Beginner...Some help?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Radagascar, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Radagascar

Radagascar New Member

Well, I'm starting to get more serious about badminton. I'd like some guidance on a racquet, I'd like to step up from the racquet that came in our 30$ back yard set :rolleyes:. I don't know anything about technical aspects of racquets so an explanation would be appreciated about anything technical. I'm also trying to find some footwork drills and further guidance on my technique.
    • I'm a beginner.
    • I'm male, about 6' tall, 135 pounds, not very strong ( I can bench about 85 pounds)
    • I want to develop good technique and footwork, a solid base for playing badminton effectively.
    • I haven't tried much, except shuffling around in the back yard. I did do pretty well in our back yard game...it's a modest start :p.
    So what I'd like is advice on footwork, maybe technique, and a good racquet that would get me through my newbie days with a minimal price. I'm also wondering about what's a good type of "shuttlecock"(I'm use to calling it a birdie :D).

Thanks in advance!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where is "Normal"? properly disclosing your location will help us help you in finding equipment available in your area.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

how old are you? Definately your going to have to get stronger to get to an intermediate level.

4. Radagascar

Radagascar New Member

Oh, I'm in Central Illinois. I just turned 17 and that's about it. We have a couple sports shops around here but I'm not sure if they sell badminton stuff...

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

a budget for the racquet would help as well ... are you planning on playing singles or doubles?

6. Radagascar

Radagascar New Member

20ish maybe, I'm not sure what a decent budget is, but doubles is what we do.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Racket from US$20 range is not anywhere too much better than the backyard set ones. If you want to take serious training and improve to a more competitve stage, I suggest a decent all graphite racket to begin with. Such racket usually requires about US$40-50 (shipping included, if necessary) to begin with.

8. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    what is your fitness level radagascar? you need lots of foot power to develop good footwork. what other sports do you play? strengthening your wrist would be very helpful as well