How to tell people they have a fake...

Discussion in 'Identify Fake Racket (Price/Source/Serial/Photos a' started by silentheart, Oct 15, 2006.

1. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Here is a question. A new member of our club asked me to restring a MP30. Once I hold it in my hand, I know it is a fake. It was a such bad fake that it is not even funny. I say it is prob a racquet worth no more than $10 USD (new younex string cost me almost as much as the racquet. Also, there is another member (beginner) who use a fake NS8k and I can tell bcause her NS8k paint looks totally different from 2 courts away(by the way, she is cute too).

How should I tell the #1 so I don't sound like I am selling him a racquet. How should I approch the #2 so I don't hurt her feeling...

Any suggerstion is welcome.

2. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I wonder why do you need to tell them it's a fake? If it's b/c it's not worth re-string, say so. For #2, I'd say 'hay, your ns8k looks different from the ones in Yonex catalog' but I think it's probably a bad ice-breaker. Playing with her and give useful tips before telling her something related to 'you get a fake'.

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    When I see a fake racket if it was shown to me, I would generally ask, where did you get this racket from what what is the price. Then I would explain to them, that this racket is not genuine because of these clues on the racket visually.

4. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I think it is necessary to tell people who are using fake racquets but are not aware of them. But I usually approach them with some kind of sympathy. I will explain to them how to spot fake racquets in the future and necessary things to look for when buying new racquets in the future. I know it is hard to see them when they find out that the racquet they paid so much was not genuine but no pain no gain, so next time they will not be victims again. I absolutely think it is our responsiblity to educate and help new baddies to spot fake racquets.

5. shiroukamui

shiroukamui New Member

Yeah, just don't use "show-off" tone when you explain it to them. If they are really your buddies, you don't want them to get ripped off again, right?

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I agree with the idea of talking to them about badminton first, like how long have you been playing and stuff. Then ask to look at their racket or if you already have it, inspect it. Bring up the point that it just doesn't look/feel right, then bring up your suspicion. If they blow you off at that point, then the responsibility is out of your hand, but most people will inquire about why you feel that way, which lets you explain and give them advice on rackets.

7. tomblos007

tomblos007 Regular Member

just be simple tell him/her about their fake racket and give tips to recognize the genuine yonex... i did this to many ppl and they mostly know about their racket are fake

8. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

I have a couple of friends who are playing with fakes, but they knew they were fake before they bought them so didn't pay much. They think that spending $20USD on a fake/imitation is better value for money than $20 on a low end yonex.

I think you should first determine if they think their rackets are real or not and if they paid alot for them (as Matt says, by asking where they got it from). If they paid alot and like it, chances are they might go and buy another one, so better of letting them know somehow to save them heartache.

If they want you to string it at a high tension (such that you think the fake may not be able to handle it) then i think you should tell them based on you not wanting them to blame you for the breakage if you string it to their requirements.

#8 Hullabaloo, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  9. morewood

morewood Regular Member

In case one simply put it like, next time it needs restringing its probably best to look for a new Yonex.

Case two as she is a beginer the NS is way beyond her requirements anyway let her play on and perhaps introduce her to a NS later on when she will be able to ascertain the difference.

10. silentheart

Thank you all for the respond. I will post a respond next week after I return the racquet.

11. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Fake NS8k are good for weak players in power as they are very head heavy. I know a couple of girls using fake NS8k's, and I think they play much better with the fakes than would with the real thing. Although I string for them, I keep my mouth shut. They spent good money on the rackets, and I wouldn't like to ruine their belief that they have the best money can buy. Sometimes, it is best to let things be.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1) You've been asked to string a racquet, not tell them it's a fake racquet. What I would say is the stringing cannot be done very well because the racquet is poorly manufactured. Do they still want to restring it?

2) Say anything you want but talking about her racquet being fake as a starting gambit is not going to be a good chat up line;) Put yourself in her shoes, would you be impressed?:D

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Maybe they are aware that it is a fake. Unless if they REALLY dont know weather its a fake. You can ask them where they get them... then u tell them that to be careful when use the racket since its not original. You have to say it in a nice way and not implying that they are CHeapo buying fakes. Show some concern.

14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

hahaha, i'm normally very blunt, i'd just say 'hey, did you know this is a fake?'
    but then most of the people that know me understand that i'm not trying to offend them, so it works out fine. :p

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If they like head heavy rackets, why can't they just get a real head heavy racket from a reputable company to start with. I am not saying it has to be Yonex top end most expensive models. There are many head heavy rackets from each manufacture, and offer competitive prices. Therefore, why it has to be a fake? :cool:

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Agree with Cheung, just state the fact that string job will come out poorly (even brokeage) due to poor manufacture standard.

2. Try to know her 1st, and get togehter for some chitchat and games. Help her with her game 1st, and once she trusts u on badminton topics, lead her to the fact. If she feels uncomfortable with the fake then, lend her a good spare racket from ur own bag. Good time to be a "heor". :D

17. silentheart

I think I will string #1 with BG65 and let him know that it is a fake. I already let him and his daughter tried out my Cab20ms before and I think they know my Cab20ms is a much better racquet than the fake one.

#2 is a nice girl. She had a no name brand racquet last year and she did not show up for 2 half of the season last year (it was a ok racquet for beginner). I will ask her what promped her to change her old racquet. Only thing is I know she is very shy and she might not return to our club again if I point it out to her.
    PS. Now I am married for seven years, you know there is a itch I can not scratch? :)

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If she's shy, maybe means she does not have buddies around in club? The reason she wants to switch to a "better" racket, might because she wants to improve and get better? Try to help her out, and make her feel more comfortable. A little bit friendly chitchat, some good drills and tips can help her game. :p

Plus, never mention the last note. :D

19. silentheart

What? I am married or my athlete foot?:D

20. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

No, phsysically weak players hate head heavy and/or heavy rackets. In this particular instance, they loved light and head-light rackets. But accident of fate gave them head-heavy rackets that allowed them to perform much better than they would have if they had what they really wanted.

I have no idea why one of the girls got the fake racket. I imagine she wanted a good brand at a bargain price. The other girl wanted an NS8k cos she saw the first doing rather well with one. Having also unintentally bought a head heavy fake, the second girl started doing rather well in the power also.

I question the belief that fakes are necessarily worst quality for the intended purpose. In the case NS8K, and legality aside, I have no trouble recommending a fake for anyone who want to buy this particular model for power, because the genuine article simply cannot deliver what Yonex promised for a significant number of potential buyers.

I have strung a few fake rackets, apart from the wonkey paint job, and the general cheap feel to them, I have not observed their durability, measured by the rate of breakage, being worst than the non-fakes.