User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to answer your last question you can bounch or get pumped up before the rallie but once the server is ready to serve both feet have to be on the ground. also i like to add that im glad that more canadians are falling in love with this great sport, im in grade 10 also, its a great age to get a head start on advanced playing, being young you learn quicklier (in my experience) and i have to say with 4 months if you work hard you can notice a diffrence. make sure u have all the proper basic technics/strock production(also important to reduce unforced errors). have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you could call it "bouncy" but its a lot more than that, from the videos I've seen this is what I can tell you (right handers)
    - You should be ready to shuffle your feet in any direction (usually badminton players have extremely fast shuffling, like, they will get to the same spot as you did through a combination of shuffling/lunging/steps but faster):
    - Maybe shuffling is a bad word. Neways I saw a coach critique a player on a video once and one of the things I found interesting was that the coach said you should keep ur feet close to the ground and mainly use your lower leg rather than your upper leg to move quickly.
    - Theres a certain way to hold your racquet (more leaning to your backhand I think and also in a position so you are ready to return smash/clear/drive from both sides)
    - I believe I also saw that your right foot should be slightly in front of your left foot.

What I mentioned above is just the ready pose/stance. I usually get into this position whenever I have time. I never used to think this was important but as soon as I got into the habit of this, my returns were much more controlled.

I believe there are several ways to move around the court. I got really confused when this section was explained so I kind of blended them into something I'm more comfortable with.

BTW There have been a lot of posts on Badminton Central about footwork, you could do a search and find some valuable information

Thats my 2 cents

Also, don't get too bouncy. If you play someone whose deceptive you might "bounce" the wrong way and end up getting off an awkward shot.
    Last edited by Crazypeetee246; 10-21-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much lol. I've been looking around town for any sort of badminton organization and finally found one. It doesn't start until the end of November though since I missed the fall sign up I have to wait for the winter one. That's ok though, it gives me way more practice time and I cant wait! I'll be playing against adults and people my age which is a good thing since I'll be picking up tips and whatnot.

Now I have go out and buy a half decent racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i tihnk your arm's aches can be attributed to the frequency/intensity of your training. when i just started playing my arm aches for 3 days every 1 day i play, till it became 2 days, 1 day....and finally i can play 6 hours and my arm still don't ache.
    it's quite hard to tell you how to improve because we don't know exactly what's your level of play...maybe u can use the level of play thread 'checklist' and tell us what strokes u can do and what u can't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Schwartz,

I am interested in what you are doing because I find myself in a similar position. I sent you a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is that checklist? I cant seem to find it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey schwartz, if you live in Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver then you'll find lots of people on this forum who can point you to a good badminton club and get you training more than 2hrs a week

I had the same problem as you whenver i start playing badminton after a few months or so of not playing (not anymore now cause i joined regular 3times a week lessons; before i only played 1 month of the year due to other sports) with the paralyzed arm and stuff. Keep playing badminton regularly for another week or so and it should go away.

Also, if you just started playing badminton - i doubt you'll be able to win any even local tournaments yet-even if you are extremely talented. Work on just playing and getting better for a few (read: 6-12) months before aiming for a 1st place finish at a say; yonex series open or something.

good luck playing badminton :-D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by t3tsubo
    hey schwartz, if you live in Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver then you'll find lots of people on this forum who can point you to a good badminton club and get you training more than 2hrs a week

I had the same problem as you whenver i start playing badminton after a few months or so of not playing (not anymore now cause i joined regular 3times a week lessons; before i only played 1 month of the year due to other sports) with the paralyzed arm and stuff. Keep playing badminton regularly for another week or so and it should go away.

Also, if you just started playing badminton - i doubt you'll be able to win any even local tournaments yet-even if you are extremely talented. Work on just playing and getting better for a few (read: 6-12) months before aiming for a 1st place finish at a say; yonex series open or something.

good luck playing badminton :-D p.s i like men TEHEHEHE

yoooooooooooo funny story. i hated badminton until last year. started in september. played like a crazy man for 7 months straight. my life was literally school and badminton. and badminton videos. TEHEHEHE. anways. its been just over a year. OK HERES MY STOry........i played in a total of.....6 tournaments in the last year? got 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd and the other one..errrr.... !!!! mmmm....the point im trying to make is. it doesn't matter how much time you have left. ITS HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THIS GAME!!!! go for the gold! or silver. or bronze!!! w/e you can get. just never give up. youll have ur good days and bad days. IF U CANT PLAY BADMINTON! watch. lol......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cramps
    yoooooooooooo funny story. i hated badminton until last year. started in september. played like a crazy man for 7 months straight. my life was literally school and badminton. and badminton videos. TEHEHEHE. anways. its been just over a year. OK HERES MY STOry........i played in a total of.....6 tournaments in the last year? got 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 3rd and the other one..errrr.... !!!! mmmm....the point im trying to make is. it doesn't matter how much time you have left. ITS HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THIS GAME!!!! go for the gold! or silver. or bronze!!! w/e you can get. just never give up. youll have ur good days and bad days. IF U CANT PLAY BADMINTON! watch. lol......

i believe you but i guess e-town just has really really good badminton U16 players then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's fine with me if I get a 3rd place over a 1st place if I really did try my best and did everything I could to prepare. If I slack and get a 3rd when I know I could've done better, that's when I get angry.

And I've already found a badminton program in my town but have to wait a little bit before I can sign up for a new season. Until then, I'm trying to build up my stamina and flexibility and anything else.

The pain in my arm is gone now and I feel stronger because of it already lol.

I just need to go out and buy a racquet of my own and try anything I can to practice my butt off in all the free time I have. Also, I'm gonna talk to my coach and ask him about maybe adding another practice per week cause right now once a week isn't gonna cut it if he wants any of us of actually win anything :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by t3tsubo

i believe you but i guess e-town just has really really good badminton U16 players then.
    i wouldnt say someone is really good until theyve won a grand prix tourny =P
    until then. they suck and so do i. so try not to suck. and train harder.

*i like my wording mmmmmm*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cramps
    i wouldnt say someone is really good until theyve won a grand prix tourny =P
    until then. they suck and so do i. so try not to suck. and train harder.

*i like my wording mmmmmm*
    i dont think very many CANADIAN UNDER 16 players have won granprix tourneys

practice your butt off and you should get a lot better. Also play it for the fun of it. Its too bad most of the people in your class (gym at least) dont play very much badminton-its a social sport and having a friend to play against that is as good as you or better yet, better than you is a lot of fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    Now I have go out and buy a half decent racket.
    Good shoes first, a $10 racquet is OK if your in the right place a $200 wont get you there any faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree get a good pair of shoes, make sure their either indoor court shoes with gum under soles (but not indoor soccer shoes) or yonex shoes, not the most expensive ones thow, a beginner wont get better with expensive equipment, its just to much money to spend for nothing. but number one priority is a good pair of shoes, then think about other stuff later

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    if he wants any of us of actually win anything :P
    I understand your point. However, participate in a sport is not all about win a game or 2. Sure, everyone wants to be better, and everyone wants to win. But I would rather taking my time to learn the proper way, and save the best for the futher long run, rather try to get on the so-call "short cut", win an easy game or two against other beginners, but pay big prize later on, for hitting bottle neck due to lackness of basics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do care about winning or losing (i'm sure everyone does to some point), I just believe in working hard and trying your best as well. I'm really not ALL about winning, just going out there and giving it my all. It's what my coach expects of us, not what I want to achieve no matter what (shortcuts, cheating).

Just trying to clear that up cause I dont wanna come off as soon psycho who wants to win, win, win lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also expecting to win win win will hinder your performance, you will be to busy thinking of the next game or wining that u will lose alot of concentrration then after a couple lost points ur pacience runs out too, so just allways have in mind, like u said u just want to give it your all, just keep trying your hardest, thats what you should think of

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2