Arm pain after switching from feather to plastics...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Tweak, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    After playing a few phys. ed sessions with plastic shuttles at school after playing a whole summer with feathers, I've been experiencing arm pain. No change in technique or rackets, but I get some pain in my arm after a few doubles matches.

I did a search on this and found one other person that had the same experience. Does anyone have any tips on avoiding the arm pain as I will have to adjust to plastic shuttles anyways if I want to make the school team?

Edit: Sorry, late at night, posted in the wrong forums =X Would a moderator please move it into the right one? thanks =p

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Probably due to the vibration. Plastics shuttles tends to create and send more vibrations to your arm and elbow. That may be the cause of the pain.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You might wanna smash alittle less with plastic as it will aggravate your pain.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i get that a lot as well, when i play matches with some clubs who use plastics. yeah, i think the vibration is the main cause, also those shuttles are heavier and hence put more pressure on your arm when you hit them. there is a straightforward, instant cure though .... stop using plastics! :p

5. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Plastics are heavier during play even though their weight is supposed to be same as feathers. A replacement PU grip on top of your existing grip will take out a great deal of the shuttle impact recoil shock. A futher measure is to lower the string tension. Although, plastics are best played using slightly higher tension than what you need for feathers. Additional measures are: use a heavier racket; use a more flexible racket.

6. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    just to add on a bit to tweaks question, will I experience any difference if i switch from plactic exclusive training to a feather tournament/game?

7. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Yes you will actually. With feather you have more control and basically you want a higher tension on your racquet so you can use that to your advantage dosnt always work for everybody but for most people its true. When playing though you will notice that you have to use more power to clear because feather is harder to clear for some than plastic but you will notice how much more control you have. This might not be a problem for most but for some it will, when you start to play with feather you will notice that your shots are alot slower and well thats just because of the feather shuttles as opposed to nylon where you can just crank (hit hard) them wit a smash it wont be the same with feather for some people at first.

8. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the quick responses guys.

I guess I'll have to tone down my smashing a bit to avoid any more arm pain. And sadly, where I live, high school teams only use plastic shuttles (I think) unless they do the jrs use plastic, and srs use feathers but it seems unlikely.

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

with the exception of a few clubs, and obviously badminton alberta tournaments, you're going to be using plastics everywhere else. if you're playing for an public school board highschool, you'll be using plastics all year. mavis 300 is the standard.

10. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    exactly, ive been training mavis 300 green without exception for the past month, and i have a tournament next weekend w/ feathers, so i dont know if ill get use to them in time or no
    its my first year playing competetive badminton btw

11. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

that means you still have a week before the tournament. buy some feathers and practice with them a few times in the week before the weekend. it won't take long to adjust to them.

the biggest difference is that the feathers recover a bit faster than the plastics, so they drop earlier. net shots are usually a bit tighter. and lastly, plastics fly a bit quicker since the skirt isn't as rigid and stiff as the feathers, so they do compress occasionally in mid-flight/shot, resulting in less than designed air resistance.

however, in the end, i'm sure theres others that share my opinion when i say its easier going from plastics to feathers than the other way around. so you'll do just fine.

12. iMakk

iMakk Regular Member

Use Shockless Gromet Rackets

I play regularly with plastic shuttles and I have had a terrible problem with my elbow because of similar reasons as mentioned in this thread. However, occasionally when I played with feather shuttles, I found them very comfortable on my arm and elbow.

After much treatment and change of about 5 to 7 rackets, I have found that rackets having shockless gomets are the best if you have this problem. The shockless system absorbs the extra jerk and gives a kind of soft feel to your strokes, similar to what a feather shuttle produces.

I have been using MP27 and MP 28 for this reason for some time now and it has been working well. Now the latest MP29 also has shockless grommets.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lower string tension is the solution to save your arm/elbow, as well as extend the string life span. ;)