RUMOR MILL: THE WORD IS OUT... MAGNESIUM

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Kelvin, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Hi folks,
    I don't like to normally generate too much excitement............

Ok forget that. I'm all about excitement!!!! :eek:

The word out on the street is that the new line of racquets from Yonex, and other major manufacturers... is that MAGNESIUM will be used in the production of our equipment. Supposedly stronger, and lighter than Boron. I know it's not exactly a new use in other sports equipment, but for badminton it is fairly new, and this will apparently be the buzz of the times, Titanium/Magnesium racquets.

I don't quite know what Yonex has in store, but it's supposed to be pretty special, in the light of heated competition for shelf space in Europe... Karakal will be launching their re-colored, slightly re-designed line this September.

Forza will relaunch their entire new line this August.

Meanwhile while the Yonex brand name sells itself, it will not likely have any significant changes this year... maybe a re-labeling, or recoloring of some of the existing racquets.
    Titanium is still the gimmick of choice at the moment.

Just thought you guys might want to know what you'll be using next. :p

If I can dig any more rumors, or true facts up for you guys; I'll be sure to keep all you equipment junkies informed with a rumor mill commentary. :)

Until then... Keep on smashing!

-Kelvin

2. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Yonex will definitely have to alloy magnesium with another metal - it's way too soft of a metal to use in a racquet frame in a mostly pure form.

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    mostly likely it looks like their super HM graphite, or ultra will be paired up... it's doubtful we'll see those ti- carbonex racquets in north america...

4. Creative

Creative Guest

We'll definitely go for it because it has the YY logo on the racquet. We're hooked on Yonex. :)

5. Yamato

Yamato Guest

hey, so this "magnesium" line will be coming out around 2003 rite??
    Is there any chance that they will push it earlier to maybe like late 2002??

oh, by the way, just a thought, u know how intel actually has the pentium 5 chip made and ready to produce at any moment rite now. Just that they wanna drain all the money out of us with the pentium 4 chip before they release the 5. I wonder if yonex would have made the new line of rackets already, but just won't release it till later.

6. Yamato

Yamato Guest

hey, so this "magnesium" line will be coming out around 2003 rite??
    Is there any chance that they will push it earlier to maybe like late 2002??

oh, by the way, just a thought, u know how intel actually has the pentium 5 chip made and ready to produce at any moment rite now. Just that they wanna drain all the money out of us with the pentium 4 chip before they release the 5. I wonder if yonex would have made the new line of rackets already, but just won't release it till later.

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    You know, that could be what they're doing... or already doing to us with the Titanium+Muscle Power racquets.

I have no clue on release dates... this is only a "rumor" it could happen sooner than 2003, not sure.
    However this rumor is from my reliable source, so as not to get him/her fired, I wont name names.

I do know that the pros have been under going testing of new products most recently during their training sessions.
    It's pretty exciting though, but I don't want this to all turn into heresy.

Magnesium will apparently be the gimmick of choice for the upcoming innovation.

This makes me just want to get out a periodic table, and check off everything we've used, and what we have left to use. :lol:

However as Brett mentioned earlier, it is highly doubtful that a 100% Magnesium alloy racquet is possible, it would have to be combined with a stronger substance such as Yonex's super pure Ultra HM graphite.

Then again... I guess we'll all just have to wait, and see. :)
    I want my Magnesium Muscle Power 500 now! :lol:

8. Yamato

Yamato Guest

haha, pretty exciting stuff here!!
    what are they goin to do next?? Power cushion 3 shoes, Magnesium+Ti strings, Ti+Muscle Power+Magnesuium isometric rackets, a new yonex logo???

9. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    i think they should use the ALUXX SL tubing that Giant, the MTB company uses on their bicycle frames...their frame is made of aluminum and is quadruple butted..their large size frame weighs 3lb! SO imagine that material on a badminton racquet....u can get it down to 10g lol....

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but it won't be stiff enough. bike frames are made with very fat tubing. the stiffness of the tubing grow to the 4th power of the size of the tube. so manufacturers are able to get away with such a soft material as aluminium to make their tubing stiff.

in badminton rackets, there is the aerodynamic issue, they can't make the shaft any thicker.

and also, a badminton frame has to take a lot of compression at the frame. imagine, a racket strung at say, 20lbs, each string segment has two ends, and there are 22cross and 22main strings, that is 1760lbs pulling at the frame. the thin sidewall of a bicycle will collapse right away.

11. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    If only we had an insider from one of the companies to answer are quetions

12. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    Maybe there will be a pure ti and magnesium racket.but i don't think it could happen

13. budi

budi Guest

I'm loooking forward for Yonex to manufacture badminton racquet fully made out of gold ! must be the most expensive racquet :)

Or the next thing that will come out of Yonex is an alloy of Ti/Gold racquet .

14. Howard

Howard Regular Member

Student
    That would cost like 3000 per racqket,or better yet a diamond racket,diamonds are very strong but that would be like 10....................... and it go's on from there.

15. mustafa

mustafa Guest

Howzabouts rackets made of uranium or plutonium?
    They will probably explode out of your hands upon impact!!!! LOL!!!

16. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    ohhhhhhh never thought if it that way :p
    but it is still possible to bond that material to graphite! same idea as yonex's magnesium concept, except it will be less expensive.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this is the 1st time i heard of it and this is my initial opinion:

- the Mg is likely to be use on yonex mid-line rackets, similar to the old cab8
    - just the frame only, shaft would still be graphite
    - it is advantageous to wrap the entire frame with Mg alloy mesh. If this happen, it would be likely in yonex's high end rackets.

disclamer: IMO

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no, you will die before that

19. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Guys,

The best way to find out is ask mark(Winex Uk) as to whether it is true or not.

I am very sure that winex might be producing magnesium rackets of their own by now if it is true that Yonex is manufacturing magnesium rackets.

So let us wait for the verdict.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i don't doubt clone leader like winex, yang yang, fleet, etc are all aware of yonex's next new trick. Mg alloys are not some new hot exotic material. Maybe yonex has a way to blend Mg alloys with graphite to make it special enough for their marketing dept to exploit on

Mg alloys have similar strength as Al alloys but about 50% lighter. Don't know why bike manufacturers still focusing on Al frame bike. Maybe brett could comment on this. Mg is just a tad more expensive than Al.