Starting the Mains: Is my method wrong?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by zasboy, Oct 4, 2006.

1. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

Hi,

Just got a simple question(hopefully). I have an ATS Super Stringer 2 which I used to string tennis rackets but recently started using it to string badminton rackets(got the badminton clamps). I'm using the 2 piece method(the only one I know how to :( ) and the 4 flying clamps method(two tennis clamps and two badminton clamps :eek:).

My questions is when starting the mains. I usually clamp the two center mains but I read that using a starter clamp or pin might be a better method. If I need more clamping power, I can use two flying clamps on the center mains to start the main stringing process. So I don't know if my method is as good as using the starter clamp or pin.

Any suggestions and/or commets would be grateful.

-Thanks

2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    I think that using the starting clamps would be better than just using the flying clamps.

#2 malayali, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If your machine is a consistent pulling machine (drop weight or electrical), then, the problem of tension lost could be greatly reduced. However, I doubt the tennis flying clamps can really hold the string tension effectively, especially if you work with high tension. :rolleyes:

For the starting pin, it's very easy to make, and work in wonders, especially when team up with consistent pulling machines. ;)

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    A high-quality starting clamp is also a good idea.

5. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

The ATS Super Stringer 2 is a drop weight machine. I been using the stringing method that was shown on the E-Stringer website where they used one clamp to clamp the two center mains to start the stringing process.

http://www.sptennis.com/video.asp
    Part 2: Stringing an entire racquet with the e.Stringer (18 minutes)

I will try the starting pin method. Is there a link on where I can create my own starter pin?

-Thanks

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I use a key ring attache with a piece of string tail (about 3-4 inches long) as my starting kit. It works fine. ;)

7. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

Hi. I recently bought myself a pack of new string to try out(Ashaway Micropower Ti). I'll be stringing it on my Genji racket(spare). As of now, I'm using a Yonex AT800-OF strung with BG-68Ti at 24lbs. I heard that the MicroPower Ti is comparable to the BG-68Ti but since I'm using two different rackets, not sure if I will be able to tell any differences.

I will be changing my method of stringing but I am a bit confused on the issue of tension. Since I'm using a drop weight machine, I heard that I need to tension 10% higher than the tension I would normally set it to. So if I want to string it at 24lbs, I would really need to string it at about 26lbs. Is this really true?

-Thanks

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You don't need to. Drop weight machines are constant pull vs. lock out (crank). BTW, what brand of drop-weight macine do you have?

9. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

Hi,

I mentioned my machine in the first post. It's an ATS Super Stringer 2. It's a good drop weight machine. I used to have a Silent Partner Estringer(electric) but I sold it because the lowest pound it would go was 30lbs :mad:

-Thanks

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Sorry, I missed that :rolleyes:.

11. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

It's all good. Don't worry about it.

I recently received some starting pin method tutorials from silentheart and LazyBuddy. Thanks! So I'll will start stringing the rackets as soon as I can.

12. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

Hi,

Just wanted to give out an update. I talked to LazyBuddy and he has been a great help. I finally built my Lazybuddy Starting Pin. Not sure if this is how it should look, but I hope I did it right:
    [​IMG]

After using the starting pin, I understood the process on how to use it, and realized why it's better than clamping the two center main.

The starting pin actually help tension the two center mains(first left center main and first right center main)

If I had used my previous method, I would had to first string the 2nd main in order to tension the 1st main. So it would have been:
    - Clamp LB1 & RB1(left and right bottom main, hole #1).
    - Pick either side to start, let say right side
    - Take string from RB1, and string it through RB2 and into RT2. Then tensioned it.
    - Clamp RT1 and RT2.

I see the problem because while tensioning the string on RT2, it was pulling not only RT2 but also RT1. The same goes if I did on the left side. Tensioned two strings at the same time does not seem like a good thing. Hopefully, my observation is somewhat correct.

So, I'm pretty happy now. I learned something new and got a cool little tool to add to my toolbox.

-Thanks

PS: The Cisco bottle/can opener is on the keyring because I like to drink a cold bottle of beer while stringing......kidding ;) I just left it on because it looked cool.

#12 zasboy, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hey, your starting pin looks much better than mine. Mine is just a cheap key ring. Maybe it's the time for me to get some "add on"? :p

Glad that you are enjoying the progress. With some practice down the belt, you should be good. ;)