Cheers Youth International Badminton Championships 2006

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Sealman, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    How come I didn't see you at the Cheers Asian Satellite? I met Iwan and had a good chat with him!

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Hello Loh,

I missed the Cheers Asian Satellite as I was in Bangkok for a business trip :crying:

But I managed to find time to play badminton with some BC Thailand members eg. Nan, Paul etc. Very friendly and polite group of players :)

Too bad I missed the coup. It would have been very exciting!

Cheers

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fantastic that you managed to play with our friends from Bangkok! Good that you maintain friendly ties with our neighbours.

The coups in Thailand as in the past have largely been bloodless. Even the ordinary man in the street presented flowers to the soldiers, like peace time! :)

Hope to see you at TPSH soon. I look forward to more stories from Bangkok. ;)

5. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Pity the poor Thai people, having to live with a whole bunch of egoistic and messed up army generals.

6. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  7. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Extracted from SBA website:

Apart from the regular age group categories, there will also be the inaugural CHEERS Invitational School Team Challenge whereby the top 4 Boys' and Girls' Secondary School in Singapore will be fighting it out for their respective titles.

There will also be prize winning opportunities for spectators and a YONEX Sales Booth on site on the day of the Grand Finals.

More details:
    http://www.singaporebadminton.org.sg/announce/detail/CYIdetails.pdf

8. roller

roller Regular Member

cool there are players from philippines, iraq, cambodia, sri lanka, Mauritius...

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Was there last night watching the Under-17 singles matches. The boys and girls were very skilful imho.

I think the matches were running behind schedule. I left the sports hall at around 1am and the matches were still on-going. Surprised to see Mr. Loh, our 'BC Singapore ambassador' there as one of the linesmen. Very hardworking indeed. :)

Will try to take some photos.

cheers

PS. I thought it was freezing in the sports hall. you might need a windbreaker.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Sealman,

You're luckier that you left at least 45 min earlier than me. But I shouldn't complain as I understand that some officials had to stay until about 3 am the night before.

The Toa Payoh Sports Hall is a better venue for this Youth International, but it could only accommodate 4 courts at a time. And with so many events for the boys and girls plus the fact that some matches went to 3 games, the schedules have been affected and went beyond the normal time.

For general information, the following were the entries for the various categories, the Boys' Singles U17 (BSU17) having attracted the highest number of 128 entries:

U11: BS 32; GS 32 (No Doubles, only Singles)
    U13: BS 64, BD 32: GS 32, GD 32
    U15: BS 64, BD 32: GS 64, GD 32
    U17: BS 128, BD 64; GS 64, GD 32 (Total number 288, making it the highest)
    U19: BS 64, BD 32 (No entries for girls)

BS (Boys' Singles), BD (Boys' Doubles)
    GS (Girls' Singles), GD (Girls' Doubles)

There were also 32 qualifiers trying to get into the main draw.

Total number of entires for the main draw: 800 (Boys 512 and Girls 288).
    Each match is about 25-30 min.

This is my first experience as an official line judge as I've just completed the umpires' course about 2 weeks ago and now have to log in some practicals. I think many of the officials worked very hard to try to expedite the proceedings and there were as many as 11 teams that I know were in attendance at one time.

More volunteers as line judges are needed and people like you who play badminton will be the most ideal candidates. You will be given at least a Yonex T-shirt, a small allowance and some refreshments in between. So instead of just watching from the gallery, how about coming in tonight with some of your friends to volunteer as line judges? I think my chief umpire/referee will be most delighted to have you. :)

Yes, the hall got colder as the minutes ticked away. Luckily I've got a windbreaker which I wore for the last two matches that I acted as line judge.

Good that you'll take some pics as my camera has gone for servicing and will only be ready in a week. :(

Will I see you and your friends tonight? Please wear black or dark pants if you can. ;)

11. modious

modious Regular Member

You mean we can just volunteer to be the line judges? No need to go through any practical/theory?

my goodness 3am?? That's so.....

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Modious, can you make it this evening? Line judging needs sharp eyes and concentration to make the right calls. It is different from umpiring for which you've to undergo a course and practicals.

You know the game and the lines, what is "in" and what is "out". You only have to get acquainted with the hand signals (only three) and shout "out" and with hands outstretched when the shuttle is out. I was entirely new to this last night, but I managed. I'm sure you can do better. Sealman saw me in action and I hope I've not disappointed him. :p

Give me a call if you can make it. Others too! I'll be at TPSH at about 6 pm. I have volunteered till the Finals on Sat. ;)

#12 Loh, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  13. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Hello Loh, sorry I'm still stuck in the office but will go down later to give you some moral support. :)

hmmm it could have been worse if the old scoring system was used...

14. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    full marks for you! but thought I saw the umpire overrule one of your line calls :D Nevermind lah, practice makes perfect...

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Really, I didn't realise that. There was no dispute by any player on my line calls and the umpire didn't indicate any disapproval. Maybe you saw a different match. And remember you were quite a distance away and some of the matches were quite exciting! As a result, you might have got mixed up with some of the matches. That's why you said you 'thought' you saw... :D

In any case, the matches went more or less on schedule last evening, although some did go the full distance of 3 games.

Hope to see you this evening:) .

16. modious

modious Regular Member

I had an appointment yesterday night. Wish I can go down later but I'm playing badminton at Bishan tonight! Prolly drop by on Fri/Sat.

17. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    A very professional linesman :D

Attached Files:

18. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    posting only a few photos as some of my camera settings were incorrect sigh... anyway here goes..

Attached Files:

19. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    The Taiwanese (Chinese Taipei) contingent were very supportive of their players.

Attached Files:

20. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    More girls and boys singles action

Attached Files: