trick shot question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by slow_shash, Sep 30, 2006.

1. slow_shash

slow_shash Regular Member

Engineering student
    In the behind the back return of smash which direction does the palm face?
    the opponent or the backside.In other words which side of the racket head should be used? the forehand side or backhand?

2. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

you can use either side but most players i see use the forehand side.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

forehand

but my advise: Don't practise this shot! It'll mess up your game and make you focus on other things.

Myself as an example: I never tried/practised this I never thought of playign it. and a week ago my partenr and I were in deep sh*t they were smashing him (he defended high) and suddenly cross-smashed at me ftw...without thinking I did a round-the-back defense...and won a point by sheer luck...

last two weeks when fooling around I find out I can do it easily when the smash lands well...

But, I fele I'm getting lazy do it alot more. Back in the day when I didn't have a choice but to defend forward defending seemed easier..

It is an eye-catcher though;)

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

yeah, its only easy to do if the smash is PERFECTLY placed, but its a not as good a move in an actual game, theres way better smash return shots you can do then returning it behind your back.

5. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    you NEED to use the forehand grip and stroke with the behind the back shot.

i've been using this shot for fun in club play for many yrs, i try not to pull it in tournaments though. the winning percentage on it for me is less than 50%. once in awhile i can hit winners (opponents racket couldn't touch the shuttle) with it.

6. slow_shash

slow_shash Regular Member

Engineering student
    I know i shouldn't be practicing this shot but i have and this is what i observed:
    when the smash is around or above the waist area it becomes difficult to execute the front-back motion of the wrist using forehand so a sideways motion of the wrist could work.Am i correct:confused:

7. Avatar

Smash down all clears!
    the behind the back-forehand trickshot can be practical as u can see many pros execute it like Sigit in tournaments. when the shot is above your waist, u can still use the backhand stroke technically. u will need to twist your waist unless if u have superb flexability. i actually did one forehand shot like that above the waist n won a game point because it rolled over the tape. if you wish to use the backhand stroke to execute a behind the back shot (whether it is above or below the waist), then you must at least quarter turn (or more) your upper body. the backhand trickshot is purely for showmanship and not practical at all. your waist turn reaction is too slow to react to a smash (or probably even half smash). Furthermore, your visual is even worst than the forehand-trickshot position. u need someone to set you up for this.

8. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    i use my forehand and my badhand grip, i only use this when i can't do anything else, thats how you can tell that my feet are out of position bahah