London Badminton Initiative (londonbadminton.org)

Discussion in 'UK' started by reazvawda, Oct 19, 2006.

1. reazvawda

reazvawda Regular Member

The London Badminton Initiative is a new not-for-profit scheme that aims to provide training, practice and coaching opportunities to players of all standards. We currently operate a ‘pay-as-you-go’ arrangement designed to enable players of sufficiently advanced standard to join the on-going training schedule. The primary objective is to provide a venue in which Singles’ and Doubles’ players from across London (and elsewhere) are able to train and practise with and compete against each other.
    There is no committment expected from players, and hence no membership costs. Therefore, players can still play for their own club in League competitions, but benefit from extra training from the LBI.
    We also aim to provide centralised facilities for players to attend tournaments in the UK and abroad.
    For international players preparing for the 2012 Olympics, we provide extra practise and training opportunities.
    The London Badminton Initiative has also started a Community Badminton Programme designed to provide FREE badminton faclities to Under-13s, OAPs, the disadvantaged and the under-privileged. Under this new project, we also aim to maximise the accessibility of badminton to all by providing affordable high-quality training to Beginners & Intermediate level players of all ages.

Visit the LBI website for more details & FREE badminton videos ! www.londonbadminton.org

Attached Files:

2. waiwai8

waiwai8 Regular Member

Policy & Research Coordinator
    Testimonial to the London Badminton Initiative

I attended my first session last Thursday after someone recommended me. I've been looking for a place in which to practise for a number of months now after I've felt that certain clubs have been rather exclusive and cliquey in the way they treat new members i.e being rather unapproachable and unwelcoming.

However, I must say that after attending the first training session at the initiative based in Swiss Cottage (except on Sundays where they play in Kentish Town) I felt very welcomed. Although I do not know Reaz Vawda very well (I've only met him twice!), he comes across as a very energetic and enthusiastic individual (and also a very good player) and judging from the very comprehensive website contents (e.g. concessions for the underprivileged and disadvantaged, news and events, restringing service, FREE BADMINTON VIDEOS! etc) he and the LBI committee are very proactive in raising the profile of badminton making it acessible to all.

There are sessions throughout the week for those of different standards. I've only been on a Thursday and Monday for advanced players. I did get a good few games in. It did put me off a little when I saw that they only had Training Sessions because I mainly wanted to play rather than just train. However, that misled me a little, in a good way. For advanced players they can play a lot of games on Mondays, Thursdays and perhaps, Sundays at Kentish Town - Talacre Leisure Centre (I haven't been to that one yet). On Tuesdays, it is by invitation only for elite players and that session is reserved for players who mainly want to undertake formal training and practise.

For beginner/intermediate standard players there is training as part of a community programme on Saturdays (see above post for more details).

In my experience there aren't many places (I won't say club because it's a scheme/initiative) where the players are of an advanced standard where the players are also very friendly and unpretentious.

If you want to attend a place with less chat, a friendly atmosphere and just gets on with badminton - this is it. The LBI is a very good scheme which I would thoroughly recommend anyone of any standard to attend for just games or to undertake formal training and practice. It has my full support.

Keep up the great work Reaz, I'll shall see you Thursday!

Wai

#2 waiwai8, Jan 9, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  3. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Hey WaiWai,

Yes - I've met these people and done some training with them. Agree totally - the whole set up is a refreshing change from the usual.

They also organise "Bonanza"-type tournaments open to all, and the Swiss Cottage venue is reported to be excellent for Badminton. All in all, well worth supporting.

BW

Smautf

4. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

the website has been down since i checked last week... is the club still around?

5. reazvawda

reazvawda Regular Member

London Badminton Initiative Website Temporarily Down

Dear All,
    Many if you have noticed that the website is unavailable at the moment and have been kind enough to notify me. The reason is the Supanames server has been down for the past few days. I have received no communication from them, and hope they will resolve this as soon as possible.
    Many thanks !

Next Advanced session - Thurs 8.30-10.30pm, Sobell LC.
    Then, Sunday 4.30-6.30pm, Sobell LC.

Next Under-13s - Sat 10am-12pm, Swiss Cottage LC.

Next Beginners/Intermediates - Sat 4-6pm (Courts 1-4), Swiss Cottage.

#5 reazvawda, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, the club is still active.
    it's a bit of a commute for you though ... isn't it?

7. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Thanks reazvawda for the update!

Dreamzz, are you in London at the moment... pm you to ask you for info...

8. Ali_king

Ali_king Regular Member

I recommend you this club if you want training from top coach and want to improve your badminton then I say you just have to check it out.

9. Lala_K

Lala_K New Member

Phd student (writing up at home)
    I TOTALLY recommend this club!! Reaz is an excellent coach, and very friendly and enthusiastic, and the whole "club" welcomes you, everyone who goes there is really friendly. I only go to the saturday sessions, (training for beginners and intermediates)... because i am a beginner, and its perfect, they have training for 1 and half hours, then friendly mixed double games, which is alot of fun, especially for newbies like me!! Coach Manuel, is really helpful also, he's really helped me with my technique! although still need loads of practice..but they are both excellent coaches.. and they go around looking at everyones individual technique and give you loads of hints and really help you to improve. Best badminton club there is!!! :)

10. reazvawda

reazvawda Regular Member

London Badminton Initiative Beginners/Intermediates/Under-13s sessions have moved !

London Badminton Initiative Beginners/Intermediates/Under-13s sessions have moved to Saturdays 2-4pm at Haverstock School behind Chalk Farm tube station (NW1, Camden).

Please visit our website www.londonbadminton.org or call Reaz (0776 0236 140) for more information.

FREE coaching provided by 2 fully qualified & experienced coaches (Level 2, Enhanced CRB).

Under-13s are coached separately from adults.
    Invite all your friends !

Advanced (County level) players train on other days at Swiss Cottage - consult www.londonbadminton.org for the weekly schedule.

Individual or small group coaching available on request.

Many thanks & see you soon !

Cheers,
    Reaz.
    info@londonbadminton.org