"Full Effort" Regulation.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Quasimodo, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

In light of the recent controversial JO MS final, referring specifically to the 3rd set, does anyone know if BWF have any regulation concerning some sort of a punishment against players whom BWF deem to be guilty of bringing the sport into disrepute by failing to deliver their full effort in a match? I believe other sports national/continental/world governing bodies (e.g., ATP/WTA, various FAs, FIA, etc.) have something like it, mainly to discourage team orders (how do you spell F-e-r-r-a-r-i? :D) and other types of match fixing. Do BWF have one?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

They penalised the China team a while back for the performance of one of their ladies doubles pairs.
    Someone else will remember the details better than me I expect.

3. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

That was during The WC 2003 BWF penalised Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen because they didnt give full effort during their match against Gao Ling and Huang Sui. As always the first set was great but the second was a disaster lol

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    That is a good point. I haven't seen the JO MSF but from whart I read and hear it seems taufik was putting less than full effort.

It the interests of fairness Should taufik be penalised for this. Arguably he actions are worse than YW/ZJ as it was in the higher profile category of MS, in the Final of a 6* tournament on Live TV.

Th WD QF match in WC03 was in WD, in a QF, and not on a TV court.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i don't see how this rule can be enforced though, especially if the players are from different countries. there's a fine line between not putting in enough effort and being off-form or just tired. who's going to make that judgement? i think it's too subjective to consider ...

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Why can it be enforceable on matches between the same countries and not enforced when players are representing different countries.

It is equally subjective and difficult to enforce.

WBF have to make the judgement, that is what they are there for.

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

That's what I was thinking. It would indeed be hard to enforce, and if anything would probably cause more of this dreaded controversy as there would more than likely be disagreements over BWF's judgement of a situation.

8. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    For the record, the penalty was against Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting in their WC 2003 WD finals match against Gao Ling and Huang Sui.

I watched that match, and didn't feel they were giving the match away.

9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

So, the consensus appears to be that BWF do have a regulation to handle these sort of things, then. Anybody familiar with its details? For instance, the actual statute, how an investigation is initiated, how a judgement is made and by whom, the range of punishments, etc.

10. Syaoran_Style

In fact Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting played Gao ling and Huang sui in the final and both pairs gave their best.
    The incindent happened in quater finals. i'll try to find the article for you =)

11. Syaoran_Style

About Taufik ! I really really admire him .. but when i saw the JO final i was sooo Disappointed ! He deserves to be punish ! that's just a shame for badminton ! In my opinion he insulted our sport ... he can't continue behaving like that. BWF should not let him participating in the Asian Games .. he'll understand what is to act like a child !

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..(for those interested) here's a link to one thread of that incident...well, you guys can also search under the same sub-forum as well..;)
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10961

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

------------------------------------------

Dont forget that nice guy Kenneth Jonassen did the same thing in

the HK Open semis against LD when he got so demoralised he just

gave up trying.

14. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

ummm .... hasn't it occured to anyone that the nss might be playing a part in this?

my feeling is, Duh!

if any player knows they cannot come back due to rallypoint I dont think they will try very hard.... and because of NSS you will also be seing alot of matches where they are probably be hiding the fact that they know its alraedy over :(

anyone see Poul Erik vs Dong Jiong? ... Erik came back from being down in points like 2-13 .......... and nobody seemed to be paying attention to all the dramatic endings to the matches in the last year before they removed 15x3 ... like in every tournament there were dramatic endings.

21x3 isn't badminton scoring, its more like a race in points or to make less mistakes in a pre-determined number of rallies.

#14 wedgewenis, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  15. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i think its up to TH coach if he should be diciplined, i do belive its not far to everyone, like the other player, the spectators and fan :(

16. felix929

felix929 Regular Member

hi i would like to comment on this full effort regulation,
    it is obvious that it would almost be impossible to have a control about whether someone is tryin their best or not,

Lets say:
    a) someone is not tryin their hardest and they win, do we penalise them?
    b) if someone is tryin their hardest but they just get owned do we penalise them?
    c) how bout external factors that are affecting them that the public do not know of that makes them unmotivated?

These are just examples of how this full effort regulation cannot be reinforced by IBF.
    But i believe that the nation itself or the player's coach has a responsiblity to overlook this problem but the MAIN factor would be the players themselves.

Just my 2 cents on this topic

17. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

talking abt taufik and the chinese ladies are different issue.

i remember hearing or saw some news regarding the chinese ladies saying that for that (or all) tournament when both chinese player met each other they are suppose to play their very best during the FIRST SET!! whoever lose the first game have to give up the 2nd set.
    This is to prevent them from getting too tired playing 3set of hard game between their own people, so the winner will be very fit enough to play in the next day against player from other country.
    UNLESS ITS FINAL then both side will go all the way for the title.

SO...i think if any player playing against other county and played too relax, or not putting in full effort should not be punished. because when he / she is tired and tryied too hard to keep up the speed, then he / she will be highly in risk from injury. dont you think that is worse?

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Chompchomp:

IF this is what the CHN ladies are doing, THEN then they will be violating this rule.

My point is thaT IF taufik/any other player is clearly not trying then they SHOULD according to the ruling be punished in the same way.

CHN/CHN ANY/ANY should not matter, the rule is still being broken.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here goes again. I remember back in 2003, for the CHN WD cases, I was involved in a debate regarding to "full effort". Guess let me try to bring back my point again.

I understand as us fans, we all want to see 5hrs of see-saw action, every rally lasts for 30+ strokes, packed action of diving saves / sky high jump smashes, every single set going into deuces, etc. However, did we think from player/coach's point of view:

1. Play hard is good, but play smart is also important. We saw a game as entertainment, but that's the life for a pro. S/he sometimes needs to conserve energy, and protect themselves (e.g. still suffer through injury, physically/mentally tired, need to save energy for next event/tournament, etc) For some reason, if they already give up (whether they like it or not), they have the right to let it finish fast.

2. Sometimes, players throw matches away, as they are being disturbed. Like everyone, we all have emotion. We can storm out of a meeting, if we feel being offeneded. We can call a sick day, if we don't feel very well. Players are doing their job, if things happen, they have their rights to call it short. I am pretty sure eveyrone more or less have experience in club, like we want to end a certain game fast (e.g. playing with un-friendly/annoying players, etc). So, we did not give full effort as well, but I think eveyrone understand the issue.

3. Penalty on players, hmmmm... How to make a fair judgement? I used to bring up WC2003 WS matches as example. ZN trashed CM and Mia with 15:0. With the OSS, and CM/Mia's ability, you tell me both of them can be trashed with a "0"??? Well, don't take credits away from ZN, but still... So, how you determine these 2 cases then? I remember there were ppl argue with me, say CHN players deserve the punishment because they play against their teammates, but CM/Mia are not their teammates. I can only laugh about it.

4. As an extension for #3. In earlier rounds, the top seeds usually blow out the lower seeds (e.g. from Q games) in a very short period of time. I remember XXF used to beat another girl in 8 min. Then, should we say that's "skill difference", or simply the other girl gave up at the end, but has better "acting" to cover "less effort"? I guess only the player him/herself will know.

In any sports, there're gray areas. Unless you can define clear rules to accurately determine the cause of the incidents, otherwise, things like this will happen all the time. That's part of life, isn't it? :rolleyes: