Story: How can a CBG-100 cost you $70

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by bluejeff, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    All right, as someone said to me, the S&H is irrelevant to the prices of the product, I would like to share an old story on the CBG-100 cost $70. (for those of you have heard it before, please bear with me as someone might not heard it before :) )

Remember the good old days when we have the group ordering going on?
    A person came to me and ask me if I could order a pack of CBG-100 for him. To him, the string is new and he would like to try it out, and so, I told him it will cost $14 to do so.

So, the person heard $14, and started to wonder why it is so expensive? Expecially after discounts, it should be somewhere like $10. He thought that I cheated him or something, and at the end, he didn't join the group buy and he said he is going to order it from the same store himself.

What happened to those $4? Why did I tell him that?
    Well, in case you are not familiar with the process of ordering, here is what you will need to know before you buy things from overseas.
    1. Many stores do not take credit cards, not to mention paypal.
    2. Bank transfers have receiving cost.
    3. Some stores do charge you transaction fees on top of the shipping fees.

So, ordering from Japan, here is the base cost before you order anything:
    Wire fees: 25(sending), Wire fees: $25 (receiving), Currency conversions 3% + transaction fees. Then, it's your items costs plus shpping.

So, what he heard back from the store if he just want to buy a pack of CBG-100 himself:
    Wire fees (send and receive): $25 x 2
    Currency Conversions (USD to Yen): $2+ (I will forget those few cents)
    CBG100: $10
    Shipping: $10 via EMS
    Grand total: $72
    Of course you can guess his reactions when he heard this back from the store.

So you might see my point here, S&H does matter. In this case, the string is $10 while the other fees are $60+.
    Is it still a good deal? That's a good question. It will be based on your personal values on things. If you must have certain things, then it's probably OK with you.
    My point is, you might want to consider all the costs related/attached to the item before you buy anything. It's the same idea as bidding on eBay, where you need to watch out on those auctions where the price is $9 for a racquet and S&H is $91. (I hope you don't consider you spent only $9 on the racket rather than the $100, or there will be problems :p )

PS: By the way, anyone want to guess the results on whether he did buy it from the store or not? :D

2. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Not sure who said S&H is irrelevant, but they would be plain wrong. You should always figure in the S&H and other costs to the total cost of the item(s) you're ordering, then compare it against the local retail price.

Group buys or getting lots of stuff in one order is always a better thing to do than ordering just one item. If you then decide to sell off the extra stuff that you bought, you always figure in the S&H and mark up the price of the item accordingly.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

sorry, But what is S&H? I'm plannign to order grip in bulk from Tennis_warehouse, so does this affect me?

4. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

S&H = Shipping & Handling.

Some countries use the term "P&P" for Postage & Packing/Packaging

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Oh ok, great, thank you....
    so were could I find this? would it be on tennis-warehouse.com, or soem government site, on www.dutch-land.nl or something?(;) ) I really don't know inda new to this importign stuff, because so far we've ordered some shirts&strings from bbe without any further payment (+6% for paypal, but that's it) and a big package from sotx...for the bbe-stuff not taxes, for sotx a mediocre sum to pay...

buying grip from TW wóuld be very cheap..if there isn't a $100 SH...does anybody have a rough estimation of how much SH is/can be?

EDIT: it's used to be dutchland without the "-" but that's an existing site...

#5 jerby, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  6. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

The tennis-warehouse.com website should tell you the S&H cost once you checkout with your order.

I've ordered from bbesports and they actually charge you S&H on top of the Paypal fee. S&H is the shipping cost you paid to have your order shipped from Beijing to your country.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u forgot one more potential punch to the face, custom duty and tax.
    i buy from ebay alot recently and often S&H is 1 to 2X of the merchandise invoice. When my items cost many 100's of $, > 1x invoice value in S&H and taxes is painful:( Also, some dimwick sellers declare a value more than actual invoice (thinking they are doing me a favor in case lose or damage i may get good compensation:rolleyes: ), the custom duty and gst gets even more painful:(

#7 cooler, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  8. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Hey cooler, I understand what you mean about the taxes. What's really crazy is that they've started charging GST on high value packages even when declared as "gift". You'll have to contact them if you decide you want to contest the charge and you know what a pain in the a$$ that can be.

One good thing about bbesports is that they will declare your order at a low value if you ask them to. Revenue Canada usually doesn't bother with packages that are declared less than $30.

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    There is a big and complicated problem shipping to Canada. That is, the shipping insurance thing. If you buy the shipping insurance, by the regulations, you will have to declare it to the same amount of shipping insurance does. (For example, if you insured the package to be $1000, your custom declaration must be also $1000, or you will void that insurance). Then, since you have $1000 on this custom form....then you will have high change of being taxed.... :p

If you don't buy it, then people might worry about it (especially Canadian custom is often slow, and made people think they have lost the package).

Hey cooler, you wanna guess what that person did after he heard about the $70 cost from the store? :p :p

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Oh yea, for people who are oversea (not in USA), Paypal charges "over border" fee to payments, which is usually 1% or so to the total, in case you guys need to calculate the total cost.

I just realized this thing few months ago when I bought something expensive.

So, sometimes PayPal charges as high as 5-6%, or if you are all dealing within the US, it's something like 3-4%

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    BlueJeff.. you forgot about the Custom tax.

12. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

I'm not cooler but I'll take a shot at your question anyways.

He came back to you on his hands and knees with his tail between his legs asking to you to pretty-please take his lousy 14 bucks. :D And you naturally said no-way-jose!

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, u were correct bluejeff. In my cases some of the sellers 'round' up to whole numberd, eg $77 sale and then insured for $100, etc :mad:

on your question, hmm, did he pm u back begging and pleading u to sell a packet nanogy 95 to him for 14$?

(oops i didnt read pedro22 post when i wrote this post)

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    nah, that dude was so pissed off the store told him about that $70 cost, and he ended up bidding online for 5 packs of BG65Ti from a china seller :p