How to achieve A-Ranking?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Aozora, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Aozora

Aozora Regular Member

Student/Tutor
    First off, sup.

I have a new friend at school, grade 12 (16 or 17 y.o.) that just moved to Calgary from England recently. He said he was ranked in UK, and wants to get to A ranked here. However, the two private clubs I know of are really expensive (Winter Club at $20k) or not accepting members (Glencoe), and waiting 'til February for school team tryouts and playing City's in April 2007 doesn't sound very appealing, so...can anyone explain to me how to achieve A ranking here in a cost effective way?

btw, sry if there's been a similar thread before, I wasn't sure how to seach for something like this. :eek:

Thanks guys~

Ed C.

2. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Mm.......i think he could go compete in some Badminton Alberta sanctioned tournaments.....if he is as good as he sounds, he should be noticed by the people and perhaps WC or Glencoe will sponsor him into their clubs.

3. Aozora

Aozora Regular Member

Student/Tutor
    Thanks for quick reply.

I looked around the BadmintonAB site a while ago and there don't seem to be much provincial tournaments around here for his age group 'til Oct 28/29, so I guess it'd give him time to sign up and prepare. However, if it says "A,B,C waterfall" instead of "Open", does that mean he can't enter? Or does he just need a Competitive Player Card?

edit: nvm, I missed the "Each tournament will feature an OPEN category" part earlier =/ Going to ask him to check out the tourneys and see how it goes. Thx

Thanks~
    Ed C.

4. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

waterfall means everyone that joins, starts out in A. if you lose your first match, you are delegated to C. if you win your first match but lose your second match, you are delegated to B. each player/doubles team is guaranteed 3 matches.

5. Aozora

Aozora Regular Member

Student/Tutor
    Joining a nice private club sounds nice, but I'm guessing joining a club won't get you a ranking, so...does that mean my friend will have to register with Badminton Alberta as a competitive player and then gain points through many matches?

p.s. Sry if I sound repetitive or just ignorant, really clueless here =/

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, a player must be a member of a badminton association to be ranked.
    for example:http://www.badmintonalberta.ca/page.aspx?id=1178

7. Aozora

Aozora Regular Member

Student/Tutor
    Ok, I told my friend, he sent them Badminton AB an email, and now we wait =D Thanks for the help so far!

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

is your fren came here to live permanently or just studying?
    if he play really well, he can join the private club and train there as a special status member. He seem serious about badminton ;)

9. oscar

oscar Regular Member

hopefully i'm gunna live here for at least 3- 5 years, btw i'm the friend aozora was talking about lol, i normally use this site and i kinda bumped into this forum ^^ btw heres some background knowledge of myself, i use to play for yorkshire under 16's team, i also play for Scarborough's adult league and i played for my own school aswell. I'm try to find a decent club around calgary for decent training, also i'm looking for some tournaments near calgary. 1 more thing, could some1 plz explain the new scoring system? i know it's been out for ages but ppl in england really hate the new system so we just kept the old one... so i'm a noob to the system lol.

10. Rekindled

Rekindled Regular Member

Schoool =/ And a summer job to make money for badm
    21x3 scoring system

Each rally, the winner of the rally gets a point. first one to get 21 points is the winner. If you are both at 20-20, you play win by 2 points up to 29. If you are both tied at 29-29, next point wins.

Doubles: you serve on the side equal to the score, so for example if you have 2 points, you serve on the right side, if you have 7 points, you serve on the left side, so the person on the left side would serve if you have 7 points

Its kinda vaguely described, but you can go here: http://www.badmintonalberta.ca/news_item.aspx?id=2680

and click on simplified new rally point scoring system and it'll be able to give you more information =)

Also, if you go to training camps or do well in tournaments, Calgary Elite might ask you to join them. It is run by Greg Bury (I think) and has two sections, Elite 1 and Elite 2. Better people go into Elite 1 =)

11. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    waht is your friends name? never heard of a player from england in calgary, i heard that ewen clarck or something is trainign in edmonton at the royal glenora though

12. oscar

oscar Regular Member

i'm oscar lol i'm his friend, u should of read what i've written up there lol

13. Aozora

Aozora Regular Member

Student/Tutor
    His name's Oscar, and he just moved here very recently, so it's not surprising you haven't heard of him. I'm supposed to be his friend and I barely know him...

btw...what does a Youth Development Leader do? Cuz under "Contact Us" at badmintonalberta.ca that's Greg's position oO

#13 Aozora, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

do u play plastic or feather? what part of calgary do u live, nw, sw, ne or se? r u singles or double player?

15. oscar

oscar Regular Member

i nearly always play with feather, plastics are for cheap ppl no offence to all the ppl with plastic shuttles, but seriously 90% of the time i use feather, it sounds better and it makes the game more exciting lol, at the moment i'm living in NE of calgary and i'm a very strong (for my age) singles, doubles and mixed player.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ok, i asked because i know plastic shuttles are quite common in england and since u r under 16 most school still use plastics.

17. Aozora

Aozora Regular Member

Student/Tutor
    My school uses plastic shuttles for our terrible badminton club...and I'm even worse since I "borrow" shuttles from the club...and then they end up breaking so...never had a chance to actually "return" one. :D

18. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    I'm down in the NE also, if you wanna get a couple games going oscar pm me, i'm available on friday after 8, and saturday after 2

19. oscar

oscar Regular Member

sure ... do u know where cardel is??.. i can't go on friday... i might be able to if it was earlier but i never stay till after 6. But if u know where cardel is then i'll see u this week probably at 2, i'll get aozora aswell ^^.

20. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Michael Lam is noob, don't worry about it......

hahaha jk jk, Michael Lam is amazing, watch out for his killer jump smash and crazy backhand its sick