Halifax / Metro (Nova Scotia) - clubs places to play

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by wedgewenis, Oct 3, 2006.

1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Is it just me or is badminton in severe decline in NS, We need a badminton revival!

Here is are some places for adults to play in the Halifax Metro Area of NS, these are all adult clubs but if anyone has any youth clubs they'd like to add i will update this.

Beginner (pickup-badminton, just for fun or learning how to play)
    Intermediate (regular players with general knowledge and skills of the game)
    Advanced (regular non-tournament players with all basic skills)
    Tournament (Players mostly focusing on training for the tournament season)

To my knowledge there is not a significant group of Tournament level players who play together or have a club - unless they train in secret, most of them play and practice strictly against eachother.

Dalplex, Dalhousie Badminton Club

South Street, Halifax
    Wed & Fri 830 to 1030pm, Sun 630 to 930pm (year round)
    Beginner - Intermediate (Plastic)

This is group falls between beginner and intermediate, although there is often a small group of advanced/tournament players who are social but mostly stick to themselves and train. The main group is mostly University students and older players but to my knowledge there is no age limit. The group is fairly open for anyone but at certain times during the year becomes overcrowded. Probably due to student scheduals and vacation periods.

Dalplex, Court Bookings

Dalplex has 4 courts (sometimes 6) usually available for bookings during regular hours. Only students with a valid student number can book - but I believe they make exceptions if you book in person on the day your there.
    Often there are aerobics, vollyball or sports instructions that may interfere with badminton and you will have no warning of this unless you check the schedual at thier website. Daypass is $11.50 after taxes. Ten day passes are available for 85.00 which saves you a bit. You must have photo I.D. to enter Dalplex at any time. At certain periods during the week this facility is overcrowded, particularly in the evenings and mornings and anytime saturday.

Mount St. Vincent University Club

Bedford Hwy, Halifax
    Tue 8:30 - 10:30 pm (year round) - $5 drop in
    Intermediate (Plastic)

This group is mostly older regular players and university students and mostly Intermediate level. Beginners and sometimes more advanced players also drop in. The club runs very smoothly in the summer months but during the winter its often overcrowded. The exception is when students have exams in thier schedual.

Halifax Fleet Center Badminton Club

Halifax Dockyard, Provo Wallis Blvd.
    Sun 7-10 pm (Sept to May) - $7 drop in *must show Photo I.D.*
    Intermediate - Advanced (Feather)

This group is mostly strong intermediate level. Sometimes we do get Tournament level players who join for the year, mostly masters +35. This is currently where I play and to my knowledge the only All Feather Intermediate Club in Metro. Despite having a top of the line facility for badminton and one of the cheapest gym rates available in the province, the club has a shortage of members. We are running only Sundays 7-10 pm but we may add Thursdays 8-10 pm provided we can encourage more people to join. We have gotten a few new members this year and we are hopefull. Despite being intermediate level we do get beginners and make an effort to make them feel welcome.

Bloomfield Center Club *membership only*

Corner of Almon & Fuller st. Halifax (i think)
    Wed 7-9pm (year round - memberhip only with drop in ad select times)
    Intermediate (Plastic)

This is mostly mid-age to older intermediate players with a few younger people. The club is membership only but there are 2 drop in periods during the year, one in the summer and one in the winter where the club is open to $4 drop in. During that time people can decide if they want to join, its only $50 for the year. The club has a player limit because there are only 3 courts.

--------------------------------------

Other Potential Places to Play

- The Tower: Saint Mary's University Gym... no idea if the gym is available for badminton or Vollyball/basketball, but i'm sure front desk would answer that question.

- Stadacona Canadian Forces Base Gym - Apparently civilians ARE allowed to us the military gym for a $4 dollar drop in fee for as many hours as they like provided there are no Military sports programs running. I have no details other than this.

- Shearwater Canadian Forces Base Gym - Not sure but this used to be open to the public with membership or drop in - it may be available on weekends for the public But i can't say for sure.

- Mount Uniacke, Mondays and Fridays 7pm .... bout 1 hour drive out of halifax... Dont know how long it is just says 7pm .. wow they dont even tell you.

- Fall River (Apparently) there is a Sports Center being developed there although I dont have the details - and who knows if they will even consider badminton, but the facility is supposed to be top-notch so it may become an option when its opened.

#1 wedgewenis, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. blanex

blanex Regular Member

the tower actually does not have a badminton court. I just called.

3. BD NSB

BD NSB Regular Member

If anyone has any desire to go to a tournament in NS go to the NSBA (Badminton Nova Scotia) website and look at the upcoming events then anyone under 23 can go to a junior Tournament and senior tournaments are open to everyone their are B and A categories.

4. PhilA

PhilA New Member

Can you provide any more information about the fleet option?

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Are there any coaches around that do sessions? whether they are private or in a group doesn't make that big of a difference.

6. aske20

aske20 New Member

Does anyone know any info on this Halifax fleet center club? Is it still going on? I'm a 15 year old advanced player looking for a place to play. Would I be welcome?

7. mochimae

mochimae New Member

Are these clubs still active? Which among these would be more accomodating to new recreational players?

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

If you're like really new I've heard the club in the mount is too high pressure for some but I personally don't find it as bad as the rumors. Also as it says above you can get a punch pass for dal and then book courts for yourself so you can really pick with who you play with. There is a club in tantallon as well that is decent but I don't know the details on that. Other option is to go to your local rec centre and pick up a program catalogue and you can look for badminton programs in there for all ages, rec might be your best bet. Edit - the dal court bookings in the first post of the tread isn't the process used now, you don't need to be a student, just need a membership number.

9. mochimae

mochimae New Member

I guess I didn't phrase that right. I think I'm decent game-wise. Not a beginner just a bit out of shape having stopped playing for more than a year. Not knowing anyone from the clubs though, which ones would be more accomodating to drop-ins?

10. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Probably the mount or REC programs, not a lot of experience with many senior exclusive clubs. I'm assuming you're an adult? If anybody here can tell you about the club in tantallon the only complaint I've heard is the skill level is sometimes too low but they're nice people in general.

11. mochimae

mochimae New Member

Yeah, I'm 27. I just moved from the Philippines and really don't know a lot of people here. Would just like to get back into badminton for recreation and fitness. Would try out mount and tantallon then. Thanks very much. :)

12. decoy

decoy Regular Member

No problem

13. SeventhWave

SeventhWave New Member

Courier managment
    I am havn't played since junior high and am now 29 yrs old. I looking to get back into badminton in full force when fishing season isnt in full swing and was hoping to find a partner to practice with at the shearwater location as its close to my house. Still need to call them to ask about drop ins. Have signed up for monday night rec club which doesnt start until Jan 13. Anyone interested in joining me should give me a shout....Also I work until 745 or 8 during the week so it would have to be a fairly late night deal

14. Super Koh

Super Koh Regular Member

Hi wedgewenis,

Do you still play badminton at Halifax Fleet Centre? I have a membership with PSP and if you still do play badminton or know some people playing badminton on a regular or irregular basis, I'd like to chat with you.

Thanks,

Super K

15. Super Koh

Super Koh Regular Member

Hey,

If you want to play badminton at the Shearwater Gym, I could be there since I live in PMQs in that neighbourhood.

Cheers,

16. kyleb

kyleb Regular Member

Student
    I'm part of Sackville Junior Badminton Club. We're really one of the only competitive clubs for juniors. I know of a good amount of coaches around here. if anyone wants any info message me

17. RxC4Wife

RxC4Wife New Member

hey 7thWave...just moved to the area and its been quite a bit since Ive played too. Im looking for a practice partner and gym if you're still interested

18. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Hi, please provide an update on the badminton scene in NS.
    Where & When are some of the intermediate/upper level adult clubs held? Is there a local league? Coaching available? Places to get a restring?
    Thanks

19. kyleb

kyleb Regular Member

Student
    The Mount is still operating Tuesday nights 8-10:30. You can get a mixed bag there of skill. Local leagues wise there's badmintonns.ca that's the provincial organization that'll have all of the tournaments and activities in the province. General sports dealers like Cleve's and Sportchek will over charge for a terrible stringing job.

20. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

@kyleb,
    You are not being completely fair to Cleve's and Sportchek: They will also over-charge for a mediocre string job. ;):rolleyes:

#20 Fidget, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014