Attacking coming forward to the net-how do you finish it?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by huynd, Oct 6, 2006.

1. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Hi,

I have this problem in playing double: Very often we get an easy shot, then I start to smash/drive and come forward to the net. Very often my opponent can't return the shuttle over me so i can gradually reach the net. The problem is: I can rarely get a killer shot and finish the rally.My opponent keeps returning the shuttle, and when i reach the net, I often end up having to play a tumble net shot, not usually tight enough so my opponent still can lift it back. This is quite frustrating to me because i had control of the rally but could not finish it, although we can maintain the attack. I just want Bcers to share their expriences on how to reach the net. I think my problems can be :

- My stance is too high (will try to lower my stance next time). When i come forward, the returns are often at the same height with my face.

- I need to aim the drive/smash. Actually I'm not fast enough to think where should i drive the shuttle to, in such a situation when shots are really quick. Anyway, where should I aim my shots when coming to the net?

2. Riceeboy

Riceeboy Regular Member

Keep your racket up and if they keep returning ur shots, just continue smashing... try to aim their chest.. or their head hehe

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your net returns are probably too flat, because you are concentrating on power. As you move towards the net, you must use a shorter swing for more accuracy (less power). When the shuttle is only slightly above the net, a short rebound tap swing, using the fingers, will make the net kill steeper.

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    dont go too far in front, if you are planning to finish the rally at the net dont use overhead shots, you needf as much power and steep angle as possible and if you keep going foward your partner will have to cover the back and part of the front
    try to attack by aiming for the shoulder of their forehand side, or the armpit area it will jam them up

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    When coming into the net area, you probably got too aggressive and try to hit em hard as fast as possible. This means you're hitting the shot flat and trying to hit your opponents. Might I suggest that you take alittle power off your shot and concentrate on hitting the empty spots instead. By hitting those spots, you actually make them return your shots while they move thus pressuring them to reduced effectiveness of their shots and cause them lift some more. Move back a step everytime you hit a net shot so that you could better intercept wider angled returns, this is assuming that you actually step into your shot when you attack the weak returns..

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

keep comign to the net as usual (keep in mind your partner needs to be aware of the fact hé is now covering the backcourt)
    but when you're 'walking up' you need to mxi your strokes. easiest is if you can tap it off straight down at the net (around the service line). or do 1 hard hard and when the next one comes block it (deceptively)
    or you can try to cross-kill it...

mix your strokes!

7. huynd

huynd Regular Member

These are great ideas! Although I haven't tried them yet but it seems many ppl here have correctly pointed out my weakness. When attacking and coming to the net, I succeed most with backhand shots, which are normally weaker but steeper. Moreover when it comes to net play I aim better with back hand.

Thanks again for the advices.

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

There are a few skills that I think are key to making the kill at the net in this type of situation:

1. Basic net kill technique for returns that are high at the net. Using either a panhandle or thumb at the back grip, use finger action to power the kill shot (much faster that way) and these grips eliminate the forehand-backhand transition.

2. Lateral movement. Unlike singles where net coverage often involves a large final step and reaching towards the bird with a lunge, doubles has much smaller lateral steps with the leg of the direction in which you're going often leading the movements. This is because in doubles the emphasis isn't on the range of court coverage but rather on covering a smaller area with a very fast pace. The only time I would find myself extending my body would be on a definite winning shot like the brush kill where getting to the net as quickly is key.

3. On tighter flat or drop returns, an important shot is the push back at the opponents. The trick to getting this shot is to contact the bird as close to the net as possible. The further back you contact, the more the bird has dropped and the more likely chance that you'll be pushing the bird upwards. If you do it properly you should at least be able to keep the shot flat and just doing that will keep pressure on your opponent.

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    That is probably true for most (if not all) players, regardless of level of play.

10. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Well, after trying all these suggestions for a while, my net play has clearly improved. Not only I can come forward to the net during the rally, but my service return is now better: Some quick fast drive and kill off a final weak return.

Of all the suggestions above, that of using shorter swing seem to suit me the most. Now with net play, I found that my returns are steeper with short swing. Besides, i don't try to hit the shuttle square, there seem not enough time to do that. Just hit the shuttle at any angle, provided that you can control it (steepness rather than direction). Also, I learnt (yet again) the importance of keeping very relaxed grip and just tighten the fingers at the moment of impact. I will work more on placement and shot variation.

Just some of the experiences i want to share, and again, thanks for the advices :)

11. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Aim for space and vary your attack. If your normal return is a drive down the tram lines then surprise your opponent with a cross court drop.