Annoying overhead clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rotanimod, Sep 26, 2006.

1. rotanimod

rotanimod Regular Member

Student
    I and my partner play double most of the time. We have hard time defeating a pair which often use attacking clear everytime they got a lift (cleared) from us. I usually were expecting for a smash of drop, but this time I always off guarded and imbalanced when they do overhead clear. The way I see it is that their style of playing is just like a single style. Seldom did they smash....and I can see that they enjoy making overhead clear waiting for us to smash.........PLZZZZZZ give me some tips against this type of players

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

in doubles, offense is of the essence, keep smashing at them and pressuring them if they give you a clear, its harder to screw up a smash then it is to screw up a smash return.

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

maybe u need to smash harder and steeper ?

4. cwong

cwong Regular Member

keep smashing/fast-dropping... if you keep it down, they won't even have a chance to attack clear...

perfect opponent to practice your smashes...

5. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

If they clear to you, like the others say, most likely they feel you have a weak and ineffective smash. But take it positively, they're allowing you to get in lots of practice smashing. Many of us don't get such nice opponents. Most of the time its just a very hard smash into the body :)

It think it's a common tactic at least in lower level doubles, not a singles tactic, to use attacking clears to push the weaker smasher/player to the rear court. Between you and your partner, is one of you clearly the stronger smasher/player?

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If your opponents keep clearing to you and your partner in doubles then you should thank them, because they have made your job easier-it is easier to win hitting down than hitting up. The fact that such clears are giving you and your partner trouble is probably that both of you cannot handle attacking clears and/or do not know how to put away those clears with an attacking game.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Besides the strokes practice (smash, drop, etc), you need to also work on footwork and court coverage. If you and/or partner often caught off guard during a clear return, that means your guys having coverage problems, either due to footwork, fitness, edurance or team coordination, or a combo of above. :rolleyes:

8. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I recommend you smash, smash and smash some more! :)
    And make sure that you follow up your smashes to put more pressure on them and move into the net if you can.

Also it's a good opportunity to practice your fast drops and cross court drops. Sometimes you can catch people out by doing a couple of good smashes and then just when they are expecting another one you throw in a drop and catch them off guard, especially if you use some disguise and shape your body like you're going to do another smash. :cool:

Good luck. Hopefully next time you will beat them easily, then we can answer their questions about how to beat a pair who smash winners off all their clears! :D

9. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    more placement in your smash might help.....smash down their backhand side, and their lift probably won't be a very good one. the front man's followup is also important.
    and perhaps you should take note if their clears are out sometimes?

10. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    You've got to mix up pace and angles. I tedn to really crank the shuttle, but after a while most people I play against do adjust.

Thus I start throwing in some half smashes and more specifically some different angles. I tend to go "chest hunting" followed by a steep angle or a cross court cut smash.

11. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I don't think the problem is to do with smashing.

You cleared and charged forward to finished them off, because you expected them to drop, weak smash, or clear back to half court. This strategy is fine against weaker opponents. But you can't do that with stronger players. Try not going so far forward after you clear.

12. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Stagger your stance, have one leg further in front so you can go backwards or forwards more easily.

13. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    It means at the 1st place you both should stop doing those lift to them...
    Instead you guys should reply them with a very fast and powerful attacking clear.... then we shall see what happen..:D

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You should just stop and wait in a defensive formation with your legs staggered like what Eurasian said. Do a splitstep/hop when the opponents reply. They're taking advantage of the fact that you guys expect a certain shots and jump your guns before you even know what shots they make. If you're a fast player, just wait confidently for their reply and only move when you're certain what shots they make (or when the shuttle left the opponent's racquet).

15. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    IMO, if your shashes arent working, do the next best thing, a drop shot :).
    more drop shots mean more lifts from them which you will occasionally get one that doesnt reach the back court and thereby be able to uber OHKO smash, or have your partner ready to netkill a bad netshot.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if they arent afraid of the smashes, why would drops work?

17. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Once in a tournament finals, my partner and I faced a very strong defensive team. They would clear nearly everything as if to just dare us to smash. We tried to take the offensive, but they returned everything well. So we decided to try playing their game. Instead of hitting down, we tried attacking clears or very high, deep defensive clears. We found their offense was not as good as their defense, and we were able to work the rally to where we could take control and get a much better set-up, and we ended up winning a match we would have surely lost if we had used more conventional strategy.

This doesn't always work, but some players will try to win on the strength of their defense. They may not be prepared to take it when it's given back to them.

18. rotanimod

rotanimod Regular Member

Student
    how can the staggered position help the backwards movement? should I let my racket leg forward or the other one??

19. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    vary up your attacking style of play, they clear to slow the pace of the game down, you can try to keep it up with drives that make it very hard for them to lift the shuttle.

20. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    IMHO It depends on yr defensive technique and yr position to shuttle. In doubles where you usually defend with yr backhand, it is better to keep yr racket foot a bit in front of you with 2 main exceptions - if you are expecting a smash from the middle of the court and if you are expecting a diagonal smash from yr racket side. In these 2 cases it's more convinient to level yr legs or even to let yr non-racket leg forward.