singles easy-->doubles hard.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by evolution-Fung, Oct 4, 2006.

1. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    i find now that singles is very easy tactics. basically all u need to do is 4 corners. + deception. variety of shots from each corner. and of course stamina. but for doubles thats HARD. doubles tacticts makes u think so much more, doubles u have to think more WAY MORE variety of shots. so much different mentality then singles. wt can i do to switch over? i started out playing doubles for 2 years. won many tournaments for school. last year i swtiched to singles. didnt like it but i got to know it better and love it more and more. now i play doubles and its like so hard. doubles is much more then 4 corners. wt are some things i can do? much help appreciated

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

singles is harder physically, also its harder to think when your extremely exhausted, theres also more pressure in singles, all the fault is on you, there are no excuses. doubles is much faster paced but less physical work IMO.
    first, what are you struggling with in doubles play right now?

3. Riceeboy

Riceeboy Regular Member

I play double. So easy. No need to run. Just smash all u see.
    Single much harder... Run like crazy... kills you and your feet

4. Rekindled

Rekindled Regular Member

Schoool =/ And a summer job to make money for badm
    Depends on your stamina abilities... in doubles, a very deceptive yet light and tight drop is most deadly...but then again, so is the smash. Singles, you run like crazy and you slip or something, and your dead, or if you lunge too hard or something.

5. Rainofserenity

Rainofserenity Regular Member

actually.. the pressure should be harder for doubles right? cause you don't want to make a mistake and your partner ended up being >:O to your face. hahha

6. morewood

morewood Regular Member

I find doubles is all about forcing your opponents out of position or to lift the birdie too high (and short), big trick is to get to know what your partners going to do and then play as a team.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Then, it's the time for you to move on to another level, and against better opponents. :cool:

8. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I think singles is physically more demanding, but doubles is more tactical.

I also think that you have to be a bit more flexible with your game in double as sometimes you have to adapt your style of play to compliment that of your partner.

Also you have two opponents you have to try and outsmart! :cool:

9. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

It's when you start playing proper mixed & you don't have the luxury of simple lifts to get you out of trouble that you really have to start thinking tactically.

10. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    yah. doubles tactics is hard. so much more u need to do, from every spot on the court their are many many possible shots u can make. i can never think of the best one. i usually drop stupidly or play alleys alot.

11. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I understand what you mean. Apart from the physical strain ("more air! more air!"), singles is a lot easier tactically.

I don't have to think nearly as much in singles as I do in level doubles or mixed. Just tracking one opponent is easy, and his position can dictate where you play your next shot.

12. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    fosho
    ---------------------

13. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    I'm pretty much in the same predicament, but have you ever thought about your doubles formation and how you good you rotate with your partner? (that's if you're playing with a partner of your same gender). Singles actually demands more mentally than doubles, but it's not as fast paced as doubles which probably needs quick decisions, reactions, good placement etc. That's why it's easier for doubles players to switch to singles, but not the other way around.

A good doubles player just needs to build up stamina and maybe improve on a little more footwork to play singles. A good singles player needs to work on formation, and probably needs to get used to his/her partner to play well as well. (If it's someone you just met, you'd have to adjust pretty quickly to what their playing style is)

Tactically, I wouldn't say Singles or doubles is easier or harder than another. When you do get to a high level of playing, each have their own kind of tactics. It's all down to whether you're used to facing those tactics or not.

14. starx

starx Regular Member

Danish coach say : badminton court have 6 corner

15. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I find I feel far less pressure playing in Singles, and far more pleased with myself when I win. Because it was all me. I didn't have to rely on anyone else. When I lose, well I don't mind so much because I know I didn't let anyone down but myself.

Doubles is ok too though, but it really depends on who I'm playing with. If I'm playing with just anyone from my club then it can be quite difficult as most of them don't know my footwork and tactics. When I'm playing with my actual doubles partner it's fine as we both know each other's game inside and out - no problems. Although he's recently taken to "giving up" after losing just a few points. And once that happens our chances of winning a game are extremely slim. Makes me so angry... it's really pathetic and childish, and definitely not fair on me when I'm doing everything I can to win.

As to your question, I'd say find a regular partner (if you haven't already), and if a coach is out of the question, just play lots of games with your partner, learn each other's games, and just experiment with different tactics. Find out what works and what doesn't against a range of opponents and it'll all come together eventually.

#15 phaarix, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    easy answer.
    Xia ZX unfit for MS now plays doubles.
    Know any MD players gave up MD to play better at MS?

17. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I know what you are saying, but that literally didn't make sense.

18. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    lol wts 6 corners mean.

19. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

mighta been a typo, maybe he meant six points :p either way we all get the point

20. evolution-Fung

Clothing
    i really dont get wt he means.????:confused: