Please! Which racket should I get?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CrimsonRain, Oct 24, 2006.

1. CrimsonRain

CrimsonRain Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    I've been playing for two years already, but with pretty bad rackets. The racket's I've used were the Wilson beginner ones, one weighs 105g.

I'm only 14, freshman in my high school. I'm probally gonna be able to get into Varsity since I play with varsity members in my high school every week.

I'm more of an all-around, but I can focus on either one. I have a family member who reccomended me the AT800 OF, but I can't find anyone willing to sell it for a good price. I am a Singles player (I have endurance and speed rather than relying on a teammate).

Though I'm not sure AT800 OF is right for me. I'm not that good, I never recieved training, and I don't know some techniques. Everything I learned was from watching other people and my friends play.

I've used some of my friend's rackets, Isometric (21?) and Carbonex (8600 or 8400?) Both were really old, and I don't really remember the numbers. Both the rackets were pretty good, but I felt it they weren't the lightest.

I guess I prefer a Yonex racket 3U or 4U under $130. Though I don't think I want a really fancy racket, since I never recieved any special training.

Can anyone suggest a racket for me?

2. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    hmm, good yonex ones under $130? Better of with other brands if you want good racquets. The carlton airplade and powerblade series are good and they're under 130.
    if it must be yonex tho, low end MP like 22 or 33 is an alright racquet

if youre a beginner definetely dont waste your money and a high end racquet like AT800, by the time your good enuf to use it to its full poltential there will be a better racquet

3. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    Well, price isn't really important for me right now, since I can go to Hong Kong and buy it for about 30% less than in USA. I've looked at the Muscle Power series, they look pretty good to me. But I'm not sure which one is better (for singles) So I really need some suggestions from you people T.T

4. BaddGolfer

BaddGolfer Regular Member

I haven't played with it yet, but based on the feedback on this forum from reliable sources, SOTX Woven 8 at around US$90 is probably a good choice for an all around racket under $130.

P.S.: Please no flaming for recommending something I haven't tried yet! I am sold on the feedback on that racket from some of the elite members of this forum. :)

5. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

For singles, I would recommend the Armortec 300. It's a "long" racket at 674mm with an Isometric head and Yonex lists it as having medium flex so it should be easier to use for a beginner compared to a stiffer racket. The Armortec 300 is close to your price limit, but since you are planning on playing singles, there is little chance that you will clash with another player and break it. If the 300 is too expensive, you could also have a look at the Armortec 150. Depending on where you are purchasing the racket, the AT300 comes in 3U and 4U. The AT150 appears to be availible in 3U only.

I find Armortec rackets to be lighter overall but having a heavy head so they are a little harder to swing compared to other rackets. If possible I would try to demo the racket first to see if it feels right. Lastly, if you don't mind paying a little more, I would recommend purchasing a racket in the US with a US serial. That way, if it breaks from a mis-hit it will be covered by a warranty.

Good luck.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Pure $$$ point of view, I will say cab30ms (3UG4) which is retailed around US$110 range. However, with the stiff shaft and oval head frame, it might not be very forgiving for a beginner level of player. However, once you get use to this racket, you will love it, as it packs a lot of power and have good control. One of the top one in Yonex, from performance vs. price (US market only) point of view.

Also, do take a look at some other non-Yonex brand (SOTX, Yangyang, Kason, Winex, BK, Gosen, etc), as your $$$ is a little bit limited for most of Yonex high end rackets. YOu might consider get a decent racket, and save some $$$ on shoes and training. Without the proper strokes and footwork, good rackets still wont improve your game that much.

Try to demo rackets from local shop or fellow club members (rent or borrow), and do some drills. Then, you can elimate most of them, then, let the availability and price do the final call.

7. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    try kason for the price range of 50 to 70

long, head heavy and light rackets

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Not elite, but. It's an excellent recommendation. it's between about 3U(mine was 85grams, a very light 3U) 670mm long and even balanced. stiffness is medium (less stiff than an at500..). plus it's a rather sturdy racket, and should (should!) last you a long time...I hope..
    If you go to HK, definatly check this one out...
    (BTW, I tested the 12, wich is basically the same, with different material inside, probably a higher modulus graphite)

9. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

L.B. : I almost suggested the Cab30 MS :) .

CrimsonRain: Yeah, the Cab30MS is a great racket. Excellent power; should be great for singles. It's sweet-spot is a little smaller than on my Armortec700, but when you hit it... BOOM! If you don't mind oval, I would definitely give the Cab30MS a try. Cheers.

10. CrimsonRain

Pharmacy Student
    Thanks guys! I'm looking at all the rackets u mentioned and it's really helpful!

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Yes, Cab-30MS should give you a good combination of performance and cost. Try it and see how it work for you.

12. tomblos007

tomblos007 Regular Member

cab30ms i try twice borrowed from a friend easy to handle than my cab 21 sp

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If possible, try to demo the rackets that we suggested. It's down to you to make the final decision, and only you know yourself the best. ;)

14. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    I got a pair of beautiful Yonex Nanospeed 9000s for sale, PM me if interested.