User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default About coaching

No doubt that self training can really bring great results, but add coaching to that, that can make much diferrence. In any kind of sports you need someone who can stand behind you and observe objectively how you play, the coach may not be a better player but he can see what you can't see, coach can better motivate us and help us imrove our strategy. Since badminton is a high impact sports, coaching is very crucial. As I said, they maybe not better players but their experiences are invaluable. Even if we perceive great atheletes to be a "natural atheletes" , still the fact remains that they too TRAIN VERY VERY HARD and are always being supervised under the guidance of a coach. Actually self-training really comes after coaching, thats inevitable. I have been lucky to have a coach free of charge. We would always discuss techniques and mental agility a lot and do drills for less than an hour, and apply it in actual games.He would then strongly encouraged me to do regular routine of OFF-COURT conditioning. So thats the point where you are being self-trained. My coach is a crafty veteran and if i could only post his picture, you might laugh at his appearance ( he always seemed like playing for basketball than badminton because of what he wears)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in simple terms i agree to ... its not what u want but how bad u want it ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heya dimitri, i live in new lynn. ive given badminton a break for about 2 months now, had a wrist stress injury, so taking rest. also my school exams are on from this monday so studying...

we have an indian association here, and they got a state player from india. they are starting a club in the beginning of december, and the guy is gonna give free coaching to seniors and juniors alike... thank god for this opportunity. hope ill make the best of it, im only just realising the full advantages of coaching..

my brother recently made it into the Auckland U-14 development squad, and recieves bloody cheap coaching every friday from national team players. i go sometimes and watch him... wishing all the time that i was in his place... well my time's gonna come.

looking forward to sharing more stuff with you guys. dimitri, i cant say ive ever heard of ur club.. i play for lynndale club. where are you in auckland, and where is ur club?

Sandakan,Sabah, M'sia.. currently in Auckland, New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi nickchan ... im staying in north shore..and the obviously the clubs i joined r in north shore. we play in north harbour badminton court as tht's the only badminton court in north shore. th court is istuated in forest hill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lala Miso
    Oliver,

I know how you feel. I just recently picked up the game a little more than a year ago. And im at the moment 16. So, Im in my senior year of high school. My Coach, Phu Khuu of Bintang Badminton Academy, inspired me so much by telling me anything is possible if you just put your mind into it. SO i did! I gave him my trust and my future.

Let us Prove that hardwork and determination is all that anyone needs =]

--Ryan
    Ryan, I like the last sentence so much!!! Anything can happen if you're willing to do so, no doubt!!! Ryan, I think I've seen you on court before, it's great that you can train 8 hours a day I love to do that but I just don't get enough time . (approximately I am training 4+ hrs a day, 7 days/week at UnitedBadmintonClub for little bit less than a year now) My coach Zhou Lei has encouraged/supported me a lot, besides physical/technical training, she constantly shared/me the road to her proessional career; what amount of hard works spent to achieve her world champion title; given me tons of great experiences that I couldn't seek for elsewhere! I also have the same goal with you that is to become a professional one day and the champion in U.S. I guess from now on I have to increase my hours on training otherwise next time when I meet you on court, I may lose badly

Let's all work hard and achieve our goals together!!

Heng

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing is impossible in this world. I read Eddy Choong's article and it says: if you want to be a school champion, you have to spend 1 hour x 3 session per week to train.
    To be a state champion, it takes 5 hours x 4 session per week. To be a national champion, it takes 6 hours x 5 session per week. and to be world champion, you have to spend even more time for the training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes this is all very well and good and i'm well aware that if i spend X amount of hours on court then i stand a good chance of being a top player some day

but of course this comes at cost of around $40 NZ dollars an hour now if people are saying that i should be on court for 5 hours 5times a week then that works out to be $200 NZ dollars a day and $1000 NZ dollars a week so thats $52,000 a year and with the average wage being $25,000 NZ dollars and me being a poor student oddly i cant afford to become a pro the easiest way so that was why I started this thread to find out if anyone had some loop holes to becoming a Pro player

P.S i would appreciate if people didn't HI-JACK my thread thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olle_whitehead
    yes this is all very well and good and i'm well aware that if i spend X amount of hours on court then i stand a good chance of being a top player some day

but of course this comes at cost of around $40 NZ dollars an hour now if people are saying that i should be on court for 5 hours 5times a week then that works out to be $200 NZ dollars a day and $1000 NZ dollars a week so thats $52,000 a year and with the average wage being $25,000 NZ dollars and me being a poor student oddly i cant afford to become a pro the easiest way so that was why I started this thread to find out if anyone had some loop holes to becoming a Pro player

P.S i would appreciate if people didn't HI-JACK my thread thank you
    There is no easy route to becoming a pro player. It may amount to lots of dollars and lots of pain to endure during practice, but nevertheless self fulfilling. You have to invest money, time and patience if you want to achive your goals. But remember, you've got to get fit to play badminton rather than play it to get fit. Lack of money is not a reason not to pursue your dreams, its a matter of how creative you are in finding ways. If I were you, try to do OFFCOURT conditioning , to include, biking, running or jogging or marathon or any activities that can help improve your stamina and legwork. , Then if you already have a decent raquet, pick up at least 3 shuutle and do some walling for 15 to 30 min every other day, this exercise will improve your wrist power and eye coordination. Then do some aerobics at the comfort of your home, lets say 1 hr a week to improve agility. then insert light weight training or preventive strength training to avoid injuries, you dont need to lift too much pounds but you will have to increase repetitions per sessions, for example, i do calf raising 3 sets of 20 with a weights around my waist, so i can improve my jump smash.
    You can create your own workout routine, design them like a game, do them religiusly, and take note, these are just examples of offcourt conditioning. You can also regulary watch videos of pros playing, take some video instructions, watch local competitions. etc
    You can also do your footwork exercises or shadow drills at the comfort of your own home or garden.
    There are so many posibilities even if you are poor. Dont make being poor as an excuse..If you reaaly want to afford coaching fees, then try saving money little by little on a daily basis. Doing offcourt conditioning can reaaly bring great results. All you have to realize is that you have to embrace POSSIBILITY THINKING.
    Hope to see you guys on court!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it gave me great pleasure to read your post for at the moment i am already doing alot of off court activities like i am running daily i do alot of biking (simply because i enjoy it) and i do heaps of footwork drills (NZ has alot of open fields) and i even bought myself a badders net so i could practise returning simple shots like blocks

i think the only thing i'm not doing is watching pros on video and doing wieghts but i can assure you i am if i dare say so myself in excellane physical shape but what i am lacking is time ON court if only i can get this sorted i will well on my way to achieving my dream

for the on court situation i have asked around so see if anything is happening over the summer (yes its summer in the southern hemisphere) and i have got myself involved in some summer clubs and i have also implemented a suggestion on hear of doing my coaching badges so for the next seaon (around March) i will be helping out some juniors which will improve my basic shots

but as many true badders players know you never want to leave court which is why i kept this thread open just incase anyone has any further ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olle_whitehead
    it gave me great pleasure to read your post for at the moment i am already doing alot of off court activities like i am running daily i do alot of biking (simply because i enjoy it) and i do heaps of footwork drills (NZ has alot of open fields) and i even bought myself a badders net so i could practise returning simple shots like blocks

i think the only thing i'm not doing is watching pros on video and doing wieghts but i can assure you i am if i dare say so myself in excellane physical shape but what i am lacking is time ON court if only i can get this sorted i will well on my way to achieving my dream

for the on court situation i have asked around so see if anything is happening over the summer (yes its summer in the southern hemisphere) and i have got myself involved in some summer clubs and i have also implemented a suggestion on hear of doing my coaching badges so for the next seaon (around March) i will be helping out some juniors which will improve my basic shots

but as many true badders players know you never want to leave court which is why i kept this thread open just incase anyone has any further ideas
    You should get hold of some Chinese dvds or vcds on the techniques and fundamentals of badminton. They teach you the way and techniques the Chinese national players play. Although you may not understand Mandarin you will get the big picture.
    For example they explain the 3 ways of imparting power unto your strokes and 6 ways of using the wrist snap. Also explained are the complete footwork, the 3 variations of going foreward towards the net, 2 variations of covering low or flat shots on your sides, 2 variations of taking the shuttle high on your sides, 2 to 3 variations of footwork playing the around-your-head stroke, 3-4 variations of covering the extreme back forehand corner for low and high shots, and 2-3 variations of taking a backhand stroke. Also covered is how to handle and smash down a flick serve in doubles when standing near the front service line. Then they explain in great detail all the strokes, from how to serve, how to receive a serve, etc covering 7 hours. Also covered are the basic strategies/tactics (1 hour), physical training, injuries, and prevention of injuries (2 hours+).
    With these knowledge your coaching sessions with your coach will become more productive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Act like a Hero

When i do jumpsmash, i think of myself as Peter Gade or Lin Dan or sometimes Lee Chong Wei, when playing doubles, i imagine Tony Gumawan as my partner..by wathcing videos, u can absorb how they think and play esp during winning moment..You dont just admire them on tv but you are being inspired deep within, giving the idea that that your dream is definitely achievable..Taneepak is right! watching fundamentals lessons in dvd esp from chinese players like Zhao can be tagged along with your sessions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too wanna be a good badminton player. i still have no badminton coach by i want a coach to train me. i'm still not good even when smashing. i can't make it a drop-shot. and i can't control wheather my hit should not be too high so that the opppnent will not be able to smash. maybe u can help le with this..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Zhi Wei, 17 this year...currently a player representing school !!! I got a dream of becoming a national player just like all of u here, but my dreams are always objected by my parents !!! they go against me, ask me to focus more on studies, but somehow my studies are not that good either, so i would want to give a try on my luck !!!

Currently i train once a week, 2 hrs, In schools i play around 4 hrs, and dis year, i managed to achieve Doubles Champion in school...started playing badminton at the age of 14...

Can i still make it??? Can i?? I been doing all these physical exercise, shadows footwork and shuttle drills against the wall everyday, but currently due to some MAJOR EXAMs, i was unable to resume my normal training sessions...until December...is it possible for me to stil catch up???

Btw, Dimitri, How long will u be in Malaysia, if got chance i would like to have a match with u and gain some advice and experience from u...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's all about politics if you want to go pro...you gotta know people...gotta have connections...gotta have the dough....it's really tough in fact, for a regular person to make the jump....now it's not utterly impossible...it's more improbable...for someone to get all the money through sponsors, through working or anymeans....to count all the travel costs and tournament costs....coaching costs, court costs...food, living arrangements...and even when you do make it...the lifestyle is probably something you wouldn't expect...to earn less than you spend...to have little to no recognition beyond your own city etc...it's a tough life, even though you aspire to be it...maybe deep down, you're just looking to have recognition or fame, and that too comes with connections...there are only a handful of people that ever get to live this lifestyle...and it's hard for someone to say it, maybe even depressing, but sometimes it's time to face reality and see how utterly impossible it is...now i'm not saying give up...hell, i'm not giving up and i'm still training with bad knees a wrecked wrist and limited resources and going to university at the same time...but there comes a time when you have to realize how hard it actually is, even in a non-traditional badminton country...you'll be suprised at how many other people in your region/country that strive for the same...but good luck! and i hope you make it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you didnt answer the question of are you either oliver pike or oli leyton-davies, cos if you are either of them, i have played you at either JB or CP haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erm...im malaysian???
    Haha XD
    well....nice to meet u guys...i know it will be living hard to be a national player...u sacrifice everything...everything, including time !!!
    Well..at times sacrifices must be made to achieve something in life...thats why this world is so unfair...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be a pro too.
    I admit that I am a stupid and naive 16 year old. Aiming for crazy goals. I only started training the beginning of this year. I am a dreamer. I think I am crazy.
    but just like anyone here, including ZhiWei, my msn friend, we hold on to this ambition. For me, everytime I considered giving up, a hunch told me to carry on. But hopefully with out burning passion we will make it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast