Malaysians blame umpire and service judge after defeat

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by *izzyC*, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

MALAYSIA were “served” out of the World Championships’ men’s doubles competition when the last remaining pair Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari-Lin Woon Fui went down 17-21, 19-21 to Denmark’s Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen in the quarter-finals yesterday.
    But the Malaysians felt they were beaten not by their opponents but by umpire Cormack Breslin and service judge Philip James.
    The national number three pair were so incensed with the calls made by the two match officials from England throughout the match that they stormed off the court after the defeat without shaking hands with the Danish pair and the officials.
    National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky described some of the decisions by the officials as “among the worst match officiating I have seen throughout my playing and coaching career”.
    The former world champion from Indonesia claimed to have counted at least eight situations where the officials were erroneously in favour of the Europeans.
    James continually ignored the Malaysian players’ pleas that the Danes were making service faults. But he faulted the Malaysians’ service on several occasions.
    “I do not mind losing, but not like this. The service judge refused to take action even when the Denmark players were lifting their racquets too high while serving,” said a teary-eyed Fairuzizuan after the match.
    “We could only protest to the umpire, but what can we do when he chooses not to listen. Hopefully, we will cross paths with the Danes when the world meet comes to Malaysia next year.”
    In the first game, the national number three pair kept pace with the Danish 2003 world champions, until 15-15. Paaske and Rasmussen then pulled away to secure the game 21-17.
    The Malaysians started off the second game strongly and led 19-16 before they were distracted by the service judgments.
    The Danes took the opportunity to reel off five consecutive points to secure their spot in the semi-finals.
    Rexy was more direct with his accusations. Asian players, he said, were being victimised in the World Championships in Madrid.
    “There was no fairness not just in our match, but almost every tie where there was an Asia vs Europe match-up. The match officials awarded eight free points to Denmark today.
    “I find it amusing that these ‘wrong decisions’ always happened whenever the Danes were trailing or were nearing the 21-point mark.
    “With the current scoring system where every mistake earns the opposition a point, the eight points lost proved to be decisive,” said Rexy.
    “I am not saying this because all the Malaysian pairs lost here. But after being sickened by what has happened in Madrid so far, I would love to see an Asian pair like Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng lifting the men’s doubles title,” added Rexy. With Fairuzizuan and Woon Fui’s defeat, Malaysia’s campaign in the men’s doubles has ended. Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah crashed out in the third round to Indonesia’s Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan on Thursday while Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat withdrew from the competition following the death of Chong Ming’s father.

Source : The Star

2. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

The service judge sucks in this WC, what a shame. 8 faults? Thats too much! And ZYW's incident also clearly shows that!

3. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Asian players, he said, were being victimised in the World Championships in Madrid.
    “There was no fairness not just in our match, but almost every tie where there was an Asia vs Europe match-up. The match officials awarded eight free points to Denmark today.
    “I find it amusing that these ‘wrong decisions’ always happened whenever the Danes were trailing or were nearing the 21-point mark.

That is quite a serious accusation. I didn't get to watch the earlier matches. Is it true guys? Did it really happen to Asian players only?

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Actually.. i dont see many European players got faulted. I'm not discriminating. Its just a coincident i guess. Everytime i see the asians serve.. they kinda feel nervous about it. And this is abnormal.

5. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

should have invited linesman n service judges from other countries as well....more neutral....

but then again, not gonna make much diff....like taufik or who said, need to incorporate technologies...can't just rely on traditional bias human judgement...instant replay, etc etc....lots of professional sports are adapting it already!

6. pramilainc

pramilainc Regular Member

ACGT
    I think it is ridiculous that whenever MAS/IND get defeated they come up with some racist remark to defend their loss. I think a more credible explanation is that European players, being taller, are allowed to serve from a heigher position than Asian players according to current IBF regulation. Therefore the bias lies with IBF ruling, not necessarily with umpires/refrees. It is absolutely disgusting to come up with derogatory racist remarks just to save your face in defeat.

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    you will know if you actually watched the match

8. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

Just wondering if badminton has players associations or something so they can bring this matter as a group of players together rather than individual or individual countries?

would have make larger impact to the IBF...go on strike or something...lol

9. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

You should just keep your mouth shut and go and actually watch the replay.
    We are not the ones being racist here. The european officials are and we are acting in response to their racist behavior.

Too many years under Britain rule ruins you judgement, doesn't it.

10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It seems to me the service judges are just being extremely strict. Almost all the faults are on short players like Zhang Yawen, Chin/Wong (in contrast, Wei Yili, the only tall player among the four, got only one fault I think), Luluk, etc. I remember Faruzizuan/Lin are not tall either. In general Asians are shorter than Europeans so the latter is benefitted.

However the timing evidence presented by Rexy is interesting.

Cai/Fu is as tall as Europeans, so they should be kind of safe. Although they are considerably shorter than E/L... :)

11. pramilainc

ACGT
    What is ur problem...? I wasn't making any personal comment at you or any other member in the forum. It was in response to the article and I was accusing MAS/IND coaches and other officials...
    I guess now I know who the racist here, if they is one..

FYI, I have watched all the matches on TV courts...

12. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

And that's why I never understand a lot of you people here who are from Asian countries. It's a dog eat dog world outside, pride is involved. And a lot of times you all would hope that caucasion players beat Asian players? Go and stand in front of a mirror and look at yourself. Sometimes you all just make me feel ashamed of you all.

Look at them. Caucasians always support each other (sometimes even resorting to immoral tactics like many of such cases). But you Asians are willing to stand on their side, trying to be like gentleman and say nice things.

13. pramilainc

ACGT
    Go read my reply again, I didn't even make a single racist remark or implication.. I dont know how you came to your conclusion...
    Lets stop this here, we are here to discuss badminton, not about caucasians or politics or history...

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    gentlemen, please watch your language and tone here. overly offensive posts will and had caused members to be banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.