Edmonton Club Derrick

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Perfection, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Perfection

Perfection New Member

Does anyone go to club derrick on here? I need some info on it about how to join and is it really worth that amount of money. Thanks.

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Im in the derrick club.
    Firstly, lets state that Royal Glenora is the largest and probably the best Badminton Club in Edmonton.

If you are looking for extrodinairly good coaching and to become the best player you can possibly be in the shortest amount of time with ALOT of hard and work, join Royal Glenora instead.
    Derrick Club lessons and pratices are really focused on you improving your own game with some general guidelines from the coach about how to play. To get better coaching you have to pay MORE money but having private lessons, which are infact, very very good. Most of the people here are really nice and just play at the derrick because it is a better/friendlier atmosphere than the competetive Glenora (IMO).

If it is just you that is coming to the Derrick, whether it is worth it or not comes down to how easily you can make friends :). If you immediately get warmed up to from all the members of your group (intermediate, Competetive C, B, and A respectively) then you'll probably have a blast playing here. You probably wont be coached as well as in Glenora, but the atmosphere isnt as competetive and is more friendly. If you already have friends playing here, then you should fit in no problem. If youre by yourself, get a friend or have some good social skills.
    The easiest way to get around the cost is to have the coach sponser you - http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35757

Personally, i go to the jr high school right ahead of the derrick, and all of my friends are members and play there, so i joined as well and walk there after school to play with 3-5 of my friends. Unfortunately, they're all in Competetive 'B' and im in 'C'.

Being a member at the derrick gives you alot of perks too like the awesome cafe, the swimming pool and the decent gym as well as nice golf places if thats your thing.

Personal preference. I chose derrick over glenora because firstly, i got sponsered and secoundly, all of my friends go there.

3. Perfection

Perfection New Member

Yeah I was thinking of joining with a friend and we're thinking of getting good in a very short period. But I'm not quite sure which club, Glenora or Derrick, to join due to limitation of transportation. Does anyone know if Glenora or Derrick is closer to the west side near the WEM. And to join Derrick or Glenora can you just drop by the club and sign up?

4. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    i cant speak for glenora, but at the derrick you can. Just drop by after 4:00 on a weekday. Theres usually a lesson then and the coach will be there. Ask for 'Coach Maa' and tell him you want to join. You'll need to pay membership to the derrick (unless sponsered) and for badminton lessons in particular to the coach, then you're good.
    no idea about glenora though, never been there.

5. Perfection

Perfection New Member

Alright thanks, I think I'll try Derrick to start out. Hope we can play sometime together. :)

6. harmono

harmono Regular Member

I'd love to join the Rolal G, but I simply can't afford it.

What does playing at the Derrick set you back?

7. chris1985

chris1985 Regular Member

how much is it to join ?

8. LollolZero

LollolZero New Member

none
    Is there a site for Derrick club i cant find it cus i want to know the prices and stuff

9. savski

savski New Member

How much does it cost to play at the Derrick club?

10. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    little bit cheaper than RG, but still expensive

11. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    i think the yearly memebership is 2000-3000$, whereas the glenora one is 7600

12. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    I think the $7600 is a share you buy one time, after that there is something like around $200 yearly fee....someone may want to correct me on this one....