how to hit fast and accurate?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by harmono, Oct 9, 2006.

1. harmono

harmono Regular Member

I think I am more stong then most badinton players in my club. But these little guys seem to hit the shuttle way faster then me!

What's the trick?

2. golddragonfly

golddragonfly New Member

I guess cause it's not about strength :). Badminton is one of the sports where it's harmony that counts and not just sheer might. That means that it's about timing of the smash, which depends on the speed and footwork, which depends on the seeing court etc etc. A fraction of the second later or earlier than needed and your shot will be off it's best. Also hands strength is not as important as strong core (abs and back) which actually account for most of the power. Although if you are coming from tennis background try use more wrist than hand - which also helps. and the only thing that will help is practice. But at least you will have fun perfecting it.
    So keep up with your nickname and you should be good.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the trick:
    -find a secret coach
    -practice in a secret gym

knock your frens off with your return from sick leave absence:p

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

take a bigger backswing, don't be afraid to let the racket head go behind your back. timing is the most important thing in overhead stroke, accuracy, then flexibility, lastly strength.

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

technique is way more important then strength in badminton, get some coaching, hitting the sweetspot with wrist pronation is the trick.

6. harmono

harmono Regular Member

Thanks for the response. Is it safe to assume that an overhead clear is a simular motion to a tennis serve?

Also, should the handle of the racket ever move in my grip. I.e. also snap it with my fingers in addition to my wirst?

Lastly, how does one find a secret coach, or any qualified coach for that matter?

7. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

if you wanna find a coach, ask the pro people where you play. their bound to have a coach.

8. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Timing, no point in throwing a bomb if its not going to connect.

9. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    i can tell you, even if you are a national weightlifter or have lots of muscles you cannot smash that powerful still.

badminton needs practice! skill, and technique:eek:

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Visit local gyms, and many tend to offer group / individual lessons. Get some feedback from local players, and go with the reputable program(s). ;)

11. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    without proper stroke technique, most of the energy you put in a swing is not
    being transfer to the racket then to the bird so most of the engery basically are gone with the wind.. When u eventually get it right after some coaching perheps and numerous more practises sessions, then yah having greater strength will contribite to the final output. But then when that happen
    u'll most likely start to consider trading in some of those strength into accuracy.
    And on the grip, generally only at the impact point, you wish to hold the handle very firmly, for the rest of the time, leave some room between the handle and your palm so u can let you fingers do some work.

#11 chessymonkey, Oct 10, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  12. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

It's called 'finger power' in BF. Search and you'll see when to apply it optimally, though you seem to do it intuitively already.

13. golddragonfly

golddragonfly New Member

For the 1st - yes , it's very similar , at least from outside - since I never played tennis. Except in the moment of contact , it's only the wrist that moves not the arm. Kinda like a whip, the sound (power) comes from the end which is the fastest part.

2nd. Yes actually the handle moves almost constantly, except as previously noted in the moment of contact with shuttle. The reason for movement is different placement of the large finger on the racquet - it's very different for backhand vs. forehand.

3rd. Check out the badminton clubs, they usually have someone available. if you can't find anyone, read some exercise from this site and parctice them yourself- it helps.

Good luck

14. harmono

harmono Regular Member

Thanks again guys!

It's a really fun game!