the Chinese players' warmups and penalized them during the game. They targeted the small woman even before the start of the game.

I want to watch a video of the game. I am very eager to find out the judges' degree of stupidity.

#19 CanuckBur, Sep 20, 2006
  20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i know it will do so-there's a drawback..that's why i said the latter, that she then has "to be ready on her toes" and stay up a bit...that's the only way, as the angle will permit, she can eliminate "the slow curve" of her serve without having to serve "above" the waist..;)

#20 ctjcad, Sep 20, 2006