Are there two China national teams?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2006' started by 2cents, Oct 28, 2006.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I noticed that some players from China national team always wearing FedEx logo, such as Lin Dan, Zhang Ning, all the famous ones. Others like the newly crowned World cup champion Wang YH, don't. They don't have FedEx logo, but have some others companies logos. Is that the way to distinguish the team one and team two? any ideas?

2. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    I think the 2nd team is sponsored by Kason, SOTX, or some other company.

3. Cruise

Cruise New Member

there are three levels in the China's national team

It's easy to figure out.
    at the moment ,there are three level national badminton
    team in China.
    The top one is called "China badminton team" sponsored by
    Yonex and Lindan,Baochunlai,zhangning,Xiexingfeng belong to
    this team.
    the second team's offical name is "China Youth team" is associated with Kason, a demestic badminton equipment comepany. Actually ,Wanyihan,the new-born champion is
    from this team.
    the third level team ,"China Junior team" is just founded in this Augast,supported by Victor ,another china's company.
    In this case,players aged 12 yrs ,are selected to train in Nanjing, a city in southern china.

4. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

yup , CRUISE answered all of them :)

5. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    Will there be China badminton team 1 and team 2?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe Victor is a TW based company. They do have local branches (and manufactures) in CHN, though. :rolleyes:

7. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    but you didn't mention anything about FedEx which is the most eyeball-catching everywhere. The Yonex sponsored team is the same FedEx team?

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    FedEx is also a main sponsor for the national team (team #1), I believe. :rolleyes:

9. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

With the FedEx in front of the shirt, it is hard to imagine that they are not the main sponsor :rolleyes:

10. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

In fact Wang Yihan is wearing Kason clothes because she is in the Junior team .. and kason is their main sponsor.
    And Yes there is 2 teams in China
    The team A : They are the only team who can be qualified to events like WC, OG, AG ... etc and of course they are the strongest and participate in all tournaments .. ( like Lin dan, Bao chunlai, Zhang Ning, Xie xingfang gao ling, huang sui etc etc ... )
    and the team B : they can only participate in few tournaments, but they are also really strong and can be compare to the top 20 in the world ranking !
    Few players in the B team : Li yu, Chen Li, Wu yunong, chen lanting etc etc .. many strong players =/ But i don't know why, they appear more and more rarely

For example: Hongyan said she was in the B team but after she won a bronze medal in the China Games she tought she would be in the A team but the headcoach didn't add her in the A team .. so she came in france ^^

#10 Syaoran_Style, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maybe because she had left the country and played in Europe for a while? She played registered under Denmark for a while (I think it was Denmark).

12. indra

indra Regular Member

Although China has 3 or four layers...China's domination is beginning to decline now...especially in MX and MD...Ina is on the rise and taking over again in these 2 sectors...Other sectors will follow suit

13. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    :D :D :D IMO, 3 or 4 layers is enough :D :D :D they will always have players coming up to dominate in all 5 events every few years :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) :D

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I don't think CHN dominate these two disciplines anyway. XD was dominated by KOR, and MD by INA. Since 2003 no one nation has dominated theses events however.

15. other

other Regular Member

Student
    China has never dominated the MD (weak link) ie the the last 2 times china won the world champs was li yong bo/tian bingyi and cai/fu.....a rather large gap :D

maybe chang/gao are double olympic champs but still no great signs of domination from the china squad as a whole.

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Although majors are what count generally it is worth pointing out that GL/ZJ majors won were "against the grain". IE Kim Dong Moon and Ra Kyun Ming were the global dominators in 1999-2000 upt to the OG, and again until 2001 WC, then once again in the OG2004. This is perhaps the only blight on KDM's career.

On Majors alone however I agree ZJ/GL are the dominators. 1*WC, 2*OG, 3* AE wins cannot be matched. Given that when these were gained when KDM/RKM were in their prime it really shows what champions they really are! But not dominators. ZJ likes to peak for the big ones. GL is just good all of the time!

17. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I beg to differ here! The 3-4 layes are the strength of the China badminton heirarchy to ensure that are continous supply of not one by a group of quality players up the ranks years after years. This structure would allow China to be at the top of the badminton scene for the forseeable period.

For MD and XD, China has never, in my opinion, been dominent in these 2 areas before. In Asia, MD has always been a equal fights among the Korean, Indonesian and Malaysia (not in particular order), once a while China will produce a team or 2, but never consistent enough to be a dominent force. Whilst XD has been Korea's strong hold for sometimes, but that starts to change a bit these few years.

I think in any system, it is easier to train and develop an individual champion rather than a team champion because once it involves more than a single person - compatibility, communication, harmony on and off the court, co-operation, mutual-understanding etc comes into play and become much more complex. Sometimes it will take a long while to realise the pair may not work at the highest level. I wonder sometimes, those most successful double teams (whether MD, WD or XD) are put together by design or by chance.

#17 Linus, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  18. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

From what I heard, Victor is from Nanjing, Jiangsu Province ....... the 2nd best racket in China after Yonex ......... even better than SOTX.

and also it is normal if every country has 3 different team, e.g. Indonesia has Pelatnas-A, Pelatnas-B and Pelatda, while Singapore has National Team, Youth Team and Junior Team ........ this is for regeneration scheme.

19. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

gue gak setuju nich Bung Indra ....... I disagree with you ......
    since last time, these 2 numbers (MX and MD) weren't dominated by China.

for MX, eventhough China won 2 Olympics Gold Medal (in 2000 and 2004), but many pairs could dominate one in another .....

worst even in MD, after Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi, no China MD could win big tournament except Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng in last Spain WC2006, but after that, they always lost and lost ......... and if see the history, this number mostly dominated by INA players (except in the 80's for Park Joo-bong/Kim Moon-so as well as Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi and Sidek brothers).

20. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

of course Bronze medal is not enough for Team-A (National Team) ........ maybe this story could be used for explanation : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/badminton-central/content/view/10/26/

Team-B normally for Junior Team (some country used term "Youth Team")

Quoted from the above link :
    The China Badminton Team oftened held competitions between the A and B team. (The A team is the group that represents China in international tournaments) Any player from the B team that manages to beat some quality players from the A team convincingly, would be able to rise up into the A team.

After I watched the video of Wang Yihan beat XXF, I'm pretty sure she will use Yonex attires in future short time ......