Flat Footed

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by t3tsubo, Oct 22, 2006.

1. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    Would being flat footed be a noticeable diadvantage in playing badminton? (Flat footed as in to arch on your feet).
    I have absolutely no arch at all and my foot is pretty much completely flat. I've read lots of articles about how flat footedness was a disadvantage in manysports that require a lot of running-but I've never noticed much difference except when running with a pair of shoes that have a huge arch support-then it get uncomfy.

Also, does anyone know if certain badminton shoes have no arch support? I would want to get one of those :rolleyes:

2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i was told that.
    disadvantage 1. poor stability in moving.
    disadvantage 2. won't be able to jump high.

3. Tianjin

Tianjin Regular Member

Student
    I believe there was another thread on this started by Kwun. I think some points mentioned were:

1) True flat-footedness is rare. Some believe they are flat-footed but actually aren't. (Can't see an arch, but it may be there) Wet your feet and imprint it on a peice of paper to check.

2) More prone to injury

3) Need to be more aware of ''staying on your toes.''

4. s239rt

s239rt Regular Member

just a few more tips, I am SOMEWHAT flat footed myself(with little noticable arch though). Agree with all the above mentioned. You might want to consider getting an insole for your badminotn shoe which I htink is MORE important than which shoe brand or model that you are buying. For me, I was told since OUR arches collaspe, so we better get a insole that has ARCH support instead. I tried both Green superfeet and yoursole(which been widely discussed here), I find yoursole fits me more, being "yoursole" has better arch support and was LABELLEd for usage or flat foot ppl. Again, try diff kind of insoles to find your best match. (ex, I got foot pain after games if no insole, with the PROPER one, I have no pains and feet are not as tired after games)

5. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    thanks for the replys. I dont think i have bad balance and i think i can live with having to be on my toes more :). Jumping isnt really a problem at my level- so im good.
    thanks again

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  7. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    im flat footed, not completely but i need orthodics to raise my arch my a little more then 1cm, yah im more prone to injuries, i can prove it, just this year i've sprained my ankle and twisted them 3 times. but after using orthodics in my walking shoes, its been getting better, if you flat footed go see your doctor so he can send u to a psyisio therapist to get u orthodics. it also damanges ur nees and lower back wen ur older, im only 15 and after badminton my nees and back make me fell like im about to die. :)

8. Angelofstorm

Angelofstorm Regular Member

Badminton Fanatic
    Hmm well I don't get many problems. Maybe in running it would be a disadvantage but in badminton you pretty much only need to sprint. And besides in badminton you move on the balls of your feet.