Unprofitable

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 27, 2006.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I'm playing in the AB series 2 this weekend.

The total prize money is $3000.
    Each event is allotted $600

The costs
    $150 / night Holiday Inn (only hotel with rooms)
    $57 for two events
    $100 for food (estimate)
    $50 cab rides
    $0 getting ride up, might pay for gas
    -unsure if spending one or two nights
    =$357, one night, $500 two nights

I would have to win one event and get to a semi in another to break even.
    this doesn't cover broken strings

No wonder badminton is considered an 'elite' sport in Canada. Its too damn expensive to travel. I'm a student with a part time job and train at the glencoe. This is the first year I'm going to end up paying for most of my expenses.

2. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

i wouldnt do it because thats wayyy too much to put up. and you dont even know for sure that you're gonna win. so thats too much of a risk

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it'll be cheaper if you can find a roommate to share the hotel and cab ride. or someone who can drive is even better. instant noodle works well too. ;)

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

ah, the sacrifices of the humble badminton player.
    surely you're not in it for the money!

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    At least, there are $3000 prize money to grab. In our region, many tournaments are only entitled for $200 (per event) or even less. Many players still have to travel far away and spend $$$ like crazy.

Take Kwun's advice to find a roomate to share the house, and carpool to share the cabs. ;)

6. Eurasian =--(O)

When I was a junior I could get roomates easily. Now, there is a large age gap between me and other active players.

and no im not in it for the money but its really impractical for me to compete

#6 Eurasian =--(O), Sep 28, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Then?

I mean, regardless the age, everyone wants to save 50% of the room cost, right? Of course, it's desireable to have someone you know well to be with you. However, I guess a room is just a place to sleep... :D

8. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    yeah.. Me and my baddies usually travel in groups. we car pool and share hotel rooms. it's cheaper and fun.

we don't expect to win anything, so we try to destroy as many birds as we can to make the trip worthwhile. :D

btw, you are suppose to get yonex points if you make it to quarter finals. so at least you get "something".

9. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    $100 for food? $50 for cabs? Sounds to me like you're living the high life!

10. dont_cgy

dont_cgy Regular Member

Working
    Don't even mention about the yonex's point.
    Haven't heard of it since last year, and i am not sure if it will ever show up.
    spend the year inquiring about it and how to redeem it, but no luck.

d.

11. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Yeah it can get expensive. What until you have to pay for your own shuttles.

now you know why I hold my own tourney in Strathmore - it brings everyone to me... :D

Even with the wages guys in my age bracket make, we tend to stay with friends whenever we travel to play, tha's where the big bucks are spent.

12. Eurasian =--(O)

:D :D :D
    I got the price down to 60/night b/c of work related client

13. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Sounds like I am pretty lucky to be in a much smaller country here. I don't spend on anything at all in tournaments. From one end to the other end of the country takes no more than 2 hours. he he !

In fact, we normally have sponsors for tourneys and we get free yonex cool fit shirts ! hehehe

14. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    A bunch of us went to Brisbane last year....something like $300 for flights, $50 each for car rental, perhaps $120 for 3 nights accomodation, food god knows how much as the site was a bit remote and we had to buy at the canteen there (although it was a good canteen, not just pies and coke), time off work.....

Was great, but very expensive. Because Darwin is so remote we can only do this once a year as we have to fly everywhere! Which I think we are going to do from now on....

15. franxon

franxon Regular Member

you guys should come to singapore. you travel from one end to the other on train within 1.5 hours. Hotels might by costly but you make here your home. there are many badminton courts, players of all levels (hmmm, not really, nobody is at the level of LD, LCW or TH). and yes, there are tournaments. and as far as i know, there are games with $$$ bet at a small scale if you want to play for prize money.

drive north, you enter Malaysia, where, you know, is a bigger country, and, you know, you can get better players, people play badminton when they are too old to walk. you might be lucky to see LCW. ;)

fly south (don't drive this time, you'll drown in the sea if the car brake fails you for 10 minutes, assuming you start from where i am now.), there's Indonesia, where, you know, is an even bigger country. and, you know, you can get more better players. the kids play badminton when they are too young to walk. and you might be lucky to see TH.

oh yeah. there's Singapore Open, Malaysia Open and Indonesia Open yearly. within your reach, financially and geographically. Hong Kong Open and China Open in Guang Zhou are just 3 hours away. after 6 hours flight you can watch Korea Open or Japan Open. don't look at me, i only watched Singapore Open. :D

so, you guys should come.

16. Shiryu

Shiryu Regular Member

Nerd
    The last time I check, it's not easy moving to singapore. =P

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic...S'pore-good place to visit..

..yes..Although i've only visited, not actually lived for long period, on my 2 recent brief visits, i would agree also..Esp. for one who has grown up in a western culture/society(ie. language accessibility and sort)...Maybe actually living there is another different story..
    Perhaps H.K. is similar to S'pore, although i haven't been to H.K. before..:rolleyes: :p :)

#17 ctjcad, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well its best to get a sponsor. So you do not need to pay for everything. Good thing that you know how much roughly you need to spend.

It was kinda funny coz most players don't really know how much is their plane tickets. Well its understandable that everything is paid by the badminton org. Often many times the players ask me how much i spend for air tickets per year. I told them a rough figure and also tell them how much the ticket cost to fly from point A to point B.. they were like :eek: . They are lucky that they can travel for free plus free lodging as well.
    How i wish that i can be like them.. travel free.. eventually have to pay once finish claiming the air miles. hehehe

19. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    But ants don't you collect frequent flyer point? Lol I know it's something so small but hey it adds up :p

20. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Singapore would be too expensive I think. One of our lads is going to Malaysia for training as he could well represent Aus one day.
    Other than that, we are just enthusiasts really :)