Best racquet for ~£50?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Quornflakes, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Quornflakes

Quornflakes New Member

I'll start by saying: Hi everyone! since it's my first post here!

I'm a uni/club level player getting back into the game after 18 months out, and my ancient Karakal Tti-720 (back from when I was about 14) has finally kicked the bucket after about 2 months of playing :crying:.

If anyone can recommend a decent racquet/vendor and some strings (21-22 lbs preferred) to go for it, that'd be awesome! I'm in London so I guess UK based suppliers would be easier. Pretty much an all round player and play singles / mixed / doubles. Currently using a borrowed M-tec 90 which I'm finding pretty nice, and am currently considering the M-tec 85 for £36.50 (special offer) with BG65TI strings @22 lbs (£10).

Looking to spend upto £55 on the racquet and £10 on strings (not including delivery charges), mainly going for durability since I'm a poor student :p

I'm definately not an expert when it comes to racquets and strings so all suggestions and advice are welcome. Thanks in advance! :)

2. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    How about a powerblade superlite? I find Carlton's very durable and they should easy enough for you to find and try out since you are in England.

3. Bigman

Bigman Regular Member

Student!
  4. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Stretch for the AT500 if you can.

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Would use centralsports quite happily, good prices, quick dispatch. For £50 I would be highly tempted by the Ashaway Ti130 or if you prefer the Classic head shape then the Yehlex YX66Ti is worth £50.

6. Bigman

Bigman Regular Member

Student!
    oh yeah forgot to add that i have used central sports several times and have never had any problems.

7. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    If you get on quite well with the M-Tec 90, it might be a good idea just to stick with it; at least worth considering.

As you'll already know, having quoted the M-Tec 85's price on Central Sports, the 90 is on there too: http://www.centralsports.co.uk/shop.php?page=detail&product=5693

£24.00

As for string, I'd suggest either Yonex BG80 at 20lbs, or Ashaway MicroLegend XL at 21 or 22lbs. (BG80 slightly lower as it's a thinner string, it'll feel tigher than a thicker string at the same tension. FYI, Factory strings are typically 0.70 to 0.85mm. Yonex BG80 is 0.68mm, whereas Ashaway MicroLegend XL is a similar string but thicker, at 0.73mm if I recall correctly)

Edit: The Ti strings (BG65Ti, BG68Ti, are disliked as far as my experience goes - by the majority. They're slippy strings and I'd suggest it's safer to go for a non-Ti string unless you really have the money to get it re-strung if you hated it.)

#7 SPaterson, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  8. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

YX66 Ti is really powerful, I still remember the first time I tried it, almost killed the other 3...