What are the Korean players doing?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by LI De Quan, Oct 11, 2006.

1. LI De Quan

LI De Quan Regular Member

student
    MS:LEE Hyun II,PARK Sung Hwan ,SHON Seung Mo .Does anyone know what are the three players doing? Why they decided not to play in JAPAN and CHINA?(and LEE Yong Dae/JUNG Jae Sung) when LEE Hyo Jung and LEE Kyung Won play together again? How is LEE Hyo Jung now? By the way, who is JUNG Youn Kyung ?She is now partner of both LEE Jae Jin and LEE Kyung Won.There are HWANG Ji Man/HA Jung Eun,HA Jung Eun/HWANG Yu Mi, HWANG Ji Man/LEE Jae Jin,LEE Kyung Won/JUNG Youn Kyung,JUNG Youn Kyung/LEE Jae Jin on JAPAN OPEN + CHINA OPEN.

2. k-a-n-t

k-a-n-t Regular Member

I want to know too. How about Lee Jae jin? Is he fine?

3. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I thought Lee Jae Jin/Hwang Ji Man just lost to GanTC/Zakry just now?

4. xbro88

xbro88 Regular Member

Lee Hyo Jung suffered a serious injury at HK Open and will not be back for some time... i think JUNG Youn Kyung is a replacement for LHJ until she return from injury

5. blessing

blessing Regular Member

mayb dey r preparing 4 deir Doha games gua...

6. event

event Regular Member

The Asian Games are definitely the priority for the Korean team. Lee Hyo-jung is still injured and is hoping to still play in Doha. There is a national sports festival next week. Even Kim Dong-moon is coming home from Canada to play in that so I wouldn't be surprised if that were keeping many national team players from the China Open. As for Japan, maybe it was just too soon after the WC.

7. blessing

blessing Regular Member

yaya.. i agree:)

8. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    they are training hard

9. freelast

freelast Regular Member

China team did not play the korea open except Bao CL. So Korea sent their 2nd team to China open as an equal response.

10. freelast

freelast Regular Member

Korea, is the closest country to China in Badminton, especially for those players, most time in Beijing, Korea is so close. But how come China national team never active in Korea open, which is usually a 6 star. Any ideas?

11. event

event Regular Member

I've discussed this many times. Technically, it isn't "never". They sent virtually their whole team in 2004 and also in 2002, both to the Korea Open and to the Asian Games in Busan. 2003 and 2005 there were next to no Chinese players, although Xie Zhongbo and Zhang Yawen were there as a relatively new pairing in 2005. Ironically, both times it was in Incheon, the only city in Korea that has anything close to a "Chinatown". This year, we did see some second-tier, like Chen Yu, Zhu Lin and Lu Lan, and even some first tier players like Bao and women's doubles winners Yang/Zhang. As for reasons, I'm not sure. It can't be the prize money because, as you say, Korea is always the top of the heap in that department. If you're thinking of Korea being "close" to Beijing meaning that makes it convenient, I don't think the difference in flight time to Southeast Asia is that significant. This year, players from many countries sat out either the Hong Kong or Korea Open in an effort to avoid injuries prior to the Worlds.

In any case, lest this thread stay off-topic, I can assure you that the Koreans' absence from the China Open was not some kind of tit for tat way of getting back at China. All the players mentioned at the top of the thread - LEE Hyun II,PARK Sung Hwan ,SHON Seung Mo, LEE Yong Dae, JUNG Jae Sung, LEE Kyung Won, JUNG Youn Kyung, LEE Jae Jin, HWANG Ji Man, HA Jung Eun, HWANG Yu Mi - were in Gimcheon last week for the National Sports Festival. This is a sort of national summer games and so the schedule is not in any way decided by the KBA. Only LEE Hyo Jung was not playing there. She is still injured but is still hoping to play in the Asian Games.

12. k-a-n-t

k-a-n-t Regular Member

That's so clear.