Oversize racquets anyone?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by roller, Oct 7, 2006.

1. roller

roller Regular Member

Recently seen in Singapore some new models from Prince and Hart with oversize isometric frames. I wonder if Yonex will follow this trend. ;)

It might work in tennis but not sure about badminton. These oversize frames may have bigger sweetspots than conventional frames but in badminton it might not make a lot of difference. It could be more forgiving when there is a mishit.

Anyone tested any oversize frames before?

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    it cannot go too big if not its against regulations

3. vince_kan

vince_kan Regular Member

Hi roller,

May i know from where have you seen these oversize racquets? Recently i also saw some oversized models from Hart and i thought they looked quite well made from the exterior appearance...oversize and light weight....price was around S$90 and shop uncle tell me selling very well also....

Have you (or any one else) played with one and any reviews or comments?

4. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    I did recently buy one of the Hart rackets: Infinite Nano Flex 81, which is stated to weigh in the range of 81 to 83 grams. Here are my opinions on it:

Well obviously it's quite light, and I don't find it as powerful as my other Protech Max Nano 6000. There is also a slighly heavier model in this range, the Infinite Nano Flex 83, which I have not tried.

I don't think the oversize racket head really matters that much. And lengthwise it's pretty much the same length as the newer Protech Max Nano and Karakal M-Tec Nano Titanium rackets I have tried, longer than most if not all of the ProAce and Apacs rackets. (Again, there must be numerous other brands coming out with longer length rackets, so it's not a unique feature at all.) So I won't really consider it to be significantly "oversized".

The most distinguishing features of the Infinite Nano Flex rackets are (1) the "Inside Wave" curves on the inside of the racket head, which I have also seen in some Toalson rackets (called Nano Wave or something like that); and (2) the 82 holes for the strings, compared to 72 or 76 for the regular rackets. The effect of the 82 hole system is to create a string bed where the "squares" produced by the intersections of mains and crosses are smaller at the center of the racket head, then get larger at the top/bottom/left/right of the racket head. And with the additional 6 holes compared to the 76 holes isometric rackets, you find that only either a main or cross string passes through each hole, i.e., there are no holes where both a main and a cross pass through it.

Possible minus points: I find that my Infinite Nano Flex 81 appears to have a problem with dissipating (spelling?) sweat. I have used two different overgrips on top of the stock grip on the handle. My other rackets also use the same types of grips, but the overgrip on the Hart always ends up wetter and more slippery. Even if I make a conscious effort to use the Hart less because I feared it slipping from my hand. So I am thinking of the next step, whereby I remove the orginal stockgrip, and replace it with first a thin overgrip to replace the strock grip, then my usual overgrip. It is difficult to describe this problem, maybe I simply sweat too much. But I do find this problem affecting my usage of the Hart racket. If my proposed solution works, I will report back.

5. vince_kan

vince_kan Regular Member

Hart Infinite Nano Flex 81

Hi tkteo,

How much did you pay for your Hart racquet and what did it come bundled with?

6. tkteo

tkteo Regular Member

Student
    $85 inclusive of string, overgrip, and racket bag that holds up to 3 or 4 rackets.

7. roller

roller Regular Member

Its available at Toa Payoh safra, queensway shopping centre and Sembawang Shopping centre.

No have not tried these oversized racquets but very tempted to :)

8. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    SGD or USD?how about the 83?
    So,is it comparable to any yonex rackets?

9. SpursIndonesia

SpursIndonesia Regular Member

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    There are oversized iso racquets from Yonex (like ISO MF75LT), but I find the bigger the frame, the bigger the sweetspot, but it loses it's "sweetness" and "punch".

11. SpursIndonesia

SpursIndonesia Regular Member

Yeah, agreed. The sweetspot gets bigger, but the bigger it gets, the lesser focus it has.