Seniors likely to be dropped for Asiad

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by ants, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    22nd OCT 06
    TheStar

PETALING JAYA: Three senior men’s doubles shuttlers – Choong Tan Fook, Lee Wan Wah and Chan Chong Ming – are set to be dropped from the squad to the Asian Games in Doha in December.

The trio gave uninspiring performances in the China Open and in an unprecedented move three youngsters are expected to replace them in the team for the Asiad.

In second round matches in Guangzhou on Thursday, veterans Tan Fook-Wan Wah suffered a demoralising defeat by Japanese Keishi Kawaguchi-Naoki Kawamae while Chong Ming-Kien Keat were beaten by the scratch pair of Xia Xuanze-Xu Chen of China.

It was the second consecutive early round exit for Tan Fook-Wan Wah after the third-round elimination by Indonesian youngsters Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan at the World Championships in Madrid last month.

Chong Ming, who competed in his first tournament after the death of his father last month, is not in his best condition.

In the absence of the three seasoned campaigners, Malaysia are expected to be represented by four first-timers at the Asiad – Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who have been earmarked as the future top pair for the country, did Malaysia proud when they emerged as the Japan Open runners-up to veteran Indonesians Candra Wijaya-Tony Gunawan last week.

All-England semi-finalists Fairuzizuan-Woon Fui also proved that they are a pair to watch when they emerged as Malaysia’s best performers in the men’s doubles of the World Championships, reaching the quarter-finals.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said yesterday that he found it difficult to accept the defeat of Tan Fook-Wan Wah by the unheralded Japanese.

“I am reconsidering Tan Fook’s and Wan Wah’s places in the Asiad squad,” he said. “I accepted their defeat by Markis and Kido at the world meet because this Indonesian pair are no pushovers. But the defeat by the Japanese pair is very, very disappointing.”

Rexy added that he would meet chief coach Yap Kim Hock and the BA of Malaysia (BAM) secretary, P. Ganga Rao, soon to decide on the fate of the senior doubles players for the Asiad.

“I am waiting for Kim Hock to return from Guangzhou. We will have to decide whether we still want to depend on the seniors or replace them with the youngsters,” he said.

Rexy added that they would accept nothing less than a medal if they retain Tan Fook-Wan Wah in the team.

“I will make them write a letter promising to deliver a medal. If they cannot live up to the expectations, they will have to leave the squad. This is another option that I can take,” said Rexy.

The Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) secretary, Datuk Sieh Kok Chi, confirmed yesterday that changes could still be made to the team line-up for the Asiad.

Meanwhile, Malaysia’s challenge in the China Open ended on Friday with the exit of women’s singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo, the women’s doubles pair of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty and the men’s doubles pair of Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif in the quarter-finals.

Mew Choo was beaten 17-21, 7-21 by top seed and Japan Open champion Zhang Ning of China.

World number six Eei Hui-Pei Tty gave their best but it was not good enough to beat Taiwan’s Chien Yu-chin-Cheng Wen-hsing. They were beaten 21-17, 7-21, 15-21.

All-England semi-finalists Teik Chai-Zakry also went down tamely after a brief fight against second seeds Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen of Denmark. They lost 18-21, 10-21.

n MEN'S SINGLES

Quarter-finals: Lin Dan (Chn) bt Chan Yan Kit (Hkg) 21-18, 21-17; Chen Jin (Chn) bt Taufik Hidayat (Ina) 21-13, 12-21, 21-18; Bao Chunlai (Chn) bt Chen Yu (Chn) 21-13, 22-20; Chen Hong (Chn) bt Andrew Smith (Eng) 21-17, 21-15.

Semi-finals: Bao Chunlai bt Lin Dan 18-21,21-19, 21-10; Chen Hong bt Chen Jin 14-21, 21-15, 21-17.

n MEN'S DOUBLES

Quarter-finals: Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng (Chn) bt Zhang Jun-Sun Junjie (Chn) 21-17, 9-21, 21-15; Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto (Ina) bt Keishi Kawaguchi-Naoki Kawamae (Jpn) 18-21, 21-14, 21-13; Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan (Ina) bt Xia Xuanze-Xu Chen (Chn) 21-18, 21-13; Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen (Den) bt Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif (Mas) 21-18, 21-10.

Semi-finals: Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng bt Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto 21-18, 18-21,21-13; Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan bt Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen 21-15, 21-14.

n WOMEN'S SINGLES

Quarter-finals: Zhang Ning (Chn) bt Wong Mew Choo (Mas) 21-17, 21-7; Wang Chen (Hkg) w.o. Zhu Lin (Chn); Mori Kaori (Jpn) bt Wang Yihan (Chn) 21-13, 21-14; Yao Jie (Fra) bt Lu Lan (Chn) 23-21, 21-19.

Semi-finals: Zhang Ning bt Wang Chen 21-13, 21-14; Yao Jie bt Mori Kaori 21-17, 21-18.

n WOMEN'S DOUBLES

Quarter-finals: Zhang Dan-Zhao Tingting (Chn) bt Seiko Yamada-Shizuka Matsuo (Jpn) 21-17, 21-13; Wei Yili-Zhang Yawen (Chn) bt Kumiko Ogura-Reiko Shiota (Jpn) 21-10, 21-14; Chien Yu-chin-Cheng Wen-hsing (Tpe) bt Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui (Mas) 17-21, 21-7, 21-15; Yang Wei-Zhang Jiewen (Chn) bt Wang Xiao Li-Ma Jin (Chn) 21-13, 21-14.

Semi-finals: Yang Wei-Zhang Jiewen bt Chen Yu-chin-Cheng Wen-hsing 21-12, 17-21, 21-14; Wei Yili-Zhang Yawen bt Zhao Tingting-Zhang Dan 21-15, 17-21, 21-16.

n MIXED DOUBLES

Quarter-finals: Zhang Jun-Gao Ling (Chn) bt Tsai Chia-hsin-Cheng Wen-hsing (Tpe) 21-7, 21-11; Xu Chen-Zhao Tingting (Chn) bt Hsieh Yu-shing-Chien Yu-chin (Tpe) 21-17, 21-12; Xie Zhongbo-Zhang Yawen (Chn) bt Sudket Prapakamol-T. Saralee (Tha) 21-12, 21-9; He Hanbin-Yu Yang (Chn) bt Robert Blair-Jenny Wallwork (Eng) 21-16, 21-16.

Semi-finals: Xu Chen-Zhao Tingting bt Zhang Jun-Gao Ling 21-17, 21-19; Xie Zhongbo-Zhang Yawen bt He Hanbin-Yu Yang 21-16, 21-14.

2. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

IMHO, I don't think this will happen.

If my memory serves me right, this is not the first time that CTF/LWW have landed themselves in the 'win-or-leave' situation. BAM still needs them, and I don't see Lin Woon Fui-Mohd Tazari as potential medallist.

I think BAM may be a little over excited at the new KKK/TBH success in the Japan Open. Asian Games is totally different than Japan Open, especially in the team event, can TBH perform under pressure?

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Personally.. i do agree with you. Maybe they should field TBH/KKK pair next year grand prix events. Not the Asian games. CCM is kinda slowed lately. But he is picking up the phase. KKK/CCM can stil perform.
    However i'm not sure about CTF/LWW pairing.. they seems unstable and i cant blame BAM for reacting that way.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, agreed, CTF/LWW have been very inconsistent lately. when they are serious, they can beat all the top pairs, but when they lose their focus, as they did in JO, they can lose tamely to unheralded pairs. perhaps BAM needs a mental coach as well!

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Fairuzizuan thrilled over chance to play in Asiad 2006

Greetings,

Here's another article: Fairuzizuan thrilled over chance to play in Asiad 2006.

Cheers... chris@ccc

====== start article ======

The Star Online
    Monday October 23, 2006

Badminton: Fairuzizuan thrilled over chance to play in Asiad
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Back-up doubles pairs Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui are all excited over the prospect of replacing veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah in the team for the Doha Asian Games.

Getting to feature in the Asiad for the first time will be their biggest career breakthrough.

But first the duo have to keep up their good showing in international tournaments at the invitational US$250,000 World Cup, which will begin tomorrow in Yiyang, China.

“It will be the biggest surprise for us if we are indeed named for the Asian Games. Coach Rexy (Mainaky) told us to be ready, just in case, a few days ago,” said the 22-year-old Fairuzizuan.

“Both of us have waited for an opportunity like this for a long time. We will be ready to take up the responsibilities.”

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are expected to announce changes to the men's doubles line-up for the Asiad soon.

[​IMG] WE’RE READY: Fairuzizuan (left) and Woon Hui are set to be named in the team for the Asian Games in Doha.

It is almost certain that Fairuzizuan-Woon Fui will replace Tan Fook-Wan Wah, who went down tamely to Japanese Keishi Kawaguchi-Naoki Kawamae in the second round of the just concluded China Open in Guangzhou. Another youngster, Tan Boon Heong, is expected to replace Chan Chong Ming in partnering Koo Kien Keat.

Boon Heong-Kien Keat did well to emerged as the runners-up in the recent Japan Open.

Fairuzizuan said that their selection would certainly make up for a major disappointment of not getting into the team for the Thomas Cup Finals in Japan in May.

The former national champions had high hopes of making the team following their good showing at the All-England where they reached the semi-finals. But the BAM opted for experience in the team.

“We got over the disappointment quickly and continued to train hard,” he said.

Thanks to their diligence, the duo emerged as Malaysia's best performers in the men's doubles at the World Championships in Madrid last month, reaching the quarter-finals.
    Fairuzizuan will be not be celebrating Hari Raya with his family in Taiping tomorrow. He will be gunning for good results in the World Cup.

“Some of the top men's pairs will be there. It is a good opportunity for us to create some upsets,” he said.

“Besides, the prize money is lucrative. I will try to make my duit Raya there.”

Among those in the fray are world champions Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun of China, Danes Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen and Indonesians Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto and Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan.

Besides Fairuzizuan-Woon Fui, the other Malaysians who will compete in the World Cup are Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Kuan Beng Hong, Yeoh Kay Bin, Wong Mew Choo, Julia Wong and Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty.

====== end article ======

6. malaysia boleh?

malaysia boleh? Regular Member

Don't Waste Paper

Mr Rexy, you must be joking..asking CTF-LWW to a write letter promising to come back with a medal (if not..get kick out from the squad). Don't waste paper lah. CTF-LWW sure come back empty handed. Just kick them out now. Give the oppotunity to youngster. Learn from Mr Li Yong Bo, he has the gut to leave out Chen Hong who has just been crown China Open champion. He selected Chen Jin instead because he wanted to give him an oppotunity to experience the big occation.