Badminton Rules

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Wonger8, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Wonger8

Wonger8 Regular Member

Hello everyone, i'm kinda ify on the badminton rules and i was just wondering on one specific badminton rule; when hitting the shuttle at the net, is it that ur not allowed to swing and then hit the net or is it that you're not allowed to hit over the net?

Any replies would be great!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when the rally is in progress, in no circumstances shall you or your racket touch the net.

you are allowed to follow through to the other side of the net, given that the contact point is on your side.

3. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    What happens if the strings from the racquet breaks during a rally? Are you a llow to stop the rally or the rally must continue?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. if your equipment fails during the rally, it is no one else but your fault. the rally should not be halted as a result.

5. quik_silver

Analyst
    Thanks for the clarification kwun. I always thought you are allow to stop the rally due to equipment failures.

6. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    so either your partner can win that point without you or you lose the point during equipment failure ;)

7. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Or you dash off court and get a replacement.

8. setaa

setaa Regular Member

haha for real? is that allowed?

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes. Tony did that in US Open before, I think. :rolleyes:

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, that's strictly speaking not allowed.

you are not allowed to leave the court (off-court) vicinity without the umpire's permission.

however, you can always put a good racket ready next to the court, then you can grab it while you are still inside the court.

read the rules for more detailed information.

11. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Yes it is allowed, strictly speaking or otherwise. You may grab a racquet that is at courtside during a point (and you do not have to saty within the court's lines to do so), but you need the umpire's permission at any other time. In the laws:

"16.5.2 No player shall leave the court during a match without the umpire’s permission, except during the intervals as described in Law 16.2. "

and in "Recommendations to Technical officials" (which are the WBF's instructions to umpires and other officials) it says:

"3.5.4.2 Any offending side may have to be reminded that leaving the court needs the umpire’s permission (Law 16.5.2). If necessary, Law 16.7 shall be applied. However, change of a racket at courtside during a rally is permitted. "

12. lspbliss

lspbliss Regular Member

I remembered seeing a men doubles rally featuring Koo Kien Kiat and Chan against their opponents in the Singapore Open 2006. During the rally, Koo's racquet string snapped and realising that, he virtually dashed out of the court, grabbed his backup racquet leaving his partner to handle the situation for a second or two and continued the rally in almost real time!! Couldn't recall if they managed to savage that point or not but Koo did managed to return a shot. I was amazed by his reaction after I came to realise what was going on later.

13. quik_silver

Analyst
    But I was wondering, do professional players break their strings or racquets often. So far I haven't seen any racquet failures ever since I started to watch badminton matches. :confused:

14. setaa

setaa Regular Member

i think taufik once broke 3 strings in a game. i think on wc '05 forgot which match though

15. wirre

wirre Regular Member

In a swedish championship I watched a MD where one of the pairs managed to break the strings on all of their rackets in the same game:eek: They had 3 each.....ended up with them having to borrow rackets from some of the spectators (juniors in the club) to finish the match. And then it was a rush to the stringing machine before the next round later in the day :D

One reason you personally haven't seen any failures, at least not when pro players involved, might be that they have several identical rackets. So unlike us poor amateurs they don't have to play with old worn strings (or rackets). They can change to another racket long before any string/racket breakage. And most probably they will have any racket used during the day to be restringed if advancing to the next days play. Probably a luxury only professionals (or at least national championship level) can afford.

16. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

One exception.
    From the rules somewhere - If the shuttle head seperates from the base then it's a let.
    However nothing in the rules about the net or the net posts collapsing during a rally.....

17. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Well, law 14 says "It is a let if ...

14.2.5 in the opinion of the umpire, play is disrupted or a player of the opposing side is distracted by a coach;

or 14.2.7 any unforeseen or accidental situation has occurred. "

Doesn't that cover the situation of a collapsed net post?

18. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    In the final of the mixed doubles of the Danish open in 2004, Nathan Robertson broke the string on all his racquets and even all of Gail Emms' spare racquets. :crying:

I think one of the coaches went off to try and get some re-strung for him, but they didn't get back in time before he broke the last one. In the end one of the officials put some Yonex racquets near his bag and he ended up having to use one of those.

In view of the fact that's he's sponsored by Carlton I should imagine that they weren't very pleased with him. It was really funny though watching him on the court trying to hide the Yonex logo! :D

By the way, does anyone know which tournament it was when KKK had to leave the court to get a new racquet? I would love to see that! :)