Trend in Singapore of equip retail

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Scooby, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Scooby

Scooby Guest

Wonder if anyone notices this, it seems that shops which used to sell badminton racquets are slowly phasing out their stocks and coverting to selling tennis racquets.

The 2 shops in Queensway for example, I noticed their badminton section getting smaller and smaller, usually replaced by tennis equipment. This could be due to the fact that tennis is more popular (not too sure) ? Or that margin for tennis racquet is higher ?

Anyway, this is a sad development. It might be that the only place we can go to in the future is World of Sports, or Royal Sporting House ! And of course the ridiculous prices they charged (MP100 going for $369 !), not to mention the lack of range.

2. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Its not popularity, its margin. You can sell a tennis racket for $400 and people won't even bat an eye. Tell them a badminton racket is $130 and they go like 'HUH ???!!! ' ....

Even if both have a 100% profit margin, the Tennis racket would sell better and still make $200 per racket to the Badminton racket at $65 per piece? Not to mention the total number sold ??

Its a sad thing, but its all about business.

3. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

That is indeed sad to hear this, considering the popularity of badminton all over the world.

Let us face it. Whether baddy is the second most popular sport to soccer or not it seems that baddy equipment is very costly.

Tennis is a rich mans sport and is not as easily accessible in 3world countries like the asian countries.

that is why tennis is not as popular as baddy in these countries.baddy is so easy to play. U can play on your drive way or over some divider which has ample space in either side.

So i can undersatnd scooby's worry and i def vouch for it.

Hail badminton!

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    We're talking Singapore here, no doubt we're in SE Asia, i consider this country to be a 1st world country not a 3rd. Though socially its still 3rd.

Just to give you an idea of what its like playing badminton in Singapore, they say they want to promote sports in Singapore. And get this, the court charges on the weekends for 1 hour is $7.20 or was it $7.40. it was 1 of those, $7.40 i think it was..... promote sports? my butt, so expensive

5. Kenny

Kenny Guest

Don't forget the cost of shuttle-cock, if you used 2 pieces for one game in 20 minute, it cost you nearly 5 dollars. It is the most expensive game.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is that with air con? If it is then it is slightly cheaper than HK.

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

It is so cheap here. A box of 12 AS models cost abt 20 SG$ and it lasts long enough for a singles doubles or singles game.

No air con here so i guess it is very cheap and as we play in clubs which charge us arnd 2Sg$.

So i guess it is dead cheap and that is one of th reason why it is so cheap.

I am sorry to have called all SE asian countries as 3 world countries.

I apologise to one and all abt this.