Where to restring in Edmonton?

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by nibaxiang, Oct 2, 2006.

1. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    The job done by my club-mate was not satisfied. :mad: Some grommets were broken in the very first time restringing (Yonex racket).

Can anybody recommend one, please? :p (If not, I might have to go to sweetspot...)

Thanks in advance...

2. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I dunno about Royal Glenora or Derrick, but at Red Willow, they do stringing for $25 +GST. The bad thing is, they only use white BG65 or BG66 strung at 11k (not sure of the conversion, but I think you could request a higher tension). I can't say that non-members are able to get their racquets restrung for sure, but it's a good place to start. I'm also not sure if you're allowed to provide your own string and just pay for labour, but at least you have a reference point. Hopefully this gets you on your way =)

3. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Thanks, Tweak.

Seems that we don't have some BC stringing experts in our town. :crying:

4. harmono

harmono Regular Member

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with the sweet spot?

5. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Not very comfortable in dealing with the guy there (sweetspot) :rolleyes: (my personal experience though) , plus it's at an inconvenient location. :mad:

6. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

can you tell us what your negative experience was?

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    You can restring your racquet at the derrick if you play/ are a member there. Usually takes 1-2 days but they only have white bg-65. You can bring in your own string and they can use that. I believe you can request a tension as well. I believe it costs around $20 or so including the string.

Btw i dont string at the sweetspot because they charge way way too much. Approx 40$ for bg80 and stringing :O

8. EWL168

EWL168 Regular Member

I also wouldn't recommend Sweet Spot!

I have my raquet strung there a couple times. It is a bit expensive, but more importantly, it must be in the way they string the raquets. It would feel tight the day you pick up the raquet. When you play with it, all the tension would disappear and you would lose a couple pounds of tension for sure. I usually ask for 24lbs and it ends up being less than 22lbs or so.

For stringing, I just get some of my friends to string them for me! The job they do is pretty good and they ask for $15 for labour.

9. chickenpoodle

buy your own string before bringing it to sweetspot?
    then it'll cost 20 dollars total...

i thought the guy did an amazing job at sweetspot. i've never seen any problems nor experienced any problems with their work...

he does a good job with the grommets too, replacing what needs to be done.

10. harmono

harmono Regular Member

The cost of their string was quite high, more then 4x what I picked it up somewhere else for.

I was down there yesterday and he said $15 if you have your own string.

11. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    ... 15$ if have own string; that means it was 22$ for my bg-80. I think thats a ripoff. Ill buy my string somewhere else...

ewl168, are you sure they do a bad job of stringing? i cant tell a bad stribnging from a good one...

12. EWL168

EWL168 Regular Member

Hey t3tsubo!

Well, that's just in my opinion. I have asked for 24lbs for stringing and when I get the raquets, the strings feel nice and tight. But once you start hitting around with it, they really begin to lose a lot of their tension to a point where I would want to cut the strings and restring them again. I'm not even a super power player and this happens. I personally won't be going back there for my restringing. Hope that helps.

13. RSX

RSX Regular Member

bg80

$22 for BG-80 ? Should be able to get 3 packs for that price !

14. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    i meant it must have cost 22$ for STRINGING the BG-80 that i got for 15$ ont my racquet. If the stringwas 22$, i would just leave and move to calgary :p
    jk...not really....jk...

15. chickenpoodle

well, i've had plenty of stringing jobs done with them, same with friends and such. i resorted to going to them after my friend moved to vancouver, taking his machine with him :p

i've only had complaints with one, where i think they accidentally sheared part of the string, shortening the life drastically.

however everything else is fine. and i think their costs aren't any much higher than any other place, provided you bring your own string!

you buy string online for 5-6 dollars per pack, sometimes less. (bg85/bg66), and labor costs 14 dollars.
    so total, with gst, is about 20 dollars.

he uses a babolat sensor for it, and he's certified. his son's certified too.

about loss of tension? that could of been attributed to a ton of reasons.

did you let the tension settle first? or did you immediately go start playing with it? you should leave it atleast overnight...

16. thunderstrike

thunderstrike Regular Member

Student
    At Nait on sunday's during 1 to 3 or 3 to 5 a coach named Sunny can do the stringing for you for $10 if you provide your own string and $16 if you use his (PROSPEED) string. He does a pretty good job but the only downside is you have to wait the next sunday after to get your strung racquet.

17. blackfrost

blackfrost Regular Member

I swallow Shuttles
    sportchek charges $10 for stringing badminton racquets now.

18. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I don't think sportchek is a very good bet. Maybe for cheaper rackets, but i wouldn't trust them with anything worth more than say $100. I met the the technician at the sherwood park location, and he was like twelve. I know, don't judge a book by its cover. But how many rackets can you have strung when you're that young? I'd rather pay the price at a proper racket shop. BTW, seeing how so many of us think The Sweet Spot's prices are too steep, maybe we should start a co-op or something. Any thoughts?

19. xZhongCheng

xZhongCheng Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I am a employee at sportchek londonderry. I had my NS800 Restrung by Jaren.

He did a ok job, just the tension wasnt as tight as I wanted it.

I resorted going to sweetspot to get my arcsaber 7 strung with BG 68Ti, expensive as hell though... I paid around 35$

20. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Haven't played badminton for a little while so not too sure of who does stringing these days.

The places I know of which do restringing:

Sweetspot -- Quite popular among the general crowd but very expensive. If supplying ones own string, the labour charge is $20. Otherwise, price is much higher.

Red Willow Club -- They only restring using BG-65 and total cost is $30

Also, I know some of the various EDBA clubs have folks that do restringing but with service restricted to solely for their own club members.

Can any of the other Edmonton BCers create a list of individuals (with their permission of course) that do restringing for the general public including their contact information, cost of restringing (with and w/o stringer's supply of string), and which club(s) they normally play out of?

I think Edmonton's gotta have the worst badminton market out of all the major Canadian cities. Just finding a small list of stringers is a challenge on its own!