Asian Games: Coach: Pei Tty-Eei Hui can deliver medal in Doha

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by seawell, Oct 2, 2006.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

MALAYSIA have not won a medal in the Asian Games women’s doubles event since 1970 and coach Cheah Soon Kit wants his charges Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui to end the drought in Doha.

In fact, Malaysia have only two women’s doubles bronze medals to show from the Asian Games — the first through Tan Gaik Bee-Ng Mei Ling in 1962 and Rosalind Singha Ang-Teow Siew Bee in 1970 — but Soon Kit believes Pei Tty-Eei Hui can achieve a medal finish in Doha.

The reason? Asian Games rules only permit two pairs per country for individual events, thus allowing overwhelming favourites China to win a maximum of two medals.

This leaves two medals to be fought for and Soon Kit wants his players to take the initiative and make up for the World Championships disappointment in Madrid.

Pei Tty-Eei Hui had the opportunity to make the last four in Madrid but lost to China’s No 4 Zhang Yawen-Wei Yili in the quarter-final.

China clinched all four medals in the World Championships with Gao Ling-Huang Sui taking the title.

"They (Pei Tty-Eei Hui) have won the Commonwealth and Sea Games gold and now the target is to win a medal in the Asian Games. They have an outside chance of achieving it," said Soon Kit.

"The fact that there are only two pairs from China will increase our chances of winning a medal. As long as we can avoid the two pairs from China in the quarter-final stage, Pei Tty-Eei Hui can get into the medal round.

"Their focus now is to become tactically wise and have more patience especially when they play an attacking game. This is where they always make mistakes against top pairs as they try too hard to kill off the rallies and are disappointed if they fail to do so."

Among other pairs Pei Tty-Eei Hui will have to contend with are South Korea’s Lee Kyung Won-Lee Hyo Jung, Cheng Wen Hsing-Chien Yu Chin of Taiwan, Saralee Thungthongkam-Satinee Changkrachangwong of Thailand and Indonesia’s Gresya Polii-Jo Novita.

2. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Rexy wants to end Malaysia’s 36-year gold medal drought
    04 Oct 2006
    K. M. BOOPATHY

REXY Mainaky foiled Malaysia’s chances of winning the men’s doubles gold at the 1994 Hiroshima Asian Games. Come December, he will be guiding Malaysia to secure gold in the same event in Doha.

Rexy then partnered Ricky Subagja to beat Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock for the gold, and Malaysia have yet to win a medal in the men’s doubles since then.

The former Olympic and world champion said it is an interesting coincidence to be in such a situation but his goal remains the same — to help Malaysia win their first Asian Games gold in badminton since 1970.

Not only that, Rexy also regarded Malaysia’s failure in the recent World Championships as a blessing in disguise as the two pairs — Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat — should be hungrier for a major title.

"I did my duty for Indonesia in 1994 but now it’s different and a more challenging situation. I am banking on my players to deliver this time," said Rexy.

"My players have been brought down to earth in Madrid. Probably they thought they were good to win but when it came to action, they were knocked out.

"I think the failure in Madrid is a blessing in disguise. The players should be hungrier and learn from their mistakes."

The World Championships turned sour for the doubles players as Chong Ming had to withdraw after his father died of leukaemia during the tournament while Tan Fook-Wan Wah were sent packing in the third round by Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia.

Another pair, Lin Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan Tazari, not included in the Asian Games squad, lost at the quarter-final stage to Denmark’s Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen.

There is little consolation, though, for Rexy.

The Malaysians are not the only inconsistent performers as China’s Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng, who won the title in Madrid, and South Korea’s Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae are equally inconsistent.

Markis-Hendra have also seen their form fluctuate in recent months but Rexy wants the Malaysians to take advantage of their opponents’ vulnerability in order to strike gold.

"The pressure is on our rivals and our players should capitalise on the situation," said Rexy.

"Both our pairs have beaten Cai Yun-Haifeng while Markis-Hendra are also shaky. The Koreans have also struggled in major events.

"Malaysia have not won a badminton gold for such a long time and we must end it. Let’s not run away from our responsibility."

Being optimistic has been Rexy’s nature and it was the main reason behind his staggering success rate as a player and a same attitude can do wonders for his players in Doha.

3. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    haven't malaysian coaches been talking about getting medal since the start of the year?

not saying they are bad, but don't they get embarrassed when they say that by now?

not talking about the players, so fans please don't flame me -_-'

4. malaysia boleh?

malaysia boleh? Regular Member

We Are Always 2nd Best

I support you, Hydrocyanic. I think all the Malaysian coaches should stop talking and start delivering instead. Before every major competition, they always come out with targets and a lot of promises. Unfortunately they never achieve their target. Then they will come out with a lot of ridiculous excuses like lack of communication between the doubles pair (mind you..CTF-LWW have been playing together for almost 10 years).

Malaysia has employed many foreign coaches..Han Jian, Yang Yang, Morten Frost Hansen, Park Joo Bong and the current Li Mao and Rexy. All these coaches started with a Bang!..unfortunately the Bang! never last for long.That is why we never hear Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! I really can't figure out what is the real reason.By the way, we did employ a great coach,Mr Indra Gunawan whom is very efficient and respected by all the players..sadly his contract was not renewed for some unknown reason.

I guess we just have to live with it. Our players are always 2nd best and 3rd best. We can only envy the achievement of the Chinese and the Indonesian. By the way I have been following badminton in Malaysia since 1980s. I always remember the great RTM commentator, Hasbulah Awang. He is so emotional. I guess he loves badminton as much as we all do. Unfortunately like him, like me and like the rest of Malaysian fans out there, we just have to live with frustration everytime we watch a badminton live telecast on tv.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

WPT/CEH 's key problem is fitness. Their skills are pretty good. However , without superior fitness, they cannot sustain top play. That's why they usually lose in three games except when they face Singapore who are less fit than them.

6. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    yes, fitness is quite important, but funny how some people see it not as important as skill/talent/whatever for players

:)

7. twdc08

twdc08 Regular Member

student
    i believe they will win a medal in Asian Games 2006!!!

8. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

agree with you. Just watched their semi final match against Yang/Zhang and i was surprised by their skills and speed as i had never watched them play before. They have good skills, defense and backhand. Most of the points they lost were due to their own errors especially the last few points in the first game and i think that their main problems are fitness and focus. They need to maintain their play during the whole match.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I think their fitness isn't much of a problem. Well, at least on WPT's part, we've seen her play two hard 3-game matches on the same day at the World Championships.

Their main issue is and had always been focus, and of course physique. They can perhaps do better at concentration (witness how CEH missed several net sitters against YW/ZJW) and breaking the opponents' rhythm (9 unanswered pts from the Olympic Champs from 12-15 to 21-15).

As for physique, nothing much they can do about that. Imagine if they had the SG or TPE girls height, they could be more devastating.

10. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Somehow WPT/CEH chances to win a medal depend on their luck and their draw. If Lee Kyung Won/ Lee Hyo Jung play in Doha, they will had a tough job to get to SF cause after 2 China pairs, Korea Lee/Lee and Taiwan pair had the best chances to to cruise to SF.

Probablt Malaysia coaches should only promise medal from MS and MD not from WD. For men team events, they also had big chances to get gold medal.

11. malaysia boleh?

malaysia boleh? Regular Member

Forget About Gold

Malaysia forever 2nd best..for how many decades already.. frustration.. frustration.. frustration. :crying: :crying: :crying: I think it's a curse. Maybe BAM should get a bomoh to accompany the team to Doha. :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. purpledoi

purpledoi Regular Member

Student
    China seems to be superior in WD. And its kinda rtue that Msia seems to have built a very strong image of being second best. But all our players now are kinda senior leh. maybe they're getting old? Time for the juniors to step up and bring our rep up also?

13. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I hate to say that the coach will be wrong again this time Pei Tty-Eei Hui canNOT deliver medal in Doha.

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CEH/WPT can win a medal provided they are super fit.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Focus and concentration towards the end usually falter when fatigue sets in due to insufficient stamina.Then all the errors pile up and the speed slows so they can't get into position to play their strong shots properly.
    I believe CHN WDs only play at 70% at the beginning ; that's why they can up the pace when needed anytime. They are super fit!
    Physique is not critical. They have always beaten Singapore WDs. Look at CHN 's ZYW, pint size but amazing power and speed.

16. cao ci dan

cao ci dan Regular Member

student
    i think they will make it....but the korean pair (can't recall their names) are not bad!!

17. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Still have chance

Soon Kit said it right, the WD has an outside chance of winning a medal as China only allows to send 2 pairs and I think the Malaysians are as good as the Koreans/Indonesians/Thais.

18. alohio12

alohio12 Regular Member

dont underestimate TPE girls ppl.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yeah, TPE girls have improved greatly and beaten our pair the last 3 times they met since the Uber qualifiers.

On the other hand, the cute JAP girls have gone the other way round. Pity, Professor Park's magic don't seem to work on them. Or it could be just the 21-pts system.

Our girls, can't really say how far they've improved. But I suppose it is hard when you don't have quality sparring partners. The gap is very wide as it is.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Sorry, beg to differ here. Do the TPE girls have quality sparring partners? They are just fitter. WPT/Chin starting to cause concern to CHN WD; they have improved. Altho they lost straight to GL/HS , the scores were close. Now if Chin could shed some excess luggage, she will be able to use her energy more effectively and deliver a win. I believe they will beat TPE this time.