Fixing Broken String

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by zasboy, Oct 14, 2006.

1. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

Hi,

I ran into a problem while stringing my Genji racket. I strung the main with no problems. As I was stringing the crosses, the string snapped while I was tensioned it. I was totally frustrated because this was the second pack of string. The first pack snapped while trying to move a string that was across a hole. Two packs of string gone in one day. ARG! :mad:

So not wanting to deal with getting new strings, I decided to mend the broken string. I got the two ends of the string, used an anchor knot on one, and used a double hitch knot on the other. The result was this:
    [​IMG]

As I'm looking it, it does scream: "Please cut me! I shouldn't belong here". But the string bed feels good and I don't see any distortion on the frame. So I guess it's okay but just want to get a second opinion on it. If the majority of the community say cut it, then I will cut it.

-Thanks

#1 zasboy, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    cut it ; cut it; cut it; cut it......

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    just cosmetic, it wont affect play.

4. smashdropclear

smashdropclear New Member

What string are you using? Is it old? New strings rarely snap when you tension racquets... lastly, what tension are you stringing at?

5. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

Both packs of string was Ashaway MicroPower Ti and I was stringing it at 23/25 which in opinion, is about 24lbs overall.

I was using a dropweight, 2pt mounting, 2 piece stringing, starting pin, 4 flying clamps, and stringing it from bottom to top.

#5 zasboy, Oct 14, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  6. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

It is impressive that you could get the knot precisely between 2 grommets. In any case, you must have done something to weaken the string for it to break so easily. That means there may well be other part of the string weakened in the same way. If the string doesn't affect play, it's cheaper just keep the string until it breaks, which is quite likely to be soon anyway.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Check the tension gripper and the gromments. If they are damaged, then they usually "cut" string while tensioning. :cool:

8. zasboy

zasboy Regular Member

CoolDoo6: I had to be a bit creative to figure out a way to get a knot between two grommets. Here is what I did:
    - There was two broken strings
    * One was detach from the frame, lets call this A
    * The other was still on the frame, lets call this B
    - Took string A, and made anchor knot onto string B
    - Knowing that the anchor knot can slide around, I pushed it down onto string B until it was touching the grommet
    - I had to secure the anchor knot or it would slide off. So I took string B and made a double half hitch knot to secure the anchor knot
    - Cut off the excess strings on A and B
    - Continue stringing.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend mending broken strings. I was just frustrated and didn't want to deal with driving to the local badminton shop, getting another pack of string, driving back, and starting stringing from scratch again. I just wanted to string the racket with Ashaway MicroPower Ti so I can test it. I found out that I could buy a reel of Ashaway MicroPower(not Ti), but since my local shop doesn't carry MicroPower(but carries the Ti), I was hoping that the Ti would be somewhat similar to the non-Ti version. I'm assuming that only major difference between the non-Ti and Ti is just the Ti coating for added durability. I heard good reviews on the MicroPower and wanted to test a pack of it before I buy a reel.

LazyBuddy: I will check out the grommets and tension gripper. Hopefully, there isn't any problems with those.