flick serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by eerky, Oct 24, 2006.

1. eerky

eerky New Member

Hi all, i am new to this forum and considered new to badminton.

i am having problem with my flick serve. i can't seems to be able to lift my shuttlecock high and far enough. It will usually ended up mid court which my opponents could easily kill it. how do i improve on the flick serve? does it got to do with my wrist strength or more to the technique? i wanted to have a variable of serves to make it not predictable.

another problem is my weak backhand. i have difficulty trying to hit the backhand to the baseline, thus the usual shots i take is drop shots.

2. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

hmm...have you ever tried practicing this kind of serve? for me at least that's what i do until i somehow learned to do it, oh by the way, i practice it in the court all by myself several times, heck! a lot of times! and then try doing it in a real game and see what improvements you can do next time you practice by yourself..hth

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

lots of info around the forums. flick serve is mainly wrist control and strength, the technique is pretty easy to master in a high flick serve. for backhand learn the proper stroke first and then practice it. you should use around the heads though.

4. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    the only way to get it ,is to eat a lot of shuttlecock at serve:you have to do
    few mn before to play game,
    MING

5. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I think everyone sucks when they first start trying to do a backhand flick serve. You mid court everyone and get it drilled back at your face, but you only get better by practising.

Practice on an empty court and keep using it every once in a while in games to mix it up and you will get better.

Good luck. :)

6. morewood

morewood Regular Member

The difference between the long and short backheand serve is 99% wrist, lots of practice will help without doubt.

7. darenong

darenong Regular Member

backhand flicks helps if ur target opponent is not really tall otherwise u just have to flick it really high if they r tall or really fast (jumps really fast) ... try controlling the height of the shuttlecocks and to the back before applying speed to a trickery flick .. i dun do backhand serve thou hehe

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Minimal wrist power is required for flick serve. The power can be manipulated by the placement of your thumb. For instance, if your thumb is on the cone, your flick serve would generally have more power than if the thumb is on the shaft. Experiment by shifting your thumb and hand along the axis of the shaft until you get the right power. Generally, you would have greatest directional control of the flick if your thumb is closer or on the shaft. But deeped your thumb is placed onto the shaft, the lower power you would have.

Tall or fat opponents are excellent candidates for a good flick. They carry a huge backwards momemtum when they move back to deal with the flick and they become quite vulnerable immediately afterwards.

9. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    A flick is done by "flicking" {faking a short shot} the wrist in a back hand motion while serving up close to the net , hitting it high and deep ?
    Do I understand it correctly?
    Thnx

10. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    I don't have alot of chances to play badminton with fat opponents... but how often would you see them stand close to the service line???:confused: Don't they usually stand rather back?:p Most of them have brutal force because of body weight and can smash rather hard even without proper technique.:eek:

Anyways, good point about them having trouble dealing with flick serves because of backwards momentum.:p

One more thing is that from my perspective, I really dislike some players at club level whom would flick serve elderly or ladies(assuming at club level)...

#10 bananaboy, Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Using these will not give you a good flick serve. Using thumb and fingers give better disguise.

12. woicye22

woicye22 Regular Member

Turn your body to double up the power, use ur wrist to control the direction and angle. hard to describe the foot position by words.....

13. woicye22

woicye22 Regular Member

and mind the way you hold the grip when serving a backhand shot....for me, I hold the grip in the way that just like a 'thumb up' gesture. I'm not sure whether it's correct or not. If not, pls correct me here..

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Flick serves can be forehand or backhand, but backhand is much more effective because it employs more wristwork, hence injecting an element of surprise, and the shuttle flight path is shorter. The objective of the flick serve is to prevent the receiver from attacking your low serve everytime. It is only the constant threat of this flick over his head that contains him and affords the normal low serve a certain immunity. A good flick serve must have length and an optimum height that is neither too low nor too high.
    The wrist is sharply uncocked at the last second, with the thumb and the fingers being used.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

An effective flick serve derives its element of surprise and motive power from the wrist, not from the thumb or fingers. Just try this : lock your playing hand wrist and palm with your non-playing hand and then try to move your thumb and fingers in the direction of the serve. It just cannot be done. The thumb and fingers are in the service of the wrist to give direction, friction and added power. By themselves, they have no power and no element of surprise. Only the uncocking of the wrist at the last second can do these.

16. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

Ahhh, my flick serve was not coached. I use what comes naturally. My flick involves thumb pushing, wrist bending, and clockwise forearm rotation. Wrist is only one third of the ingredient. I dont find it more important than the other components.

I have never asked my opponets if my flicks surprised them. But I do know they can't receive my serve the way they wanted to. People tell me that the serve should be used only to start a rally. But I prefer to use it to put the reciever off balance. I see no reason not to be offensive on a serve.

#16 CoolDoo6, Nov 1, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The backhand serve is done two ways-one with the racquet vertical, the other with the racquet held at an angle of 45 degrees. Their effects are different. Asians almost all use the 45 degrees technique.

18. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    True, most Asians I see do use the 45 degree one. However, I try to learn all techniques possible, so I try not to use the 45 degree one.

The flick, besides being used to "flick" it over their head, can also be turned into a drive by simply lowering the angle. It's more risky, but it's right at their face, and even if they're aggressive, they typically can't attack this very well, and will with drop or clear, or a weak drive, unless they're really good. It's basically a drive, just off a serve. This is especially useful when you can't just get it over those really tall/mad jump skills people.

For the flick, you can also try a clear at a slightly lower angle and apply a slice. If done right, it looks like a low angle clear, but will drop before they expect it to. But practice is key.

19. Boney

Boney Regular Member

teacher
    I think I have an understanding of the FLick being a quick get it as high as you can and deep serve using the wrist. Is there a video of how to do the Flick.
    Thnx for any help
    P.S I am going to try it this Friday,,,,,,,,,, hope none of the guys I play with are here..lol lol

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No. The flick serve should not make use of body rotation for power. Body rotation is too crude for net play. Use a short, sharp movement with the fingers, wrist, and optionally a small amount of arm rotation.

Taneepak's posts in this thread give very good advice about the use of wrist and fingers together.

No. A flick serve is not the same as a high serve. Your objective for the flick serve is to hit the shuttle upwards as shallowly as possible without allowing the opponent to intercept it early. The desired effect is to make him hit the shuttle when it is near the back of the doubles service box, and behind his body.

A high serve will give him too much time to move backwards, and he can play a full smash easily.

#20 Gollum, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2006