cheating...using the NSS

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wing-omega5-0, Oct 13, 2006.

1. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    this....just drives me insane. often people wont be directly counting the score. rather they will use wherever the server is standing to "count." i guess thats fine because its tedious to have to go one by one all the way to twenty one points... but this one guy i played decided that since he screwed up where he and his partner were supposed to be standing on the court during the rally, they'd give themselves an extra point. seriously, what is that supposed to be? this happened during a sanctioned tournament and when it happened the first time, we let it slide because it looked like an honest mistake. but when the score hits 19-17 and they throw themselves up to 19 because of the length of the last rally, somethings seriously screwed up.

another flaw of the new scoring system....count your points, not where you're standing...

2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    if u served and then lost the point somehow. when u get back the service, it is your partner who should be serving.

3. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    ya we all get that. thats not really the issue though. they always remember who served last when they get their serve back but a few times they were standing on the wrong side(s) of the court and would give themselves an extra point because they cant remember whre they were standing when the last rally started....:mad:

4. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

so if you knew what their score was, why didn't you correct them??

5. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

I dont like the fact that you will have to continously say the score out loud even in a social game ... or else nobody will remember what the hell the score is.

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

its just learning curve

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I'm not quite sure what you're saying... Wouldn't it be easier just to count anyway? And shouldn't you have had an umpire if this was at a tournament? Sorry I'm a bit slow, it's late here heh.

8. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    i think the new system only works well for singles...
    oh well we cant change it BWF rules the badminton world

9. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

no, the new system works for doubles also. you just need to assert yourself more. if i think the opposition is giving themself free points, i would definitely speak up.

also, there is nothing wrong with saying the score out loud before every serve. it's actually better this way as to avoid confusion such as your case.

10. mazinkaiser

mazinkaiser Regular Member

Network Consulting Engineer
    yes, the new point system doesn't work for doubles very well. now, not only you have to remember the points, you also have to remember where you stand and who served last. In a regular social game, its fine if the scores got mixed up, but in a tournament, you should always shout out the score every time before you serve. Even in the old scoring system, you should always shout out the score before every serve, otherwise, I've seen cases where some doubles team added two points to themselves and a fight almost broke out because of it.

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    It's a not-so-good system. Any talk from IBF/BWF/whatever they choose to call themselves about changing it?

Every wrong line call costs a precious point! With only 21 points, every point matters.

In social games yeah, sure I don't care much about the ins and outs. I trust my opponents to be honest, otherwise why play? Unless I see too many wrong calls..

But in tournaments, it's not a good thing. People in tournaments are playing for.. well, they are only intent on beating you. Most(most, not all) will try and get away with wrong line calls in their favour if they can.

It's easy to cheat with this new system. Just standing on the wrong side of the court, adding an extra point to your score won't get much questioning from your opponent. Often enough I myself am confused with scores, and if my opponent seems confident that he/she has the right score, I just shrug and follow him/her.

But anyhow, it shouldn't happen in tournaments. The confusion about score/where to stand. Line calls maybe, but not score mix-ups. The umpire with the clipboard should be able to tell the score.

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

There should be no score mix-ups in tournaments, and I don't see how there could be. I'm not quite sure what the NSS has to do with this though, could someone please explain to me? I'm just not getting the point of this thread (not saying it's a bad thread - I just don't understand it).

13. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Why not? Very few tournaments have umpired matches.

However, I don't thing that RPS is to blame. It merely exagerates the problem if the scores are wrong. It is up to each player to call the score loudly at every point.

14. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    but even then...there'll always be some ppl that try to cheat off a point or two. if its rly an honest mistake then sure...also, i'm at a tournament to play badminton, not to start a fight cause of the score. no umpires are present because its not like....a high level tournament or anything.

15. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Nah, you are overreacting.

With old score, there was always the trouble with 1st serve/2nd serve. Hence the trouble from which side to serve. If the rallies where long enough, even the score was not so sure any more. And to be a score judge was not very pleasant.
    I have not seen any problem with new system, but only sometimes me or my partner gets to serve twice in a row, but I guess its not that big drawback. Counting is surely much easier and tournaments are shorter.

Well, just my 2 cents :p

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    If you're talking about doubles, there was no trouble with 1st/2nd serve with the old system. The person who served/received first will always be on the right when it's an even point, and on the left when it's an odd point.

Well, if the umpire paid attention, there will be no problem. I mean, I did it before, and without getting confused, why not anyone? I'm no one special after all.

Counting is way easier I must admit, especially for doubles, but I hardly see the difference between a doubles and singles match now. A slightly bigger court and an extra player for doubles. That's about it.

My 2 cents too :p

17. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Well, I'm talking about friendly matches, wo umpire. Usually only one person counting, and when he/she loses track of was it the 1st or 2nd serve, then its guessing game :) The longer the rallies, the higher the probability, that we did not remember was it the 1st or 2nd serve.
    As long as the system is reasonable enough, I don't care, as long as I get to play badminton. I lose money by playing badminton, I'm not earning it :D