Yonex Warranty

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by player9, Oct 24, 2006.

1. player9

player9 Regular Member

Hi, all, I bought a Yonex AT700 from an Ebay seller. It cracked when I sprung it with 24lb tension. It was not completely broken, and I still finished it with less tension. It can not be used for serious play any more. I think this is because of manufacture fault. I contacted the seller, and he asked me to contact Yonex, Thiland. I did so. Yonex Thailand asked me ship it to Thailand for inspection. They said, if the racket was damaged by factory fault they would replace the new racket for me. Seems like I need to pay shipping, which is about USD60 two-way from US to Thailand (I bought the racket for about USD126 including shipping). Does any one have suggestions what should I do?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nothing much you can do, and you will be lucky if they do replace your racket. This is exactly I warn ppl who wants to shop oversea. All the warranty, duty, shipping, exchange, etc issues could really be an headache if you are the unlocky one. Of course, the cheaper price tag value is a bonus, but whether you want to take the risk, it's down to yourself. :eek:

3. player9

player9 Regular Member

Thank you for comments. The seller is in CA, USA. So for me, it is domestic purchase. But his rackets might come from Thailand. That is why he asked me to contact Yonex Thailand for warranty.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it doesn't matter to yonex if the ebay seller you bought it from is based in the states. you can only return US coded racquets to the yonex base in america. maybe the canadian one as well, possibly. are yuo even sure the racquet you bought is the genuine article and not a fake?

5. player9

player9 Regular Member

I hope it is genuine, because he has 100% good feedbacks on ebay, and several people here have metioned that he sells genuine rackets.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yonex USA only honors warranty to US (might also CD) code rackets. Any imported Yonex rackets, you have to test ur luck with the original distributor. :cool:

7. player9

player9 Regular Member

You are totally agreed. Now my question is: is it worth to ship it to and back to Thailand for replacement? I strung it carefully with 24 lbs, and it cracked, and I think it is a manufacture fault. However, who knows what Yonex Thailand will say? Even if it is their fault, I need to pay about USD60 extra. If they say no, I will lost the shipping for nothing.

I plan to buy several more rackets (fortunately, I bought only one first). Should I switch to another seller or try my luck once more? Any one has such experience?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have no idea about how Yonex TH runs. For Yonex USA, it's the same issue, as you need to pay S&H to get a replacement (unless dealer willing to help). It's down to yourself to make a decision, that whether you want to take a shot.

I don't know which ebay seller you were dealing with. However, if you know that's a real Yonex, and it's manufacture defect, then there's nothing to do with the seller/dealer/distributor. I know some of my local players purchased TH rackets through ebay (sumai03, I think). So far, they are in great shape. ;)

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Unfortnately 100% feedback is not a good form of measure to determine if the seller is selling genuine rackets because there sellers who have 100% and selling counterfeits.

What is the ebay seller's id?

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    well, if you don't do anything, you'll lose $126. If Yonex-TH declined the replacement, you'll lose $126+30 (not 60, because if they decline it, it's pointless to have them to send it back). If they do honor the warranty, then you will only lose $60.

Heck, I will send it back for a replacement in this case.

11. player9

player9 Regular Member

Hi, Matt, for the time being, I do not want to release the seller's id, because I am not quite sure what really happens (fake racket, or real one but I am unlucky). Sorry but thanks for concern. I will send it to TH and see what TH will say. TH must have an official conclusion. BTW, you said somewhere else that "As per Yonex authorized dealers (if the shop is one of them), they are only allowed to sell the coded racket of the country they are in." If the seller is not authorized dealer (he is in CA but sells TH rackets), will TH still thinks me as a "valid" buyer?

12. player9

player9 Regular Member

Yes, solid reasoning. I will send it to TH to see what will happen.

13. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi Player9,

Yes, for authorized dealers, they are only allowed to sell the country coded racket the store store resides in (ie. store in Canada, they sell CD). One of the policies being an authorized dealer is that they cannot sell on Ebay.

The question about the valid buyer is up to Yonex TH to decide if the want to honor it or not. They may ask for your proof of purchase.

#13 Matt, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  14. player9

player9 Regular Member

Hello, Matt,

I will ask the seller for a receipt with purchase date. When I contact Yonex TH, I did NOT mention that the racket was sold on eBay in US. It seems that it is very possible that TH will not honor the replacement once they find the racket was not from an authorized dealer.

15. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Just say your friend bought it for you from TH and it just broke earlier. Make sure you have a legit receipt from a legit dealer in TH

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree with silentheart.

You are the 2nd or 3rd hand buyer of this racket (even if it's never used). The actual buyer and seller are in TH mostly. As long as they 1st buyer and seller are within Yonex TH defined category (and they willing to help), you are still in good hand. ;)

17. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Yup, agree with the above.

18. player9

player9 Regular Member

Hi, friends, it sounds like too costly to do it. The only thing I can do is to see if the seller can provide such a "legit receipt from a legit dealer in TH".

19. tomblos007

tomblos007 Regular Member

player9 you are wasting your time and money to send it to thai yonex idont think you get what you want, since you buy it from ebay, what you can do is ask the seller to take their responsible ,

take the lesson from this case

20. player9

player9 Regular Member

I emailed him for a receipt. He said he does "not have anything that looks like a receipt from Authorized dealer that is discussed in the thread".