Badminton games with a twist...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Miss Museli, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Miss Museli

Miss Museli New Member

Bit of a strange request but....

Does anyone know any games which involve badminton but are fun/silly/good for kids or a general entertainment evening?

As an example we play a game where you put a blanket over the net so you cannot see the opposition. Play in teams of ~8. You all sit down and have to hit the shuttle backwards and forwards without standing up/seeing the other side of the court. If the shuttle hits the ground the other team scores a point.

Are there any good websites with games like this?

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i saw a picture that elwin took at the world championships in madrid, and the shuttlecocks were huge, probably helps kids hit them more consistently. have a look in the 2006 tournaments under the world championships and look for his pictures, you'll see what i mean.

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    There was an interesting tournaments format for the youth recently held accross malaysia this year.

3 on 3 Badminton Doubles.

Basically 3 players on one doubles team taking turns to play each set. Best of 3 sets. Each player can not play more than 2 sets, and player change is a must after each set.

It was quite interesting and fun!

TBBMBB(N)

4. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I think you've just reached that website..

I'm sure the BFers would enjoy giving ideas.

The one many coaches use would be the running in and out of the court with turns. A few kids(can be any number from 3-8,9,10?) line up at both ends of the court. Then one kid starts by serving, and the other side hits it back. Once the kid has hit once, he/she has to run out immediately and the next in line runs in to hit the shuttle. The point goes to the side that wins(like any normal singles game).

Think I'm not being too clear here.. some help?

5. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I think she's saying each side have kids form a line off court, kid at head of line will hit one shot, get off court to end of line, and next in line will be on court to take the (return) shot, etc, until shuttle hits the ground.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

For this game, drop could be deadly, as even if the opponent sees the stroke, s/he has to run backward and pray that his/her teammate can come to save the miracle. Clear might be the worst selection, as you simply give the other team way too much time and shorter distance to run. :rolleyes:

7. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

have alot of kids on the court and play with more than one bird :D
    stand back and enjoy the chaos

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Or the number of injuries? Lol!

Yes, I was trying to say that.

LB, yes, a drop will be deadly.. but then netting in return would be deadlier...

#8 Joanne, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  9. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    well you can always change the rules so that the players don't have to line up behind the court . . . ;)

10. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

The running around makes it more fun. Among small kids? More screaming :p

Besides, if they line up beside the court.. it'll definitely become a one-sided game.. literally. Lol.

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Didn't have the time to elaborate that day. Among small kids, this game has the potential to become a bloody affair. ;)

Okay, picture this.. er.. you said a lot? Hmm.. about.. 6 kids on each side then. 3-4 shuttles. 2 shuttles are about to land on this kid's head, but he is too busy reaching for another shuttle on.. say, his forehand side. 3 kids attempt to rush for the 2 shuttles.. and.. yeah, this is when the bloody affair starts. That poor kid's head will be.. let's just say if he manages to escape from it with just a few bumps, he's very very fortunate. :rolleyes:

I just remembered, a few of us used to play this game a while ago. 3-6 kids can stand on one side of the court, and another 3-6 at the other side. Someone named it the 'Survival' game. Once someone made a mistake(hit net, hit out, missed etc), that person will be out. The winner will be the side that lasts the longest(last person surviving).

It's a good game, encourages team spirit. Those who are 'knocked-out' can support their side by cheering etc.

Oh, and the difference in standards doesn't really matter here.. unless it comes down to a 1 on 1 game..

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I actually played a game with many people on court about a week ago at school. We sort of rotated around the court to serve and take front/back/sides between rallies - a bit like volleyball :p (or at least how I played volleyball at school - not sure if that's the way it's actually played).

Actually... it was kind of boring as we didn't get to hit the shuttle much lol.

13. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Playing doubles; have one birdie facing to the cieling on the middle of the court ( under the netting ). The play doubles witha different color bird. You can only score a point if both birds are on the ground on your opponents side. This means while one doubles partner smashes/drops/clears etc, the other has to rush to the middle and flick the bird to the other side . The other team then has to have one person return it and try to get the one on the ground back to the OTHER side w/ their other person. If the birdie in play lands on a court and the other birdie is still on the other side; no points are given. Play to 6 or something like that.

Played this game when i was 10... so frustrating... yet fun...

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Sounds fun.. of course, if I ever play it I'll have to use an old racquet for the shuttle on the ground.. in my excitement I'm bound to bang it on the floor one way or another.

But a different colour shuttle? I only know of the RSL Marble black & white shuttle...

15. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    different color as to differentiate which on is for play and which one is for ground flicking.
    When i played it everyone had basic 10$ racquets so didnt matter much.