User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beer sounds good to me . I ussually take water during club night. on tournaments I took a gatorade and a banana after each game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can make your own energy drink to suit your own requirements. They are better, cheaper, fresher, and have no preservatives. All you need are table salt, low sodium salt (for the pottasium), sugar, orange concentrate, baking soda, and water. Energy comes from the sugar and electrolytes from the others. Other more solid (less soluble carbs. like bananas) energy sources are not very suitable for badminton because they release energy too slowly. Or you can replace sugar with glucose powder, which cost maybe 20 times more-an unnecessary luxury.
    For the average badminton player I suggest the following :

Ingredients to make 2 litres of own sports drink :

1. Table salt, 1/4 teaspoon
    2. Low sodium salt, 1/4 teaspoon
    3. Sugar, 4 tablespoon
    4. Orange concentrate, 90 ml
    5. Baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon
    6. Tap Water (filtered if possible) to fill 2 litres of your own sports drink.

Remember, filtered water should be consumed within a few days, even if kept in the fridge. The reason is that filtered water has no chlorine and does not keep long.
    I have yet to find a commercial sports drink that is comparable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water, anything containing alcohol or caffeine tends to not rehydrate you. If you want the caffeine buz take a couple of pro plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    You can make your own energy drink to suit your own requirements. They are better, cheaper, fresher, and have no preservatives. All you need are table salt, low sodium salt (for the pottasium), sugar, orange concentrate, baking soda, and water. Energy comes from the sugar and electrolytes from the others. Other more solid (less soluble carbs. like bananas) energy sources are not very suitable for badminton because they release energy too slowly. Or you can replace sugar with glucose powder, which cost maybe 20 times more-an unnecessary luxury.
    For the average badminton player I suggest the following :

Ingredients to make 2 litres of own sports drink :

1. Table salt, 1/4 teaspoon
    2. Low sodium salt, 1/4 teaspoon
    3. Sugar, 4 tablespoon
    4. Orange concentrate, 90 ml
    5. Baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon
    6. Tap Water (filtered if possible) to fill 2 litres of your own sports drink.

Remember, filtered water should be consumed within a few days, even if kept in the fridge. The reason is that filtered water has no chlorine and does not keep long.
    I have yet to find a commercial sports drink that is comparable.
    What is baking soda for? Electrolytes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as i am aware its probably better to go with the glucose rather than a sucrose solution as the glucose is a monomer and thus is absorbed quicker as there are no bonds to break (Table sugar (sucrose) is a glucose and fructose molecule bonded together). Most sports drinks are designed to supply carbs whilst still ensuring that gastric emptying occurs as normal. The higher the sugar conc, the lower this rate and thus less hydration occurs but more energy replacement as more carbs are getting into the system.

These drinks are normally designed to offer the same gastric emptying rates as water wilst still supplying energy and minerals lost via sweat and other processes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tbone
    What is baking soda for? Electrolytes?
    In sports drinks, it is very important that they contain electrolytes and lactic acid buffers. Sodium and pottasium are the two major electrolytes, the former works outside your cells and the latter inside. Baking soda is the only sports drink ingredient that has both electrolytes and lactic acid buffer, sodium and bicarbonate, respectively. The bicarbonate delays the buildup of lactate, so that you can still run around your opponent who is probably exhausted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually drink just water, maybe a little gatorade or powerade during intense training sessions. and eat bananas or dried apricots to avoid cramping
    But if you go to some of the tournaments in northern alberta (where I'm from) you'd swear they're using beer as an energy drink. Most of the time you can smell the alcohol on you opponent from across the court, that's how you know they're local...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

evylgrynn's energy drink is Amaretto....

You have to be careful of dose loading electrolytes to give you a quick boost during a match - it's like a sugar high... works great for a while, then you crash.

I was given advice to taek sports drink and cut 50/50 with water. It tastes pretty lame, but I've found that I get less dry mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Amaretto is a little bitter, isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff

You have to be careful of dose loading electrolytes to give you a quick boost during a match - it's like a sugar high... works great for a while, then you crash.

I was given advice to taek sports drink and cut 50/50 with water. It tastes pretty lame, but I've found that I get less dry mouth.
    Hi ViningWolff,

Amaretto is a little bitter, isn't it ???

But when evylgrynn mentioned about taking dried apricots... yes, Amaretto is made from apricot stones.

Cheers... chris@ccc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff

I never mix Amaretto with badminton, the consequences would be disastrous! Especially during mixed doubles play, I don't think I'd live to see the next day.
    Unfortunately I have had beer sneak into my water bottle from time to time during tournaments, I never could figure out how that happens.
    Amaretto is made from apricots???? maybe I should stay away from apricots too then....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will use Evylgrynn as a lab rat and we shall develop a badminton shooter - dunno what we'll call it.

Uh, no the intention is NOT to make it taste like goose feathers or glue. ( given that I don't drink and am a chemical engineer, there is a possiblility a few first attempts might taste like the cork base)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much these names:

smash punch
    dinker shot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gatorade? i prefer water but if i wanted to replenish myself i'll add 2 pinches of salt and 2 pinches of sugar to 1 bottle of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Energy Drinks

Yo guys, if you haven't tried beaver buzz then you are truly missing out. Don't believe me, check out this video. It is really sweet. Rate the video while you are there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6-xHk3KLQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't beer slow you down?? Its a depressant...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water and a protein/energy bar for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glucose??? Sugar Alcohols 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHart
    As far as i am aware its probably better to go with the glucose rather than a sucrose solution as the glucose is a monomer and thus is absorbed quicker as there are no bonds to break (Table sugar (sucrose) is a glucose and fructose molecule bonded together)...
    Don't thing that glucose is the way to go. White grape juice, which is very high in glucose, ain't a good idea either. The problem with glucose, becuz it is absorbed so quickly, can result in a blood sugar spike when ingested in sufficient amounts. This blood sugar (also glucose) spike will probably cause a release of insulin which will likely leave you with a blood sugar level lower than it was before ingesting the glucose.

A combination of high glycemic sugars and low glycemic sugars is probably a better idea so that an insulin release is minimal. (Note that glycemic load is more important than glycemic index). Combining glucose with sucrose & fructose is one way to go.

Another posibility is to include some sugar alcohols as sweeteners to provide a source of calories that have very little, if any, effect on blood sugar levels (hence no insulin release). Sugar alcohols include Xylitol, Erythritol, and Glycerol (glycerine). Another plus with these sweeteners is that they do not promote tooth decay and, in fact, are beneficial to dental health.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast