Singapore's NUSS Annual Badminton Friendly with PAUM Malaysia

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Loh, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    For 21 years the National University of Singapore Society (NUSS, a social club for graduates of the NUS, local and foreign universities, not to be mistaken as an alumni) and Malaysia's PAUM (Persatuan Alumni Universiti Malaya) had organized annual home-and-away games, which we call the PAUM Games, that began in 1984.

Whilst the political leaders of both countries may hold different views and policies from time to time, and some of these may create tensions in both countries, the leaders of NUSS and PAUM did not allow such diversions to affect their relationship and continued with their traditional games irrespective of the political climate. Such a tradition has helped to cement ties further.

This year's 21st NUSS-PAUM Games were held in Kuala Lumpur and a total of 85 participants from NUSS made their way to KL on 15 September. A total of eight games were played including Soccer, Billiards, Golf, Badminton, Table Tennis, Squash, Bowling and Tennis. NUSS lost all but two of the games. The wet weather did not help NUSS either.

Pleasantly, Badminton was one of the games that we won apart from Bowling. Badminton was introduced to the PAUM Games about five years ago and Malaysia, being a traditionally powerful badminton country, had always beaten us. But we had a strong line-up this year with two of our strong members originating from Malaysia and one from Vietnam. Still the matches were tightly fought and we were neck-to-neck until the last and deciding match. We shocked Malaysia with a narrow 4-3 win. All matches were men's doubles with one mixed doubles and one women's doubles. There was one men's veteran doubles for players 50 years and above. :)

The Journey to KL

Most of us boarded the coach which took off at around 2.14 pm instead of 1.30 pm due to the rain. Travelling with us were players from soccer, billiards, squash and table-tennis. Badminton's contingent consisted of 10 players, three of whom drove up to KL themselves as they are Malaysians.

The entire journey took about five hours with an hour's stop at Yong Peng for refreshments. The interesting movies shown in the coach kept most of us occupied.

Not long after we arrived at Crystal Crown Hotel in late evening than we joined our Malaysian friends for supper at one of the better known PJ restaurants. Then we toured Chinatown at Petaling St and some of us were attracted to the fake Rolex watches on sale at the 'pasar malam'.

Next Day

Our badminton team had gathered early this morning for breakfast at the hotel and thereafter for Go Kart at the Alam Shah stadium circuit.

We had to put on the unsightly helmets before we stepped into the 'toy' cars which were adorned with dirty marks all over but who cared. The mechanics started the engines and we raced in free abandon on the wet track protected on both sides by old car tyres piled on top of each other. Many of us put on full throttle by depressing the accelerator to its fullest when we were on the straights but were spun around in circles many times when we negotiated the turns and corners. There was little thought for personal safety and the rattle, vibration, shaking and dirty water sprays did not dampen our spirits.

After Shah Alam, we proceeded to the popular 16-court Taman Megah Badminton Centre to shop for badminton equipment while a few of us tested the courts. The price here was not cheap.

Then we adjourned for lunch at a popular coffee shop where I selected a few pieces of Yong Tow Foo to go with my Chee Cheong fun, whilst some others preferred the Malaysian version of Hor Fun and other local delicacies.

Trip to University of Malaya campus

By 1.30 pm we again assembled at the hotel lobby for our coach to bring us to UM for our badminton match. A slow drizzle had started and the new driver had some difficulty finding the venue. Our Malaysian friends were ready and waiting for us. The competition was tough and we were all level at 3 matches each. PAUM had two strong Indian players, one a very tall one well over 6ft. But only the shorter Subra won a match for them playing mixed doubles. Their ladies were much stronger than ours and they won the women's doubles as well. Unfortunately I also lost in the veteran's doubles. So the 4 points came from our younger male teammates and it was a very narrow but shocking win for us. We should expect our Malaysian friends to put up a stronger team next year.

Dinner at Sheraton Subang

The traditional dinner was the best way to bring the two teams together to joke about their exploits and defeats on the field and on the court. There was entertainment from the "Bati" combo band, whose members were dressed in colourful kampong-style attire topped with a pointed straw hat. A few of us danced to their cha-cha and rhumba music as well as the Malay Ronggeng and Joget.

The Boat Race

Another highlight to round off the evening's celebrations was our traditional Boat Race. This represented the last challenge from the two societies in a contest of beer drinking. Three guys and a gal from each side volunteered with each team lining up against each other alongside a rectangular table on stage. All will have to finish every drop of water from the beer glasses, filled to the brink for the guys and half-glass for the gals. The leader will start first and when he is through by placing his empty glass upside down on his head, his second will take over doing the same thing until the last member has finished. Whichever team has finished first is the winner. NUSS was leading but towards the end, PAUM caught up and it seemed a dead heat to most but the judges declared NUSS the winner in the end! :D

Before we finally departed, our Malaysian veteran friend brought us to the "Titanic" for a swinging and drinking time!

Next year, we will meet again in Singapore! ;)

Some pictures for you:

Attached Files:

#1 Loh, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Looking good as ever there Loh!

3. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    Is that kai xin and nicky in the picture?

#3 sg2303, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes my friend and may I know your name? When are you joining us at NUSS. We currently have a membership drive which will cost you virtually nothing. PM me to find out more if you are really interested in badminton. ;)

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Good to see you guys enjoying urselfs in KL.

6. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    wah NUS number 1 and 2 in the team. Still remember the times when i got thrashed by them.:(
    I am interested in badminton but too lousy to be part of the team. :p

Simon

7. madman

madman Regular Member

I am sure Simon is being too humble. His smashes is one of the most lethal around. Seriously.

8. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Good to see you again, Loh and glad to see that you enjoyed the trip to KL. As always, I enjoy reading your posts and also seeing all the very lovely pics.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Uni

Great pictures. The jln gasing ipoh chicken rice is really good. I like it as well. Next time when you are at taman megah, shd try the Pangkor Curry fish head at the corner next to fatty crab. Very popular and mouth watering. try the lala and the crabs.:D

If you feel like playing UKM let me know. My agent is there.

rgds

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Thank you my friend and all others who contributed. Simon should join the NUSS team to make it stronger. Otherwise, next year we might get a thrashing from PAUM. Thankfully, extremenanopower is not part of the Malaysian team. :)

11. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    :eek: :eek:

hehe, i would regard myself more as a "frame hitter" and mistake king!!:eek: :eek:

Loh,

I would like to give it a try but i cannot commit much time (work + tuition). And my standard is way below Kaixin and NIcky.

But then, how do i go about joining the NUSS badminton?

Thanks!

#11 sg2303, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Glad that Kaixin dropped by Serangoon last nite to play few games with us. Not too sure if he would join us at regular basis but I do hope so. Oh yeah, Aaron also joined us lately. Wasnt in good form last nite and looking forward to playing against Kaixin soon.

Jimbo

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Jimbo,

Kaixin seems to be playing all over the place! He is popular!
    Hope you can give him a good fight. For me, I wouldn't want to fight him but rather be his double's partner. :D

14. modious

modious Regular Member

Hi Loh, who's the player from Vietnam? I think my Vietnam friend should know him. :D

There're quite a few really good Vietnam players in S'pore from what I know.

#14 modious, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Nicky Hoang, in green striped T-shirt during breakfast and in yellow T-shirt, 4th from the left in the group pic on court. Nicky graduated with 1st class honours from NUS this year and used to be a member of Vietnam's national team when he was much younger and before he came to Singapore to study.

Can you identify him in the bus?

16. modious

modious Regular Member

Ah yes, Nicky. :)

Heard from my friend Minh Thang that he used to be the best Vietnam player in S'pore but now there're younger ones in S'pore who were also in the Vietnam National Team.

#16 modious, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Are these younger ones studying in our universities or colleges? Good to have them in Singapore and I hope to be able to see some of them in action in our local tourneys! ;)