World Championships 2006 Day 6 (23/09)

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by badMania, Sep 22, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

MEN'S SINGLES SEMI-FINAL
    Bao Chunlai vs Lee Hyun Il -- both players surprised me in overcoming supposedly more superior opponent. Bao has a slight edge.

Chen Hong vs Lin Dan (MATCH OF THE DAY) -- you can see the hunger in Chen Hong and if there's no team order for tomorrow's match, he can win :cool:

MEN'S DOUBLES SEMI-FINAL
    Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun vs Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen (MATCH OF THE DAY) -- if there's any pair who can stop Fu/Cai, it's Eriksen/Hansen. It has been a close affair between them this year, with the Danes winning at China Masters and the Chinese taking a revenge at the Thomas Cup Final. I hope the Danes win in what could be their last WC.

Anthony Clark/Robert Blair vs Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen -- expect another tight contest, with the ex World Champion getting into another Final.

WOMEN'S SINGLES SEMI-FINAL
    Zhang Ning vs Petra Overzier -- it has been a magnificent tournament for the German player regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's match..probably the best of her career! Zhang Ning lost a set to Tracey Hallam yesterday, so, we might see another upset in the making?

Xie Xingfang vs Xu Huaiwen (MATCH OF THE DAY) -- Xie to win!

WOMEN'S DOUBLES FINAL
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui vs Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen -- the more senior pair to win!

MIXED DOUBLES SEMI-FINAL
    Koo Kien Keat/Wong Pei Tty vs Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg -- the English pair has done the hard job of beating the Chinese. With Clark also involved in the men's doubles semi-final, I think the Malaysian will go all the way now!

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam (MATCH OF THE DAY) -- it's now or never for both pairs since they are likely to face a relatively inferior opponent in the Final on Sunday. I sense that Sudket/Saralee have a mission to fulfill...

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Anyone know the order of play for tomorrow? If Bao plays first then LD Vs CH could be interesting.

LHI has good record against LD and CH. LD says LHI is the player type he hates. He has such control over the pace, always slows the game down. LD likes to control the pace fast and slow, but LHI can control better and always slow down.

So happy Bao won, he seems such a nice guy, a shame he gets so nervous. If LD vs BCL final, then it will just be like Old times.

3. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    MEN'S SINGLES SEMI-FINAL
    Bao Chunlai vs Lee Hyun Il
    Chen Hong vs Lin Dan

MEN'S DOUBLES SEMI-FINAL
    Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun vs Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen
    Anthony Clark/Robert Blair vs Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen

Zhang Ning vs Petra Overzier
    Xie Xingfang vs Xu Huaiwen

WOMEN'S DOUBLES FINAL
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui vs Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen

MIXED DOUBLES SEMI-FINAL
    Koo Kien Keat/Wong Pei Tty vs Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Unfortunately according to tournamentsoftware Bao-Lee would be played first. If Lee wins, will CH surrender to LD? That would be so sad for him. He may not play so well and be so lucky next time.

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I want a LHI vs CH final. I think that would be the best entertainment value.

6. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Before I had my prediction on SF , a quick quiz first:

Before this WC start, who do you think would play twice at semifinal stage in WC 2006?

Is it : A. Gao Ling in WD and XD
    B. Lee Hyo Jung in WD and XD
    C. Jens Erikssen in MD and XD
    D. Zhang Ya Wen in WD and XD
    E. All the answers are wrong.

Probably none of us will pick the E answer. But there is one person who will play twice at SF stage WC 2006. No, not even Saralee, Gail Emms, Koo Kien Kieat or Wong Pei Ty success to achieve that.

But he is less popular and underestimated Anthony Clark. Probably even he himself cannot predict that he will play both MD and XD in SF WC 2006. And will be the only person who do that in this year WC.

What a surprise of this year WC.

Anthony Clark will be the first English male who play MD and also XD in one WC. Even Simon Archer or Nathan Robertson can achieve that.

Can he better his record by being the only person who play twice in WC 2006 final? I started to believe maybe he can. :) Good job Anthony Clark!

7. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

China lead the SF stage by claiming 10 spots, not as many as LYB hope maybe but its better than WC 2005. The second nation is one big surprise. Not Malaysia, Korea, or even Denmark but England with 3 SF spot. Wow!

Denmark and Germany both had 2 representative, Malaysia, Korea and Thailand each had one representative.

A set back for Malaysia and Korea, cause both of the nation probably hope at least 2 or 3 players/pairs in SF. But the worst probably Indonesia. :(

From 2 and half winner last year plus one runner up, we ended being ZERO repeat ZERO player in SF stage. What a set back. We only managed 2 pair in QF round and lost all today.

8. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper

Yeah, Chen Hong is absolutely unstoppable when his mind is in the game & playing at his best. The only the person who can stand a chance would be an in-form & motivated Taufik Hidayat. Now if he can play like this consistently, he'd be my #1 favorite player.

9. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

From 22 prediction yesterday, I made 9 wrong. What a mess. Lots of big suprises happen in all category.

Here is my SF and WD Final prediction.

XD SF:

KKK/Wong Pei Ty VS Anthony Clark/Donna Kellog Chances:50:50

Who would had tought that both this pair knocked out former XD winner from Indonesia and China. So it hard to predict who will win this matches. Probably it will depend on both pair determination. Which pair had won this matches the most and don’t give up at any point.

Nathan R/Emms G VS Saralee/Sathinee Chances 55:45

Nathan/Emms are back. Judging by how they demolish Thomas/Kamila in straight set, they will reach final and attempt to be the winner this time.

MD:

Cai Yun/Fu Hai Feng VS Jens E / Martin LH Chances 52:48

Both had a tie 5-5 record. But watching how the China pair demolish Luluk/Alven in 2 easy sets, Cai/Fu will roll to Final in 3 tight sets.

Anthony Clark/ Robert Blair VS Jonas R/Lars P Chances 45:55

The best chance for JP and LP to advanced for the second time into WC final. They should win in2 tight sets. But if they under estimated the British pair, Anthony/Robert probably can santach yet another surprise winner in 3 sets.

WS:

Zhang Ning VS Petra Overzier Chances 60 :40

What a big suprises from Petra. After beating Wang Chen, she beat Jiang YJ in 3 sets also. Could she do it three times beating China girls in a row?

No. The onlt one that can stop Zhang Ning to grab her second WC title is probably only XXF.

Xu Huai Wen XS XXF Chances 45:55

XXF play very good since R16. Plus a 3-0 record against Xu, XXF will sail to final round with 2 close sets fight.

MS:

Bao Chunlai VS Lee Hyun Il : Chances 54:46

The record is pretty close 4-3. But BCL confidence must be soaring high after defeat his nemesis LCW yesterday. So 2 closed sets for BCL.

Lin Dan VS Chen Hong Chances 52:48

No one will predict Chen Hong will sail to SF . Not after seeing Taufik and Peter Gade at his quarter. But he amazingly sail trough SF by beating his rivals in 3 sets. CH had better record against LD 5-4.

But he probably tired now. So LD will win in 3 tight sets.

WD:

Gao Ling/Huang Sui VS Zhang Ya Wen/Wei Yi Li Chances 50:50

I pick ZYW/WYL to win just because I want a new pair to win WD title. :D But ZYW/WYL ad he skill to win over their friends and rivals. So far they had beat seed number 4,6 and 2. Can they also beat seed number one?

10. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    Will LHI wins? Or we'll get to see both of the finalist are China's players?
    China has done a great job..
    So sad for us Malaysian that Malaysian player can't make it to the final..

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Love the colour coordination, blue=guys, pink=girls ;)

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

MS must be better than he hoped. WD and WS who cares. But LYB may be a bit dissapointed by Jiang Yanjiao. MD as expected and XD must dissapointed him very very much! Sent 4 pairs but none is in the semis!

13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Would CHN MS be cowards?

Would the CHvsLD match be fake?The organisers should have known better to schedule the all-CHN semi first! If LHI wins , would CH have to give a W/O to LD? We'll see what sort of stuff CHN MS is made of or rather LYB.

14. virusvoodoo

court mopper

I think the Men's single winner will be a Chinese player at this year World Championships. It looks like the final will be between Chen Hong & Bao Chunlai and Chen Hong will come out on top if he continues his winning performance. I want Chen Hong to win this title this year.

As for Men's doubles, at least one Danish pair will make it through to the final. The English duo are easier to overcome than Fu Haifeng & Cai Yun, so it's more likely that the former World Champions Lars Paaske & Jonas Rasmussen will be waiting in the final. There is a good chance that they can retain the title if their teammates, Jens Eriksen & Martin Lungarrd-Hansen can beat Fu Haifeng & Cai Yun but it is no easy task! Although my money is on LP/JR, I want JE/MLH to win as their retirement days are drawing near.

In the mixed doubles events I can't believe both Chinese top mixed pair crashed out. It should be Suket/Saralee's title this year if they do not mess up.

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The schedule is predetermined (not at discretion of stadium organisers) MS SF 1 must be played before MS SF 2. Organisers may have discretion on whether MS1 comes before or after WS2 for example, but not sure.

LD Vs CH is the bottom half of the draw, so BCL Vs LHI will be first.

I think no advantage fo LD or CH to be "saved" they will both have tough games to play against LHI if he wins.

What will be interesting is that all Four remaining players have had questions over their championship play in the Majors over the years (despite being high class players non has won.) who will rise to the challege? I am Torn between CH and BCL (although I am biased as LD not a favourite of Mine).

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

My predictions (winners on left as usual)
    MEN'S SINGLES SEMI-FINAL
    Lee Hyun Il v Bao Chun Lai
    Only picked Lee to avoid an all-Chinese final. Plus Lee is living up to his reputation as a big match player

Lin Dan v Chen Hong
    Wow, how many bullets do have to put in Chen Hong to kill him off. Lin Dan's turn next and he's got a big gun

MEN'S DOUBLES SEMI-FINAL
    Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen v Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun
    I said the Danes were on a mission and they should squeak one out in this Battle Royale

Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen v Anthony Clark/Robert Blair
    Two words: Jonas Rasmussen. 'nuf said

Zhang Ning vs Petra Overzier
    Tracey winning one set will be a wake up call for Zhang. Watch her tighten up her game

Xie Xingfang vs Xu Huaiwen
    Xie playing quite well to take it comfortably

WOMEN'S DOUBLES FINAL
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui vs Wei Yili/Zhang Yawen
    The seniors will be "given" the match

MIXED DOUBLES SEMI-FINAL
    Koo Kien Keat/Wong Pei Tty vs Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg
    KKK is playing with steely determination. Still too early for the MAS pair to go home

Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms vs Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thoungthongkam
    So sad the Thais have to meet the ENG pair. Will be close but Nathan/Gail are playing with a chip on their shoulders

17. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    i think LD has only lost to LHI once and that was when LD was like 19 or something.

it doesnt matter if Bao or LHI wins tomorrow, LD will be going through regardless.

18. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    madbad, i like your pre game report

19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You have spoken to Li Yong Bo then?!

20. virusvoodoo

court mopper

Nah, If there's no "team order" then Chen Hong will likely to roll through and win the final. When he's on fire, there's hardly anyone who can stop him. I mean look at the 2005 China Open; Chen Hong beat Lin Dan in QF, Peter Gade in SF, then Bao Chunlai in the final.

I wonder who he beat in the R16 of the 2005 China Open? Was it Taufik Hidayat?