differences in 2U and 3U?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by john, Aug 1, 2001.

1. john

john Guest

hi folks!

is there a significant difference in 2U and 3U racquet in terms of performance? i personnally have never tried a 2U and 3U racquet of the same model, so i don't know how 'different' they are. is there any noticeable difference in power or control? if yes, how big is the difference?

2. Well, I'm no expert compared to some of the guys here but there is a huge difference between the 2. I recently switched to a heavier stiff racquet and I can't believe how much more power I have with more weight. I am very strong and large for a badminton player, so if you are lighter you might want a lighter racquet, but for a strong armed or wristed player, I like heavier racquets. Of course that's going to depend on the person. I have found my timing is better, and so is control as I can feel where the racquet is better with more weight.

3. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    yes, heavier racquets mean more power....assuming you have the proper technique of course. the 3u racquets are obviously more fragile since they have less material in them, but they are easier to move around and causes less fatigue when playing a long rally in a singles game :p

4. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    For me, I still like 2U rackets better as the weight difference is not that significant to me. Generally, I find that the rackets are generally more stable with more weight. Like I like my MP-100 and Ti-10 over my ISP-900 in terms of stable pushes and returns. However, I find that a light racket is good for practicing all the basics to get them correct as the power you can generate is very dependent on how well you contact the shuttle and how fast you can swing it.

However, for strength and control practice, a heavier racket is better. Like a U racket would be excellent for training your drops and net shots. But not hard smashes as the momentum would take too much out of the effort required anyway.