Yonex or BK?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by rbuvic, Oct 12, 2006.

1. rbuvic

rbuvic Regular Member

Undergrad
    Fellow players, I need your help.
    I am in the market for real.
    My level of play is novice~inter. I haven't played for a while and now I want to get into the game! I am looking at a more competitive offensive game. More attacking, less receiving!
    In the past I have used YONEX Carbonex 7000 (heavy), Isometric 75 mf (light), and racquets from the club/kind players (mainly shitty old dirty).
    I have been notified about a racquet sale recently and here are the ones that I'm looking at.
    BK Rapier Reg $119.95 now $99.95 strung
    BK Olympian Reg $109.95 now $89.95 strung
    BK Mystique Reg $99.95 now $84.95 strung
    Yonex MP 21 Reg $99.95 now $84.95 strung
    Yonex MP 23 Reg $90.00 now $59.95
    Yonex MP 33 Reg $145 now $99.95 unstrung
    What would you recommand?
    Here's my thank you in advance.

2. rbuvic

rbuvic Regular Member

Undergrad
    I will be playing doubles.

3. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Are you sure it's an MP33, not MP30? The MP33 has been discontinued and I've seen $99.95 MP30 at SportsChek, that's why I'm asking. The MP33 BTW, is stiff and slightly head-heavy - great for attacking.

4. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

lol to tell the truth i tried exactly those two raquets and liked both of them quite alot but they all lacked something that i do not know yet. (can't know because i broke my carbonex and my iso was stolen @ school )
    from what i see bk rapier seems to be ok, but most of my friends use muscle power alot and seem to have strong smashes. (i currently use carlton aerogear 900 and seems like the raquet's shorter then other ones)
    from my bias i say yonex but you should try them first then buy (canada has nice return policy and don't take plastic off the handle if you intend to return it)
    and see if you can get mp 44 for cheap

5. rbuvic

rbuvic Regular Member

Undergrad
    thanks to both replies.
    first, it's a mp33 for real, because it is probably old stock, that's why it's on sale to be rid of inventory, i?
    2nd, what's the market price for a mp 44?
    according to Yonex USA;s 2006 catalogue mp 21 and mp 44 are both new models. mp 44 (3u) has bit more power, lighter than mp 21 (2u)
    mp 21 is located in the center of the grid, mp 44 on the other hand is slightly above the x-axis

6. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

The MP44 retails for around $140-150 in the Van area. This was my first racquet and it was great as a beginner racquet. It's head-light so it's fast and great for defense. The MP44 gets power from it's flexible shaft which provides a trampoline effect to propel the shuttle faster. This is great for folks who have a weak or slow swing.

More advanced players who can generate enough power already from their swing will opt for a stiffer racquet. Stiffer racquets provide better control than flexible racquets.

I'd grab the MP33 if I were you. The cheapest Yonex with a stiff shaft is probably the AT-500 and this retails for about the same as the MP44.

7. rbuvic

rbuvic Regular Member

Undergrad
    thanks pedro22
    i read a lot of reviews and features on these yonex Rs, but now i'm simply confused by all the information.
    any comments on black knight's?

8. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Sorry, haven't tried any BK.

9. rbuvic

rbuvic Regular Member

Undergrad
    Just a quick update, after your suggestions, and after reading quite a few reviews, that MP 33 made it to the store counter for purchase today. It is the last one in the store, since it's an older model from a few seasons ago, and the only racquet made in Japan (of those I've mentioned on sale) The BK Rapier Pro is better looking IMO, but it had a larger grip, with its typical BK rubber. That I did not like. And it was made in Taiwan, so there is no comparison in the manufacturing cost of those 2 better racquets. MP33 was on sale from 146 to 100 unstrung, BK was on sale from 120 to 100 strung. Now my new MP 33 is being strung, I hope it is worth the investment. We'll see its performance this Sunday!