Recommendation for stringing in SG

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Scooby, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Scooby

Scooby Guest

Any recommendations ? So far, I have only done it at Bras Basah.

I need to get someone who is good, as I intend to string my MP100 @ 24/25lbs. Currently, it is on BG68Ti@24lbs, but I see the strings fraying at the centre, so I am afraid that it will snap soon, and worse is that the frame will collapse. So I intend to pre-empt that from happening, anyway, BG68Ti feel is not good also.

2. modious

modious Regular Member

Beauty World Plaza, Kemin Sports Store.

Gladius has been stringing there for the past 10 years already!
    But if you intend to string it with BG-85, do not go there yet as they're out of stock.

3. mustafa

mustafa Guest

Keat Sports (Wong Shon Keat's shop) at Singapore Badminton Hall.

4. Scooby

Scooby Guest

Thanks for the recommendation, I went to Kemin at Beauty World, as it is closer to my home. They run out of BG85, so I settled for BG66.

Actually, I used their services before, but like more than 10 years ago !

5. Kenny

Kenny Guest

The stringer is an anut, she string the racket with one length all the way and claimed the string tension will be more even than cut the string into two length.Do you guys agree with her.

6. Kenny

Kenny Guest

Keat Sports, the stringer is an anut, she string the racket with one lenght of string and claimed that the string tension will be more even than those cut the string into two length. Do you guys agree with her.

7. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Huh ?? Don't get you on that?

All the rackets I string there are done with the 2 strings lacing method. That has been over 10 years ... I guess maybe you misunderstood her or she misunderstood you ?? Not too sure what you mean here anyway.

If you want technical answers, ask the boss, the husband. He's better equipped to answer your queries. The lady at the shop has limited technical knowledge though she is quite ok since both of them know me (by face at least). But her stringing skills are quite not bad at all. At least my strings last longer than when I try most of the other places.

Actually, come to think of it, you mean stringing with one string throughout the whole frame ? Well, there are 2 schools of thought on this. One is for one string and the other for 2 strings. Most racket manufacturers would call for 2 strings. But old time stringers sometimes still do it with one string!

The rational was derived from the days of natural gut and also for (I think) wooden Tennis rackets ? As the tension wass pretty low and the frame almost a perfect oval, its actually better to use I string as it would allow the string tension to be more evenly spread as you 'break-in'. By using 2 strings, its to counter the adverse effects of frame shape tapering that Yonex popularised. As the frames are unevenly structured in strength hence verts and crosses should be of different tension to counter-act this.

So, I really don't know what's the query here since all my rackets strung there over the past 10 years or more ( as far as I can recall) are done using the 2 string lacing pattern.

8. Patrick

Patrick Guest

There are 2 styles: 2 string=4 knots or whole length = 2 knots.
    I would think that a 2 string method gives a more consistent tension.
    Word of advise- go to a stringer who is also a badminton player.

9. Kenny

Kenny Guest

Thanks a lot for your comments, I would like to restring my rackets with 2 strings lacing pattern soonest possible.

10. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    So you were referring to Keat's ? Thought you were referring to Kemin ....

Got confused by your comments...

11. Scooby

Scooby Guest

I had my MP100 restring at Kemin yesterday and it is the 2 string method, since there's 4 knots.

I finally had the chance to use the new string, which is BG66@24lbs, wow ! It is much better than the previous string, which is BG68Ti@24lbs too.

Power is definitely up, I think power is even better than BG85.

Looking through my racquets, I noticed that the racquets I bought in Thailand from the Yonex shop actually use the single string method.

12. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Good to know you like your new string setup. And BG-66 happens to be cheaper too. Anyway, Kemin has run out of BG-85 and currently awaiting stock. Seems a lot of places have run out of it in Singapore.

But point to note is that BG-66 does not retain its tension very well although to most people its quite acceptable. You'll notice a drop in tension after about 4-6 hours of solid playing. Maybe a 2 lbs drop ( a rough gauge in difference only, like a 24lbs string will feel like 22 lbs ... No way is it absolute )

Also, the string like the BG-85 has some durability issues.

Its definitely good for you that you like it as its cheaper than the BG-85. I don't know why, perhaps its just preference but I find both the BG-66 and BG-68Ti a little to 'bouncy' for my liking. The 'feel' isn't as nice as the BG-85.

Anyway, hope you like the shop.

13. modious

modious Regular Member

I disagree. A good badminton player is not nessesary a good stringer.
    It's like in football whereby a good football player does not mean he has what it takes to be a coach in the future.

Patrick wrote:
    >
    >
    > Word of advise- go to a stringer who is also a badminton
    > player.

14. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Its just the way they prefer to string the rackets. Some people like to string with 2 knots, and some like to string with 4