countering deception

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by slow_shash, Oct 6, 2006.

1. slow_shash

slow_shash Regular Member

Engineering student
    i am easily 'fooled' by good decepton, both at the net and overhead .i just cannot anticipate well enough.what should i be looking at the shuttle,racket or the opponent's movements?could bad footwork also be a cause for this?

2. golddragonfly

golddragonfly New Member

my 2cent's worth...

It seems obvious but try to stand and ignore opponent's moves before the actual stroke. The calmer you will be the less confidence your opponent will possess.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Observe how your opponent moves and plays. Look for tell tale signs and patterns. Once you've seen his moves once or twice you can anticipate better. You can also "bait" him into playing a shot he's deceived you on before. Since you know he's going to play that same shot, you'll be ready for it. For example if you're up against someone who's got a deceptive clear, fake shuffling forward but prepared for the clear. You'll surprise him when he finds you've read his shot. Also standing still (in the ready position of course) for as long as possible throws opponents off too. This way, you're forcing him to change his shot at a moment's notice.

If all else fails, hire a sniper:p :p :p

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Proper positioning helps, especially at the net in doubles. Sometimes, a player will try to pause or hold their movement, then hit a deceptive shot, particularly off a serve. In this case, as the server you need to move in while your opponent pauses to take away the angles. When they're delaying, they may be losing the space and time needed to hit a good shot - so make sure you take advantage of that!

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    footwork, footwork, footwork. No matter how good their deception is, it's not impossible to retrieve it

6. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Hi guy,
    Deception is a skill....executed by faking,sudden change of direction, feinting, and even slowdown and slow in hitting the shot. Not all the shots are readable. If not, it will not easy to trick yr opponent then.:D Dont over react to yr opponent shots. Stay calm, always on yr toes or ball of yr feet n ready to move once the shot is played.;) Observe yr opponents various ways of executing his deceptive shots n plan how to counter them. Discuss with other how to deal with them.:D
    Lee:)

7. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Being able to retrieve deception comes in two parts, first by light and fast footworks. You have to be able to rapidly take multiple steps. First is usually where you usually think where the shuttle is going and second is usually to reposition yourself to move to where the shuttle is actually going. However this is not as easy to accomplish as said, you need lots of upper body training to "feel" light throught out your body. Ofcourse having the ability to concentrate strongly is a big asset as well.

Second part is by experience. Which comes with age I guess :p

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Another point would be to watch where the opponent does their deception, and avoid playing a shot where they could use it on you.

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    It may sound weird, but you can ask someone to 'train' you for it. You know, just play deceptive shots with you, after a while you learn to hold yourself back, while at the same time anticipating. Try not to move before your opponent hits the shuttle.

My coach used to do that.. while doing.. say, forehand lifting, when he sees us moving before he even hits the shuttle.. well, he'd suddenly flick a shuttle to the baseline. I learnt pretty quickly not to move before my opponent(in this case, my coach) actually hits, and to be on my toes all the time.

Yep, the twisting of legs and falling down(occasionally) helped. Lol.

Oh, and don't look at the racquet, look at the shuttle. A racquet, with the right angle can send the shuttle anywhere before you know it.

In order words, you need to train your mind to be ready for practically anything, anywhere on the court.

:)

10. zydoce

zydoce Regular Member

Student
    I used to play with one guy who'd always doing deceptive shot and everytime he did that, I was getting fool.. And now I'm able to play well and can do deceptive shot as well.. :)

11. kwcheong

kwcheong New Member

Officer
    normally the 'deceptive move' can be executed only
    if the player is fast or u move b4 he hits the shuttle.

your opponents are unlikely to 'fake' u unless u did the following;
    1) hit the shuttles to him
    2) he reads your play very well.
    3) he is fast and able to be 'there' early where u placed the shuttles.

therefore, my advice and tips...
    1) do not move until he 'actually' hits the shuttles
    2) place the shuttles tactfully to make him chase

opponents swift enough to be there already where u placed the shuttles,
    he has the 1-2 secs time to execute his 'delayed' shot and this is the KEY!

12. h3ytony

h3ytony New Member

My coach once instructed me that to avoid being "faked out," do not watch your opponent or his racket. Instead, watch the bird itself.

That might help.

On the other hand, one of my fellow players told me that this was incorrect, and you should always try to read your opponent's intentions, so I;m not too sure exactly what to do at this point. n.n;

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    How to counter deceptions? Do not commit until you're sure the shuttle has left the opponent's racquet.

14. sulismies

sulismies Regular Member

My thinking follows that of kwcheong's. Your opponent will need some extra time for making a deceptive shot. If you make your opponent to chase the shutle, his possibilites for playing a deceptive shot are greatly reduced.

The strokes of skilled players tend to be difficult to read in any case. You may feel that there was some kind of deception, although your opponent just played the shot the same way he did before: this time the shuttle landed close to the net whereas previously the shuttle landed on rear court.

If this is the case, there is little you can do. You will need explosive speed for your movement on the court and you need to remember: do not anticipate, move only after your opponent has actually hit the shuttle.

This is a somewhat different from deception, where you opponent first shows that he is about to do one thing but then suddenly does something else.

15. kwcheong

kwcheong New Member

Officer
    for easy understanding how to counter deception...
    do not simply move around b4 the shuttle is being actually hit.

to prevent opponents from playing deceptive shots...
    make the fella RUN! and chase for every shuttles...he'll have no time.

BTW, i will like to share few simple tips to all of you out there...

1) any drop is a good drop as long u make the opponent run.
    2) any clear is a good clear as long the opponent cannot intercept.

remember these simple tips will help u improve your game very much
    and less mistakes u will make.

16. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    yup fully agree with kwcheong.... well if you're good at countering your opponent's deception, it might be to make him pay with your own deceptive shots....

17. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Good footwork to keep the gaps closed.

If you have time to study your opponent, look at where there looking its not a sure fire answer but it gives a good guess.