how can i improve my strength???HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by proace, Oct 13, 2006.

1. proace

proace Regular Member

hey guys...i am 165 and 52kg...nw in my game i am lacking alot of physical...do u guys have any drills or methods of carrying weights tt i can improve on my game???really need help!!!=)

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

i think technique is always more important then strength, no matter how strong you are, you will never smash as ard as someone with good technique. just work on technique and less on strength, when your at a pro level, then worry about strength.

3. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    if you want to get stronger do weights go to the gym workout
    but if you just want to smash you should work on your technique first before working on arm power, smashing with wrong technique is a waste of strength it will tire you

4. Crazypeetee246

Crazypeetee246 Regular Member

run suicides :p
    i really don't think specialized trips will help you out tremendously, our school played against a school who had wrestlers as their badminton team, they were like big macho muscular robots, too bad they sucked
    i think ur time would be better spent on the court

btw what level are you at?:confused:

5. sulismies

sulismies Regular Member

You might try aerobics classes that involve rapid stepping patterns, performed to music with cues provided by an instructor. You might want to choose a class that best matches your physical performance level at the moment.

Yep, that's not a real badminton exercise, but can be an interesting alternative.

6. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Many badminton strokes don't require as much muscle power as in other sport. Working on proper techniques will help you tremendously. At the place where I play there's a little boy who's merely as tall as net height, but he can still give many adults hard time with his good clears and decent net play.

At recreational level, physical strength is not often a big issue. However if you want to improve your physics, the first thing to do is working on improving your foot work and stamina.

7. proace

proace Regular Member

lol...i am quite a intermediate player who have mastered the techniques...but my smashes just doesnt seem to be powerful enuff to kill the opponent...any ideas?does pushups work?

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Wrist work. Strengthen your wrist, and learn how to whip your wrist down quickly. Even without much power the angle is already there, and with a bit of arm swing your smash should be fast and angled just right.

I'm as tall as the net. Does that make me a little girl? =P

#8 Joanne, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  9. huynd

huynd Regular Member

OK. So let's assume you have all the correct techniques. In that case your smashes are already quite powerful. My friends are quite impressed with my smash and back hand clear :rolleyes: , and they're quite surprised how weak I am when seeing me do some weight lifting job :confused: . I mean correct techniques give you quite much power. However, powerful smash doesnt mean you can kill your opponent right away. Facing an opponent with good defence, there's little chance you can win him with just one or two back court smashes. I concur with other's opinion, it's good to improve physical strength, but working on better anticipation and shot placement will do you good too.

10. sulismies

sulismies Regular Member

Yep, definitely wrist work would be good. For maximum effect with least amount of effort, you might consider strengthening your fingers, wrist and forearm rotation. That would turn your arm and hand into a dangerous weapon on a badminton court :D

You may also feel that there is a problem with stroke production, even though the actual problem is in the travel phase (footwork) before the stroke: in this case your positioning and balance may not be optimal for smashing.

If you are behind the shuttle, well balanced, hitting the shuttle using a good whipping action and all this takes place between the net and the doubles long service line, it should be quite difficult for your opponent to return all your smashes.

Well, one more issue comes into my mind, though. This happens to me every now and then because players at my level can read my strokes quite well.

Namely, if I am smashing and trying to achive 110% of my max power, my opponent can return the shuttle and possibly regain attack. However, if I try to achieve only 90% power and use the remaining margin for clever placement of the shuttle or to build some kind of deception, then I will be more likely to hit winners...

11. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Since you have mastered the techniques, i presume you have a pretty good coach. What does your coach say about your smash?

12. proace

proace Regular Member

my coach says tt i am lacking in physical strenght...any ways to strengthen my wrist?i have a weak wrist though...=)

13. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Big and strong can be a dissadvantage, I would sooner be slight and agile but as I dont have that option I have to relly on being able to hit hard.

Work on your timing and technique more than your physical strength but do a little light weight training and let the power grow over the next couple of years.